How do I ERC rig a variable height elevator?

lukon100lukon100 Posts: 792

I want to make an elevator for just two floors, but have the shaft height be adjustable (by means of a morph) so that the elevator can be used between floors of different heights from one another.

I want to control the elevator car’s up and down motion by means of an ERC slider control so that I can also control the movement of the doors in one single slider.

But here’s the rub: how do I get the elevator car to move up and down by a YTranslation that adjusts according to a morph that adjusts the height of the elevator shaft?

I suspect I need a way to have my elevator car movement ERC read the value of the elevator shaft height morph, and include that value in it’s calculation of YTranslation for the elevator car.

If you want to see how such an elevator ERC rigging should work for just a fixed height application, you can download a free one that I made and tinker with it yourself. It is one of the parts of my modular UFO shaped “flying mobile home”, here:

https://www.deviantart.com/luqu/art/Mobile-Home-Flying-Botlir-StratoLark-V1-899281000

Post edited by lukon100 on

Comments

• You could link the car height by ERC Add to the shaft height, which will move its zero position up/down - but that would mean taking limits off. A way to avoid that would eb to have the proeprty hidden and add both the shaft height and the elevator height properties to that, then the move up a floor slider could be limited to its correct range.