Faster renders when using 4 high-end computers networked with iray server

Hello everyone,

I have a bit of a question about the speeds of my computer's rendering daz3d. I had thought that when you had more than 1 computer, each machine would help the render speed. My first machine is a ryzen 9 5900x, second is a intel i7 12 core lga-2011 , as the thrid is also an i7-lga-2011. The fourth is another ryzen 9 5900x. I have a total of 128gb on the master, 64 on the 2nd, 3rd and forth. I have 2 1080TI, 2 2080TI, and 4 2070 supers all running at the same time. Connected to each other via a gig switch, using 700MG download from cable. All software and drivers are updated, running Daz4.16. Denoiser is off and using photoreal. a simple render with 2 characters interacting in a very lit-up scene still takes about 25 minutes. Added the firth computer today, and I see no difference in the speed of the render. No volumetrics, no fog,  etc. 

Am I doing something wrong, maybe with the iray setup?

I am using iray switch for the master as -m ipaddress -c

all others are using the switch of -c ipaddress

thanks! any help would be appreciated :)

Comments

• SpaciousSpacious Posts: 481

As far as I know Iray doesn't really share work like that.  I might be wrong and if I am, I'm sure someone will come by and tell us so.  I would just render on the machine with the fastest CPU, most system RAM, and GPU with the most vRAM.  If that's not the same computer, I would look into putting those parts into the same computer.

• I have no experience with usign Iray Server, but on a single machine multiple GPUs will share the load 9as long as the scene fits in their memory). Network latency will obviously be an issue, but I don't know if that is delaying things here or if it is such an issue that multiple machines are used only for separate frames.