how do I roll back to 4.15/4.16? 4.20 is just unusable

windli3356windli3356 Posts: 230

Or is it even possible at all? If so, the roll back option hid itself pretty well.   

If not, what's the reason? all major dev tools/platform allow users to keep their favoriate version to comply to users concurrent working enviorment, it'd be silly if Daz doesn't allow users to roll back a version.

Usually I won't be the person to complain about a new update, but 4.20 is just a vastly vastly inferior version compare to any version came before it.  now I spent most of my time trouble shooting than creating stuff, can't even do stuff I usually able to complete in 5 mins. 

1. workplace layout always reset to default everytime I restart, and after you saved your new layout, it won't show in the dropdown, it just doesn't work.   

2. iray rendering pipeline is utterly broken. all my old scene automatically look worse and it takes ages to reilluminate the scene which still won't look as good as the old

3. iray render crash far more often, render slower than before (when it works) even on the most powerful CPU/Ram/GPU money can buy 

I'm sorry but 4.20 should never be released, it's straight up anti consumer.  

See attached for example, this exact same scene would finish rendering at 1min 20 secs on my RTX3090 in version V4.15, now with V4.20, it's pending forever........ 10 mins after it doesn't even initiate.... 

broken.png
604 x 612 - 50K
Post edited by windli3356 on

Comments

• Catherine3678abCatherine3678ab Posts: 8,249
    edited March 2022

We need to keep the installers we've downloaded and use them to reinstall older editions of D/S.

This might help with the changes to Lighting that were made.

Post edited by Catherine3678ab on
  • Ryuu@AMcCFRyuu@AMcCF Posts: 653

windli3356 said:

Or is it even possible at all? If so, the roll back option hid itself pretty well.   

If not, what's the reason? all major dev tools/platform allow users to keep their favoriate version to comply to users concurrent working enviorment, it'd be silly if Daz doesn't allow users to roll back a version.

Usually I won't be the person to complain about a new update, but 4.20 is just a vastly vastly inferior version compare to any version came before it.  now I spent most of my time trouble shooting than creating stuff, can't even do stuff I usually able to complete in 5 mins. 

1. workplace layout always reset to default everytime I restart, and after you saved your new layout, it won't show in the dropdown, it just doesn't work.   

2. iray rendering pipeline is utterly broken. all my old scene automatically look worse and it takes ages to reilluminate the scene which still won't look as good as the old

3. iray render crash far more often, render slower than before (when it works) even on the most powerful CPU/Ram/GPU money can buy 

See attached for example, this exact same scene would finish rendering at 1min 20 secs on my RTX3090 in version V4.15, now with V4.20, it's pending forever........ 10 mins after it doesn't even initiate.... 

I have run into similar problems with LAMH. After consulting with AlessandroAM, he told me that somewhere around 4.13, DAZ did something that killed the LAMH functionality. Worse, ever since 4.17 or so, even dForce no longer works on my machine because DAZ complains that my GPU is out of date--- even though DAZ has NEVER recognized my Nvidia GeForce GTX 460 GPU card, causing my CPU to do EVERYTHING from simulations to rendering--so why does it bich NOW about my GPU card which it had simply ignored after all this time???

So, I tried to reinstall DAZ 4.10 and only have gotten some partial success in that at least it doesn't instantly crash for me even thinking about loading more than one LAMH project in the scene--but it's still slow as molasses and rendering is hit&miss at the best of times. LAMH won't render in Iray with Iray textures applied (but at least it's not crashing like it was doing with 4.19), it will only render in 3Delight with Iray textures, and only if there's nothing else in the scene! And NO, the LAMH WON'T show up at all in the 3Delight render with 3Delight textures applied, either (which is what it was created for!). Evidently, the download process while trying to install 4.10 is STILL pulling in some updated .dll files or somesuch that's causing all my problems.

• 1. has a potential fix in the Public Build - if enough people use that and there are no reports of issues it will be rolled out in a General Release; if you wish to test it and add to the data pool please do so. In the meantime there is a workaround My workspace resets every time I reopen Daz. - Daz 3D Forums

2. this is probably down to ghost lights. There are partial workarounds, discussed in the beta threads, and Daz is certainly aware of the issue - however, the behaviour was relying on an undocumented feature that turned out to be something nVidia considered a bug and fixed.

