Create New Property

I created a property called steering of the root node, in this case the frame of a vehicle. I then set the wheels (rotation), steering rod (rotation and translation), steering gear (rotation), control rod (rotation and translation), and steering wheel (rotation - twisting). I select all of these plus the root node, right click the new property and select ERC Freeze. When I test this, wheels, steering rod, steering gear, control rod work great. However, the steering wheel does not twist properly on the pivot point, the pivot point changes and I do not know why. I reset the pivot point but that does not fix it. I also have this issue with the hood which is a two-piece hood. What they have in common is that the pivot is at an angle but they work fine if not used with the property. For instance, after setting the weight with the weight brush tool for the steering wheel, I can control the twist under rotation and the steering wheel rotates correctly. What am I missing?

Comments

• Did you memorise the rigging in its default state,  before applying the ERC freeze?

• When I set the pivot for the Steering, I did try an ERC Freeze. Is this not the same?

• Okay, I found the memorize. I am going to give that a try.

• That fixed it! Thank you Richard, I did not realize that when creating a new property, it will also save if the node is visible. When I did the ERC Freeze on the new property, The frame was not visible (turned off the eye in the scene tab). When I use the controller, the frame disappears. Cool, that is nice to know.

• The main issue is that ERC Freeze links any property that isn't in its default state to the controller, so if the bones have been moved from their default (which is always along an axis, so the angled bones will have been) ERC will link the adjustments in their position to the cotnrol property, which isn't the desired effect.