Structure in Content Library Messed Up?

I installed some new things and tried and tried to find them, and eventually I did after searching the library etc. So I had it open it under the mapped folder in content library, and I was looking around at some other things in that category and it seemed like there was a lot missing, so I looked at the structure, and this is what confuses me. I'm going to explain this the best I can.

So when I added the directories under content manager, I added each category folder, plus the overall folder to catch anything that had been installed previously (these were originally my runtime folders. So basically here are a few of what I have:

D:/PP2018, D:/PP2018/Sets & Props, D:/PP2018/G8F, etc. So the thing I'm not understanding is when I go under content library tab, what's under the folder Sets & Props is different than what's under the folder Sets & Props that is under PP2018. I double checked, it's not that I have two different folders and spelled something wrong, etc. The nested folder has a lot more stuff. So what am I doing wrong? it seems like maybe I only should have added the outer content folder? but I thought you were supposed to add each runtime/category folder? All I know is this is why I can't find half of my stuff, it was under the other folder.

I hope I explained that right. Thanks.

ETA I wanted to check something it's hard to see what's in that category because there is so many so I went into one I have less. I can see the nested ones also have data readme and runtime folders which the others do not

Post edited by scullygirl818_02147fecb6 on

Comments

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,866
    edited March 2022

Never list nested folders in the Content Directory Manager. Only include the top level folder for each hierarchy. for example, D:PP2018, not all the subfolders. However, if D:PP2018 is not really a DS Content Library (it does not contain data, runtime, etc.) it should not be listed at all, and instead, you need to list the folder(s) that DO contain data, runtime, etc.. But no nested folders.

Post edited by barbult on
  • edited March 2022

barbult said:

Never list nested folders in the Content Directory Manager. Only include the top level folder for each hierarchy. for example, D:PP2018, not all the subfolders. However, if D:PP2018 is not really a DS Content Library (it does not contain data, runtime, etc.) it should not be listed at all, and instead, you need to list the folder(s) that DO contain data, runtime, etc.. But no nested folders.

Thanks that's probably why I can't find anything and there are so many folders to look through. I assume that has nothing to do though with what I set DIM to? PP2018 is basically the "runtimes" folder I just started naming it by poser version when I would reinstall everything which I quit doing after 2018. I don't know if it's considered a content library, I guess so. It's just the outer folder all the runtimes are in. I don't install things under documents/daz 3d etc.

Question though, if I loaded stuff from those nested folder in my save files, that shouldn't affect loading saved files after I remove the content directories should it?

ETA - removed them thought it was better because there were less files but now wishing I hadn't - most of the thumbnails under smart content now do not show up. I thought maybe the one I was looking at didn't happen to work but no, tried adding back one of the runtimes and suddenly the icons worked...clearly I can't use those instead of the main folder since there are files missing in the nested one. Ideas? (I only use DIM to install)

ETA2 now the products don't work! I am so confused...Had to add them back. So some exist only in the nested among PP2018 but taking out the other content directories stops others from working...

Post edited by scullygirl818_02147fecb6 on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,866

If you only used DIM to install, then your Content Library is the one you have configured in DIM. That is library folder what you should have added to the Content Directory Manager.in both the Daz Studio Formats section and the Poser Formats Section.

You probably need someone else to help you. I don't understand your descriptions of the folders you have or how you have configured your Content Directory Manager. I don't know what you mean by "my save files". If you are talking about saved Scene files, then yes, removing Content Libraries from the Content Directory Manager will absolutely affect loading those, because Scene  file only contain references to the items in the library, not the items themselves.