3. are you sure your drivers are sufficiently up to date? If not the render may be dropping to CPU. Even if it isn't, the ghost light change will mean there is less light than before in soem scenes, which will certainly impact the rate of convergence.

• SquirrelSquirrel Posts: 33

IRT #3, my system always has to use CPU rendering (AMD gpu), and I briefly tried the 4.16.1.34 open beta before 4.20 came out. Render time was astronomically slower. I am not going to touch 4.20 until there is acknowledgemnt of the slowdown, and a fix. The scenes I saw the slowdown in were no less lit, they were just vastly more grainy given the same amount of time to render.

I didn't realize that once a new update comes out, the old version of Daz can't be downloaded. It looks liked even using the reinstall option in DIM will just insall the current version, not the one you have installed. I hope I am wrong, and there is a way to get the 4.16.0.3 installer to keep around as a backup, because the idea of WE ONLY MOVE FORWARD, NO BACKSIES is an absolutely obsurd software release practice.

• NorthOf45NorthOf45 Posts: 5,438

Squirrel said:

IRT #3, my system always has to use CPU rendering (AMD gpu), and I briefly tried the 4.16.1.34 open beta before 4.20 came out. Render time was astronomically slower. I am not going to touch 4.20 until there is acknowledgemnt of the slowdown, and a fix. The scenes I saw the slowdown in were no less lit, they were just vastly more grainy given the same amount of time to render.

I didn't realize that once a new update comes out, the old version of Daz can't be downloaded. It looks liked even using the reinstall option in DIM will just insall the current version, not the one you have installed. I hope I am wrong, and there is a way to get the 4.16.0.3 installer to keep around as a backup, because the idea of WE ONLY MOVE FORWARD, NO BACKSIES is an absolutely obsurd software release practice.

Before you download a new version, copy the current (older) .zips into another folder that DIM does not see. Don't forget to include any plugins that are DAZ Studio version-dependent (they will be numbered with the same version and release date). To install an older version, remove the current (newer) .zips and copy the backup into the regular download folder, and go offline. DIM will refresh, and the files in the download folder will be ready to install. (I hope that is still the case, haven't done that in a long time).

• SquirrelSquirrel Posts: 33

NorthOf45 said:

Before you download a new version, copy the current (older) .zips into another folder that DIM does not see. Don't forget to include any plugins that are DAZ Studio version-dependent (they will be numbered with the same version and release date). To install an older version, remove the current (newer) .zips and copy the backup into the regular download folder, and go offline. DIM will refresh, and the files in the download folder will be ready to install. (I hope that is still the case, haven't done that in a long time).

That may be the issue... I can't locate the .zips. My Daz was installed on Mac with DIM. I can't find a cache for the installers. 

• NorthOf45NorthOf45 Posts: 5,438

If you have already downloaded the new ones, the old ones are most likely gone. DIM (on Windows) does not recycle old files, they seem to be permanently deleted.

• windli3356windli3356 Posts: 230

Catherine3678ab said:

We need to keep the installers we've downloaded and use them to reinstall older editions of D/S.

This might help with the changes to Lighting that were made.

I use Daz central(the way Daz wanted their new customer to manage content) to download the launch client, so there's no older installer for me unfortunately.  If I knew 4.20 would be this broken, i'd never updated in the first place.  

Now I ask Daz staff why didn't they keep all their older, known working version in place like all software company do in case some catastrophic issues appears in their new version.  

Ryuu@AMcCF said:

windli3356 said:

I have run into similar problems with LAMH. After consulting with AlessandroAM, he told me that somewhere around 4.13, DAZ did something that killed the LAMH functionality. Worse, ever since 4.17 or so, even dForce no longer works on my machine because DAZ complains that my GPU is out of date--- even though DAZ has NEVER recognized my Nvidia GeForce GTX 460 GPU card, causing my CPU to do EVERYTHING from simulations to rendering--so why does it bich NOW about my GPU card which it had simply ignored after all this time???

