Lights no longer working? Iray Preview hanging up

First time I've had to sit down and make a scene since the 4.20 update.. 

My lights don't seem to be working anymore, and when I try to preview a scene with more than 1 figure (gen8.1) it just keeps "Preparing Scene..." over and over.
I'm not sure what the deal is. I'm tried resetting to defaults. I tried re-installing Daz. I've tried re-loading preset render options that I've been using for years.

Nothing's working.. help?

Comments

• JethalJethal Posts: 35
    edited March 2022

Through more experimentation, it's not that the lights arent working.. they're incredibly dim.  I had to crank up a candle to a billion lumens to be seen

see attached screenshot.. every lamp on the posts have a light.. but i had to really crank up the one of the right in order to the seen

Screenshot 2022-03-03 142903.jpg
    1342 x 525 - 204K
    Post edited by Jethal on
  • That looks like a variant on a ghost light - a sphere instead of a plane with a very low opacity. nVidia considerd the behaviour a bug (real objects don't behave that way) and has set the luminosity to be multipled by the opacity, hence the sudden dimming. You can try dividing the luminosity by the opacity (just copy the opacity value, then edit the lunimosity byt typing / after the current value and pasting in the copied opacity).

You're right!  Opacity was set at 0.00000001 causing the lights to dim.  Changing the ghost lights to 0.5 brought them back.. but also made the "ghostlight" visible.. which means that they're useless now.  I'll have to find another way of lighting the scenes..

• AXReaperAXReaper Posts: 13

This is dissapointing, I suppose I need to learn other methods to improve lighting allowing better renders now.

The latest update is proving problematic, especially for inexperienced users such as myself.

• TogireTogire Posts: 408

There is a script to fix ghost lights https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/548061/iray-ghost-light-fix-dse-for-daz-studio-4-20-o-later

Alternatively, the new behavior is that luminosity is multiplied by opacity before rendering. So another solution is just to increase luminosity wrt the opacity of the ghost light (for instance if opacity is 0.0001=1/10000, just multiply luminosity by 10000).

If you want details, there are at least 10 recent threads on this topic in the forums.

edited March 2022

alainmerigot said:

There is a script to fix ghost lights https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/548061/iray-ghost-light-fix-dse-for-daz-studio-4-20-o-later

Alternatively, the new behavior is that luminosity is multiplied by opacity before rendering. So another solution is just to increase luminosity wrt the opacity of the ghost light (for instance if opacity is 0.0001=1/10000, just multiply luminosity by 10000).

If you want details, there are at least 10 recent threads on this topic in the forums.

I will give it a shot thank you for this information. From what I have been reading though, ghost lighting leaves more fireflies now sadly. Fixing the  NVIDIA issue is nice but it will take some adjusting to. 

Post edited by AXReaper on

With the mentioned fix everything seems to be working fine, no fireflies as of yet, though I will admit my scene is very evenly lit.

-sighs-

yeah, all the native lights (spotlights, distance lights, etc.) are no longer working at all for me.. seriously wth

• IceCrMnIceCrMn Posts: 2,126

Sounds like you've got something going on with your install, or configuration, maybe even GPU drivers.

Posting a test render showing your problem along with the log of that render would help alot to diagnose what is actually happening.

edited March 2022

IceCrMn said:

Sounds like you've got something going on with your install, or configuration, maybe even GPU drivers.

Posting a test render showing your problem along with the log of that render would help alot to diagnose what is actually happening.

I just re-installed Daz3d and tried again.. here are screenshots of my viewport, rendered scene, and my log 

Yes, as my log will show, I have 2, RTX 2060's

txt
    txt
    log.txt
    1M
    test1.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    test2.jpg
    1391 x 879 - 160K
    Post edited by Jethal on

i just found the issue 

by messing around with the spotlight settings, it never occured to me to change the "Light Geometry".  Point is not working anymore.. but every other setting does. And of course, as we already established, I have to crank up the lumens.. but, it works

Screenshot 2022-03-05 225945.jpg
    1306 x 648 - 204K

i just found the issue 

by messing around with the spotlight settings, it never occured to me to change the "Light Geometry".  Point is not working anymore.. but every other setting does. And of course, as we already established, I have to crank up the lumens.. but, it works

There are some issues with those old drivers

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/7277496/#Comment_7277496

You have driver 472.39 installed and your 2060's can run the current Studio driver 511.65.

Unless you need that ancient driver for some other software, I would update it.

IceCrMn said:

There are some issues with those old drivers

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/7277496/#Comment_7277496

You have driver 472.39 installed and your 2060's can run the current Studio driver 511.65.

Unless you need that ancient driver for some other software, I would update it.

updated that last night.. didn't make a difference.

This is a fresh install of daz and drivers
    perhaps my settings are just messed up

Maybe, I know I spend a lot of time with lights and lighting.

Just finished this one this morning.

It's lit with just the HDRI.

The rest of it is tone mapping and other settings.

note: The png version wouldn't upload, so this is the jpg version.The colors are a bit off.

The Tax Collector_Forum Version.jpg
    3840 x 2160 - 1M

ok.. it was definately my settings
    I found an old scene subset that I saved the tonemapper and enviroment options with (i normally dont save those with the scene) and the results were great.

Just saved a blank scene with my custom settings and loaded a more complicated scene and it works great
    see below for my optimized scene file

Screenshot 2022-03-06 090615.jpg
    971 x 544 - 146K
    duf
    duf
    blank.duf

yes, much better.

Good to see you have it sorted out :)