Strand based hair not rendering

Using Kensington hair. Works perfectly, simulates well, renders well - last week.

This week, same computer, same scene, same settings (AFAIK) but only cap renders. Hair is set to show in render. But doesn't render in 'render' or in 'NVIDIA Iray preview'. But DOES render in 'spot render'!

A few tests show same problem will all dforce hair....

Any thoughts?

Hair OK.jpg
732 x 444 - 276K
Hair gone.jpg
742 x 456 - 352K

Comments

• felisfelis Posts: 4,191

Which tool do you have selected?

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,387

Not showing in Iray preview is the default behaviour: strand based hair uses a lot of resources so by default it's hidden in Iray preview.
    You can modify the parameters of the hair so it shows in Iray preview: withthe hair selected go in the General section of the Parameters pane, check that Preview PR Hairs is "On" and set Viewport Line Tesselation to at least 1.

Not showing in a full render usually means you have selected one of the tools which can modify the figure it's based on, like geometry editor, joint editor, dForm or mesh grabber for example. In that case DS can't compute where the strands should be, so they don't show.

• morcodddmorcoddd Posts: 1

Thanks.

Meanwhile moved from 4.20.0.2 to 4.20.0.8 and everything back to normal so I'll have to wait until it happens again to try your suggestions!

• dforce strand based hair only rendering if the joint editor is selected in daz 4.20

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,316

tonyjas46_1cccd9144e said:

dforce strand based hair only rendering if the joint editor is selected in daz 4.20

Do you mean the opposite? Which is the correct behaviour.

• It renders for me well in the final render unless I run out of graphics memory (the viewport preview is another matter, discussed in many posts here).

To debug, try lessen the number of hairs and points in the PR settings of the hair surface.

If it renders, say, half of the initial hair strands per guide, then it's probably that, and then you should act accordingly - loose some characters, use render layers ("canvases"), reduce Sub-D resolution and so on.

• TsubaTsuba Posts: 78

Also make sure your tool settings aren't set to mesh grabber or the hair won't show up in preview.

That one took me a while to finally realize...