Thin Fantasy Woodland Hair

Hello,

I put Fantasy Woodland Hair on Welda and did a few renders on white to highlight the problem. I may be doing something wrong, or missing a setting I can tweak. Her hair is quite thin in the "wings." Any suggestions?

-Highland

800welda-woodland-hair.png
1333 x 800 - 583K

Comments

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,866
    edited March 2022

Is that a Filament render? The hair is designed for the Iray render engine. Filament often has issues with rendering hair.

Or is it just a viewport preview and not a render at all? Render it in Iray and it should look fine.

Post edited by barbult on
  • HighlandHighland Posts: 161
    edited March 2022

No, that's an Octane render. The same thing happens with Iray but is not as pronounced.

Just read your edit. Here is an Iray render.

800FullRender-01.png
    1333 x 800 - 1M
    Post edited by Highland on

Sorry, I can't help you with Octane. I've never used it.

edited March 2022

OK, if I get the angle just right, I can reproduce your problem with Iray. It must be due to the Cutout Opacity map on the hair.

Aiko 8 Fantasy Woodland Hair Iray.jpg
    800 x 800 - 183K
    edited March 2022

In the Surfaces pane I selected the Hair_01 surface and used the gear icon to adjust the parameter settings to turn off limits. Then I increased the cutout opacity of Hair_01 from 1 to 2. There are other ways to deal with this, too, like adjusting the Instance Color setting with the built in Image Editor.

Aiko 8 Fantasy Woodland Hair Iray - Hair_01 Cutout 2.jpg
    800 x 800 - 189K

Knowing nothing of Cutout Opacity maps, I Googled. https://www.versluis.com/2020/09/iray-opacity

I experimented (after backing up the original file) changing the T_Hair.jpg file to all black in PS. That created Sinead O'Connor (no hair).

After seeing your update I changed the cutout opacity for Hair_01 from 1 to 2 as you suggested. Brilliant!

Just a few questions: why Hair_01 and not the other six? And having made that change, how do I save it with the hair?

TYSM!

I chose Hair_01, because it looked like it covered most of the head, and that alone seemed to be enough. I came to the conclusion that Hair_01 covered most of the head by using the Surface Selection tool, which highlights the surface in the viewport. You could change cutout opacity of all the hair sections (leave the cap alone) by something less than 2, probably, but that would be more work, so I left well enough alone.

To save the change for future use, select the Fantasy Woodland Hair in the Scene pane and then save a Materials preset (File>Save As>Material(s) Preset). Save it in your Content Library, so you can find it later inside Daz Studio. Later you can apply that preset after loading the hair on another character in another scene. I wouldn't recommend changing the hair file itself. This cutout opacity change is not usually needed. The problem seems to be dependent on lighting and camera angle.

In Dazstudio in the Octane Render Materials tab there is an opacity section for Hair_01. There is a hard limit of 1.0 for max and no way to increase it. However below that is a 'power' setting which was set to about 0.3. I set it to its max of 1.0 and it gave the same effect which a Cutout Opacity of 2.0 did in Iray. Her hair looks solid in both renderers.

Your advice is much appreciated. I learned a lot today.