Rigging a Handgun (I've hit a wall)

Hello all I've kind of kitbashed a gun for my characters to use in Daz Studio. I'm happy with the base mesh, and as far as I can tell the imported obj looks good. [See:"obj Gun(Front View)" and "obj Gun(Left View)"] That being said I've run into an issue with rigging the prop. My Goal is to have at minimum two moving parts on the gun prop: a trigger that rotates along the x-axis, and a slide that  translates across the z-axis. SO, I've followed WP Guru tutorial on Youtube (Riggina a Cylinder with the Figure Setup Tab in Daz Studio) for creating the initial skeleton. [See:"Gun Figure (default bone)", "Gun Figuere (Trigger bone)", "Gun Figure (Barrel bone )", "Gun Figure (Slide bone)"] 

The problem: I've assumed for translational movement the appropriate weight map would be a general weight map. So, the slide has a general weight map based on it's vertex group. Now I am able to manipulate the value of the Z translate property (which is hidden for some reason) of the slide bone; via click-dragging. [See: "Gun Figure (Slide translated)"] But, I after  I release the mouse button the vertices snap back into its default position, but the value remains. [See: "Gun Figure (Slide untranslated)" ] So is this an issue with my methodology, or a bug on Daz studios part? And would anyone suggest I rig on a different software (if possible).

Not necessarilly a problem, but help would be appreciated: The trigger bone point of origin isn't ideal for how I'd like the trigger to rotate. I am inclined to shift the point of origin via the joint editor tool. But I am uncertain if after moving the origin and perhaps rotating the bone to my ideal poisition,  if there is some process I need to implement to ensure that the new position is permament.

Thanks in advance!

Gun Figure (Barrel bone).png
1523 x 875 - 158K
Gun Figure (default bone).png
1523 x 875 - 115K
Gun Figure (Slide bone).png
1523 x 875 - 166K
Gun Figure (Slide translated).png
1920 x 1080 - 305K
Gun Figure (Slide untranslated).png
1920 x 1080 - 299K
Gun Figure (trigger bone).png
1523 x 875 - 210K
obj Gun (Front View).png
1523 x 875 - 51K
obj Gun (Left View).png
1523 x 875 - 97K

Comments

• You do have the whole figure set to use General weight mapping, not TriAx?

• Richard Haseltine said:

You do have the whole figure set to use General weight mapping, not TriAx?

No, but I've just went through Edit>Figure>Rigging>Convert TriAx Weight to General Weight.  And that seems to have done the trick. Trigger rotates as intended and slide can translate without snapping back to its original position. Thank you!

• lukon100lukon100 Posts: 792

"But I am uncertain if after moving the origin and perhaps rotating the bone to my ideal poisition,  if there is some process I need to implement to ensure that the new position is permament."

Ya. Just in case you don't know, I do believe you must do a "memorize figure rigging" after you move an origen point in the joint editor. It is done by right clicking some void area of the tab bar adjacent the joint editor to bring up a little pop up menu where you then click on "memorize", then "memorize figure rigging".

• lukon100 said:

"But I am uncertain if after moving the origin and perhaps rotating the bone to my ideal poisition,  if there is some process I need to implement to ensure that the new position is permament."

Ya. Just in case you don't know, I do believe you must do a "memorize figure rigging" after you move an origen point in the joint editor. It is done by right clicking some void area of the tab bar adjacent the joint editor to bring up a little pop up menu where you then click on "memorize", then "memorize figure rigging".

Noted! Thank you Lukon!