Is there a way to export or save your custom categories setup in the Content tab?

My content library has grown fairly large and I've started relying on the Content Tab over Smart Content more and more lately. To keep things a little more organized I've created a custom categories structure in the Content Tab, and I spent a few hours over the weekend setting it up in a way that suits me. However, I've seen one or two people mention that they created similar setups with custom categories, only for it all to be erased or reset with an update to Daz Studio.

I'm wondering if there's some means of copying, saving, or exporting your custom categories setup, placing a backup of it somewhere safe, and then being able to "reimport" it into Daz Studio in the event that an update wipes it all out?

Or maybe there's a better and more reliable method that would be safe from any updates? Like creating a custom folder structure in your drive and creating shortcuts to assets or something?

Thanks in advance guys.

Comments

• NorthOf45NorthOf45 Posts: 5,438

All that good custom info is stored in the CMS database. You can export it from the Content Database Maintenance utility (right-click on Content Library tab) with the "Export User Data" selection. One or more files (UserData_n.dsx) will be created in the Runtime/Support folder, which can be used to "Re-Import Metadata" if needed. This presumes that the files are intact, along with the metadata for all installed products. Backup, backup, backup...

Some users back up the entire CMS data cluster. You can see the location in Preferences (F2), CMS Settings. 

• Awesome, that's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks very much NorthOf45!