So, I tried to reinstall DAZ 4.10 and only have gotten some partial success in that at least it doesn't instantly crash for me even thinking about loading more than one LAMH project in the scene--but it's still slow as molasses and rendering is hit&miss at the best of times. LAMH won't render in Iray with Iray textures applied (but at least it's not crashing like it was doing with 4.19), it will only render in 3Delight with Iray textures, and only if there's nothing else in the scene! And NO, the LAMH WON'T show up at all in the 3Delight render with 3Delight textures applied, either (which is what it was created for!). Evidently, the download process while trying to install 4.10 is STILL pulling in some updated .dll files or somesuch that's causing all my problems.

So how do you install older version? via DIM? reinstall 4.15/4.16 will solve my issues at once, these older versions were nearly flawless for me 

Richard Haseltine said:

1. has a potential fix in the Public Build - if enough people use that and there are no reports of issues it will be rolled out in a General Release; if you wish to test it and add to the data pool please do so. In the meantime there is a workaround My workspace resets every time I reopen Daz. - Daz 3D Forums

2. this is probably down to ghost lights. There are partial workarounds, discussed in the beta threads, and Daz is certainly aware of the issue - however, the behaviour was relying on an undocumented feature that turned out to be something nVidia considered a bug and fixed.

3. are you sure your drivers are sufficiently up to date? If not the render may be dropping to CPU. Even if it isn't, the ghost light change will mean there is less light than before in soem scenes, which will certainly impact the rate of convergence.

Thanks for your workaround suggestion, but as I was doing that, I asked myself "why in the world I have to put myself thro this?" Daz is a platfrom based on paid 3rd party content, and now the platform itself isn't working properly not only that it broke nearly every old products sold previously and now I have to spent all my time and patient to troubleshooting for this broken version?  

Roll back to older version exist in nealry all 3D platfrom, Unreal let you roll back to any version of UE4 and never enforcing their users to move on to UE5, blender can do that, CAD let you do that, why DAZ has to be red hood child? 

• Ryuu@AMcCFRyuu@AMcCF Posts: 653

windli3356 said:

Ryuu@AMcCF said:

windli3356 said:

So how do you install older version? via DIM? reinstall 4.15/4.16 will solve my issues at once, these older versions were nearly flawless for me 

I didn't try to use DIM as it would only allow me to install the latest version. I tried to use the downloadable .exe package that existed way back then, as I always made a point of collecting those. However, I don't think my attempt was successful in avoiding the flaws that had crept into the builds over the years.

• Ryuu@AMcCF said:

windli3356 said:

Ryuu@AMcCF said:

windli3356 said:

I didn't try to use DIM as it would only allow me to install the latest version. I tried to use the downloadable .exe package that existed way back then, as I always made a point of collecting those. However, I don't think my attempt was successful in avoiding the flaws that had crept into the builds over the years.

DIM will isntall a non-current version, but only while working offline.

• DamselDamsel Posts: 382
    edited March 2022

Is there any logic to "no backsies" other than "we don't acknowledge our mistakes"? Because Adobe doesn't do that. You can have as many versions of  Photoshop as you want. by the way, having to HIDE your backup from the installer because it will DELETE it without your permission is ... certainly an interesting strategy. I don't think I've ever heard of a company doing that.

Post edited by Damsel on
  • AgitatedRiotAgitatedRiot Posts: 4,404
    edited March 2022

windli3356 said:

Thanks for your workaround suggestion, but as I was doing that, I asked myself "why in the world I have to put myself thro this?" Daz is a platfrom based on paid 3rd party content, and now the platform itself isn't working properly not only that it broke nearly every old products sold previously and now I have to spent all my time and patient to troubleshooting for this broken version?  

Roll back to older version exist in nealry all 3D platfrom, Unreal let you roll back to any version of UE4 and never enforcing their users to move on to UE5, blender can do that, CAD let you do that, why DAZ has to be red hood child? 

It would mostly depend on the issue with the product and the age of it. If a product is deemed too old to update, then (Useable Pro-Noun) will no longer be able to offer support on it. So with each upgrade older products you have, will lose any and all support. I can not tell you how I came by this information.

Post edited by AgitatedRiot on
  • AgitatedRiot said:

windli3356 said:

It would mostly depend on the issue with the product and the age of it. If a product is deemed too old to update, then (Useable Pro-Noun) will no longer be able to offer support on it. So with each upgrade older products you have, will lose any and all support. I can not tell you how I came by this information.

a) that dosn't say how old too old will be
    b) the policy will be a matter for the individual PAs to decide.

