Insert Flag or Marker in Log File?

Sometimes when trying to troubleshoot a problem in DS, I find myself slogging through the log file, scrolling up and down wasting time trying to find the elusive start of a particular render or something like that. Is there some way to add a custom message line to the log file say, just before I begin a render or at any other time I choose? Would streamline troubleshooting for me.

Maybe someone has written a script or plugin for this, but I haven't been able to find one.

Comments

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,866

I just open the log file, type in something like ######################### and save the file. They later when I open the file I can search for that string

• A script can do that - e.g.

print( "About to start my render" );

saved as a .dsa file will print to the log (run in the ScriptIDE pane it will print to the status area). However, every line has a timestamp at the beginning so if you know when you were working that alone should get you close.

• barbult said:

I just open the log file, type in something like ######################### and save the file. They later when I open the file I can search for that string

No that's too simple and direct. I need COMPLEXITY, and a labyrinthine UI !!!! cool

mikethe3dguy said:

barbult said:

No that's too simple and direct. I need COMPLEXITY, and a labyrinthine UI !!!! cool

Well, maybe I can still be of help.laugh

1. Purchase the DS Public Beta in the Daz3D store.
    2. Download and Install Daz Install Manager (DIM).
    3. Configure the DIM locations to download and install to.
    4. With DIM, Download and install DS 4.20.0.3 Public Beta (Because DS 4.20.0.2 release version has a bug that won't save layout changes).
    5. Run Daz Studio 4.20.0.3 Public Beta.
    6. In Daz Studio, configure the Content Directory Manager to use your Content Library location.
    7. Daz Studio, add the Script IDE to your layout (Window/Panes (Tabs)/Script IDE).
    8. Open the Script IDE pane.
    9. Type in the script Richard posted above.
    10. Save it to a .dsa file some place in your Content Library and remember where you saved it.
    11. In the Content Library, navigate to the script file you just saved.
    12. Right click on the script file thumbnail and select Create Custom Action...
    13. Select a menu to save the Custom Action in (like Scripts or one of its submenus)
    14. In the DS menus, select Window/Workspace/Customize... (shortcut F3)
    15. In the left side of the Customize Daz Studio window, in the Actions column, select Custom.
    16. Scroll down to find the Custom Action that you created.
    17. In the right side of the Customize Daz Studio window, in the Tool Bars tab, select a Tool Bar to add your custom action to.
    18. Click on the arrowhead by the toolbar to expand it to see the tools on that toolbar.
    19. Drag you custom action from the left side to the right side, into your selected toolbar.
    20. Accept the change (Accept button)
    21. Open and image editor like Photoshop or the Gimp.
    22. Create a thumbnail image for your new script so you can identify it in the toolbar.
    23. Save the thumbnail image as a PNG file with a name exactly matching the script name, in the same folder as the script, but with a .png file suffix instead of .dsa
    24. Exit the image editor and return to Daz Studio.
    25. Your new script should appear in your toolbar with your created thumbnail.
    26. Save your workspace (Window/Workspace/Save Layout As...).
    27. Now when you want to mark your log file, you can just click on the new toolbar thumbnail.

Oh, maybe you want a second marker to mark the end of your activity instead of the beginning. Start over at step 8 and type a different script.

I hope that is complicated enough for you. devilHopefully I didn't miss too many necessary steps.

• barbult said:

mikethe3dguy said:

barbult said:

Well, maybe I can still be of help.laugh

1. Purchase the DS Public Beta in the Daz3D store.
    2. Download and Install Daz Install Manager (DIM).
    3. Configure the DIM locations to download and install to.
    4. With DIM, Download and install DS 4.20.0.3 Public Beta (Because DS 4.20.0.2 release version has a bug that won't save layout changes).
    5. Run Daz Studio 4.20.0.3 Public Beta.
    6. In Daz Studio, configure the Content Directory Manager to use your Content Library location.
    7. Daz Studio, add the Script IDE to your layout (Window/Panes (Tabs)/Script IDE).
    8. Open the Script IDE pane.
    9. Type in the script Richard posted above.
    10. Save it to a .dsa file some place in your Content Library and remember where you saved it.
    11. In the Content Library, navigate to the script file you just saved.
    12. Right click on the script file thumbnail and select Create Custom Action...
    13. Select a menu to save the Custom Action in (like Scripts or one of its submenus)
    14. In the DS menus, select Window/Workspace/Customize... (shortcut F3)
    15. In the left side of the Customize Daz Studio window, in the Actions column, select Custom.
    16. Scroll down to find the Custom Action that you created.
    17. In the right side of the Customize Daz Studio window, in the Tool Bars tab, select a Tool Bar to add your custom action to.
    18. Click on the arrowhead by the toolbar to expand it to see the tools on that toolbar.
    19. Drag you custom action from the left side to the right side, into your selected toolbar.
    20. Accept the change (Accept button)
    21. Open and image editor like Photoshop or the Gimp.
    22. Create a thumbnail image for your new script so you can identify it in the toolbar.
    23. Save the thumbnail image as a PNG file with a name exactly matching the script name, in the same folder as the script, but with a .png file suffix instead of .dsa
    24. Exit the image editor and return to Daz Studio.
    25. Your new script should appear in your toolbar with your created thumbnail.
    26. Save your workspace (Window/Workspace/Save Layout As...).
    27. Now when you want to mark your log file, you can just click on the new toolbar thumbnail.

Oh, maybe you want a second marker to mark the end of your activity instead of the beginning. Start over at step 8 and type a different script.

I hope that is complicated enough for you. devilHopefully I didn't miss too many necessary steps.

Now you're talkin'! If necessary I'll add in some UN-necessary steps just to salve my OCD.

yes Good plan!