Converting Bot Genesis materials to Iray?

Bot Genesis  comes with some custom 3dl surfaces that don't work in Iray.  (Not when rendering the original materials, and not when converting to the Uber Iray Base either).

Part of the problem is that the metallic effect doesn't work (it comes out looking like matt plastic).  This can be worked around by applying metal shaders to all the surfaces, as discussed here.

However, this doesn't solve the whole problem.  Many of the surfaces have various .jpg images attached, to create various effects (reflections, makeup on the female skin, etc).  Some of these get lost if the Uber Base is applied (and all are if a metal shader is applied).  I can re-apply some of these, but others I have no idea what parameter they apply to in Uber.

Are there any shader experts who can work out where the files should go in Uber Base?  The most important disappearing files 

image file purpose 3dl parameter value Uber Base equivilent
bot_face_fem.jpg Makeup Image map (14) 255,255,255 Base/Diffuse/Reflection/Base Color
bot_face_r_m_2.jpg unknown Image Map (17) 1 unknown
crm_reflect_2.jpg reflected image Reflection colour 255,255,255 unknown

Images for reference:

1. original surfaces rendered in 3dl
  2. surface rendered in Iray
  3. Iray Polished Aluminium shader applied
  4. bot_face_fem.jpg added
  5. bot_face_fem.jpg
  6. bot_face_r_m_2.jpg
  7. crm_reflect_2.jpg

Edit: I've been told that the last three images aren't allowed to be posted, so I've removed them and will describe them instead:

1. bot_face_fem.jpg: all the facial detail (lipstick, eyeshadow, eyebrows, blusher)  
  2. bot_face_r_m_2.jpg: presumably some sort of masking effect: all black except for some white shapes that align with certain patterns on the bot_face_fem.jpg
  3. crm_reflect_2.jpg: A landscape, with two pillars on either side.  If you look carefully, you can see these reflected in the face in the first image.  (The pillars are the dark lines running up the sides of the face and curving over to almost meet at the forehead).  This must be overlaid on the surface somehow, but I can't see what parameter to do to use that.  Everywhere I''ve tried adding it it either has no effect, or appears as a part of the surface rather than a reflection in it.
Bot Genesis F 3dl.png
771 x 771 - 485K
Bot Genesis F Iray Uber.png
771 x 771 - 454K
Bot Genesis F uber polished Al.png
771 x 771 - 299K
Post edited by the_assassin on

Comments

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,388

You're not allowed to post the textures from a product so they'll probably be removed.

• use uber surface, use top coat as weighted, give it a bit of roughness, play with others parameters

you can use both metallic and top coat see whats happen

you can use the map nr. 6 as roughness filter or invert it and use it as metallic filter

white means 100%

black 0%

Roughness play a big role and also 100% metallic means that the surface will become a mirror

• Leana said:

You're not allowed to post the textures from a product so they'll probably be removed.

Ah, OK. Didn't realise.  I've removed them. 

• Ah, just discovered what to do with the reflection image: for Iray rendering, it doesn't go on the surface at all.  You need to use it as the Environment Map in the Render Settings. 

• HylasHylas Posts: 4,900
    edited March 2022

the_assassin said:

Part of the problem is that the metallic effect doesn't work (it comes out looking like matt plastic).

Set Metallicity to 1.0 and Glossy Roughness to about 0.2. Does this help?

Post edited by Hylas on
  • Hylas said:

Set Metallicity to 1.0 and Glossy Roughness to about 0.2. Does this help?

Yes, that does it.  Thanks.