Richard Haseltine said:

AgitatedRiot said:

windli3356 said:

And this part, "It would mostly depend on the issue with the product"? Just a question nothing else. When Daz updates and people's stuff stops working because Daz broke it, would that be depending on the Issue?

• AgitatedRiot said:

Richard Haseltine said:

AgitatedRiot said:

windli3356 said:

And this part, "It would mostly depend on the issue with the product"? Just a question nothing else. When Daz updates and people's stuff stops working because Daz broke it, would that be depending on the Issue?

Again, you seem to be quoting one person as beinding on all - different PAs will not necessarily decide in the same way, or with the same values. I woild assume that the bit you quote means it would be a question of what was broken and how far-reaching the consequences of fixing it would be - a complete rewrite is obviously less likely to happen than a quick tweak to one line in a module that has a very limited, specific role - but that still doesn't indicate how likely a given fix would be for a given PA.

Then I think an item that doesn't work, they have should have clear labels on which version they work on. So some sap who bought something say for instance 2021-09-11 8:16:24 PM. Would know the product would not be fixed nor supported. Remove from the store products that have reached the point that any issue or being deemed too old to support. So new buyers don't buy the wrong products. IMHO

• AgitatedRiot said:

Then I think an item that doesn't work, they have should have clear labels on which version they work on. So some sap who bought something say for instance 2021-09-11 8:16:24 PM. Would know the product would not be fixed nor supported. Remove from the store products that have reached the point that any issue or being deemed too old to support. So new buyers don't buy the wrong products. IMHO

But if it's a matter of how fixable the issue is, rather than an absolute cut off, they won't know until the tiem comes to make chnages - and as far as I know no-one yet has DS 5 to test.

Richard Haseltine said:

AgitatedRiot said:

But if it's a matter of how fixable the issue is, rather than an absolute cut off, they won't know until the tiem comes to make chnages - and as far as I know no-one yet has DS 5 to test.

True, I know for a fact that this issue arose in 4.15 I can't say how I know. Said item is still being sold on the market.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,013

AgitatedRiot said:

Richard Haseltine said:

AgitatedRiot said:

True, I know for a fact that this issue arose in 4.15 I can't say how I know. Said item is still being sold on the market.

Which issue? No issues with 4.15.0.2

The issue is with a product and it's been ongoing since 2021. Daz works really well for me, IMHO if a product is deemed too old to support should be removed from the store. I can understand the first part if the PA died totally acceptable. If the PA decides they don't want to fix it because it's too much work, then it too should also be removed from the store. So customer doesn't get stuck with products with no hope to fix them. Just so you know the product now says compatible with 4.20, Still broken.

Now, 4.5 coming out and we know it's going to break things.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,038
    edited March 2022

I only update betas these days and still zip up the entire folder of the previous version including plugin dlls and all in in situ in case I need to roll back.

It is now just a matter of when rather than if the latest version of DAZ studio will become unusable for me on my computers which has been the biggest reason I only buy older stuff now, I am simply not touching new releases any more, the few I have bought this year have all been problematic.

This and other issues has not stopped me buying DAZ products, but I increasingly concentrate on Genesis 2 and earlier stuff now if on sale as it works in Carrara and Poser.

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on

WendyLuvsCatz said:

I only update betas these days and still zip up the entire folder of the previous version including plugin dlls and all in in situ in case I need to roll back.

It is now just a matter of when rather than if the latest version of DAZ studio will become unusable for me on my computers which has been the biggest reason I only buy older stuff now, I am simply not touching new releases any more, the few I have bought this year have all been problematic.

This and other issues has not stopped me buying DAZ products, but I increasingly concentrate on Genesis 2 and earlier stuff now if on sale as it works in Carrara and Poser.

Yes. I took a break from 2007 until maybe late 2021. So a lot has changed, and I may be too critical on this subject also because of all the newness. I'm also an old fart and resemble these Z Grouchy Mood - Poses and Expressions for Floyd 8 and Genesis 8 Male | Daz 3D Maybe I need to dip my foot back into poser haven't used it since 2007.