Problem with dForce Hula outfit

EightiesIsEnoughEightiesIsEnough Posts: 1,095

I purchased the following in the Shop today:

dForce Hula Outfit and Pose Set for Genesis 8 Female(s)

There seems to be a problem with the option for skirt length.  I double-click a Hula Skirt Length, and nothing happens - the skirt stays the same length.  Is there some way I should be able alter the length of the skirt?

Another problem I just noticed, is that the skirt doesn't appear in the render, but the belt does.

EDIT: Just realized, I accidentally posted this thread in this forum when it should be in another forum.  Please move the thread, mods.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on

Comments

• Moved to Technical Help.

• NorthOf45NorthOf45 Posts: 5,438

EightiesIsEnough said:

I purchased the following in the Shop today:

dForce Hula Outfit and Pose Set for Genesis 8 Female(s)

There seems to be a problem with the option for skirt length.  I double-click a Hula Skirt Length, and nothing happens - the skirt stays the same length.  Is there some way I should be able alter the length of the skirt?

Another problem I just noticed, is that the skirt doesn't appear in the render, but the belt does.

EDIT: Just realized, I accidentally posted this thread in this forum when it should be in another forum.  Please move the thread, mods.

Did you select the "Hula Skirt Grass" under the "Hula Belt"? Works better that way.

The grass uses strand-based dForce hair, so check your Simulation and Line Tesselation settings (Parameters - General). The defaults should be good.

• EightiesIsEnoughEightiesIsEnough Posts: 1,095
    edited February 2022

Apparently, I couldn't get the skirt length altered, no matter how much I try.  I was expecting it to be adjusted immediately after clicking the skirt length icon in the folder.

I also took your suggestion,and when rendering in iRay, the grass skirt still doesn't show in renders.

What do I need to do in order for the grass skirt to show in my render?

I also wonder if converting everything in that folder to Genesis 3 poses (assuming there were poses in the folder) may have resulted in the skirt length not working when used on Genesis 8?

Post edited by EightiesIsEnough on

The skirt length is controlled by the property "PS Reduce Length Amount". (Surfaces - Grass1/2/3 - Simulation - Structure - Hair Generation - Pre Sim (PS) - Tweaking - Length. Whew). Did the "hair" survive the transformation? There should be about 50 properties under Surfaces - Grass 1/2/3 - Simulation.

• are you using a version of DAZ studio compatible with strandbased hair?

is it a render or just iray viewport 

• The problem is with the render, and I am using iRay.  I am using DAZ Studio 4.15 at this time.

Do other strand-based dForce hair render properly?

• SpaciousSpacious Posts: 481
    edited February 2022

Do you have the geometry editor tool or Meshgrabber tool activated?

Post edited by Spacious on
  • I am wondering if there is a grass skirt I can purchase or get for free? I had trouble with the Genesis 8 version as it doesn't show in renders.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,341
    edited March 2022

This one https://www.daz3d.com/dforce-hula-outfit-and-pose-set-for-genesis-8-females ? Which version of Daz Studio are you using - the grass uses dForce hair so a really old version of Daz Studio won't support it. It will also fail to show if you have one of the set up/content creation tools active.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on

EightiesIsEnough said:

I am wondering if there is a grass skirt I can purchase or get for free? I had trouble with the Genesis 8 version as it doesn't show in renders.

You never did follow up in the thread you started about it last month... Problem with dForce Hula outfit

• I use version 4.15 at this time.  Maybe the grass skirt in the link is only compatible with 4.16 or later, perhaps.

• Merged threads

• I updated to version 4.20 a few minutes ago.  Despite best efforts, I cannot get the grass skirt to display in any render of mine.

Do I need to install a dForce driver in order to get te grass skirt to show in my render?

I'll ask again: Do other strand-based dForce hair render properly? I had it working with v4.12, so it isn't your version of Studio. Have you tried the original un-converted version to see if it works? Do you see the property "PS Reduce Length Amount" (Surfaces - Grass1/2/3 - Simulation - Structure - Hair Generation - Pre Sim (PS) - Tweaking - Length)? The shortest length sets it to 75. Under Parameters - General - Simulation, ensure Hair - Generate PR Hairs = ON, Generate PS Hairs = ON, and Viewport Line and Render Line Tessellation >= 2 (should be by default).

• Unconverted version of what?

• robertswwwrobertswww Posts: 790

@EightiesIsEnough Yes, the Material presets for length work automatically. In the attached picture, you can see I double-clicked Hula Skirt Length4.duf and it applied automaically. 

I don't think converting the G8F hula poses to G3F poses would have had any effect on the Material presets.

Maybe you had a bad install of the product files. You could try deleting and re-installing the product.

TEST_iRay-Preview.PNG
    1920 x 1160 - 803K

You said you converted "...everything in that folder to Genesis 3 poses (assuming there were poses in the folder) may have resulted in the skirt length not working when used on Genesis 8?" There is a grand total of two hand poses in the whole product, so that begs the question, what exactly was converted, if anything, and how? Try the original product as installed.

edited March 2022

Yes, I did convert both the outfit and the poses to a Genesis 3 version, and the default folder I store my DAZ assets is on an external hard drive (E drive).  When I re-installed the package just now, it supposedly installed to My DAZ 3D Library on my computer's hard drive instead of my hard drive.  Maybe the problem had ot do with where i installed the outfit,  I guess i shall find out.

Oh, is there a way I can add the My DAZ 3D Library folder on my C drive to my content library and still keep My DAZ 3D Library from my external E drive in my content library?

You can add as many Libraries as you like with Content Directory Manager (right-click on Content Library tab). Add the directories to the DAZ Studio Formats (and Poser Formats, if you like).

Whatever version you use, you will need to verify that at least the aforementioned properties are set properly. If Generate PS hairs is OFF, the preview and render will not show different lengths. If Viewport Line Tessellation is 0 or 1, the Iray Preview won't show any grass. If Render Line Tessellation is 0, the Iray Render won't show any grass.

• Where should I find Generate PS hairs, Viewport Line Tessellation, and Render Line Tessellation?  Please provide visual illustrations on where I can find them?

Select Hula Skirt Grass in Scene tab (under Hula Belt).

Parameters tab.

General heading. Scroll to the bottom of the properties list.

Hula Skirt Grass basics.jpg
    433 x 909 - 132K
  • robertswwwrobertswww Posts: 790

@EightiesIsEnough See the 3 attached screenshots for a visual guide to each specific setting in the Parameters tab... 

Parameters-Display.PNG
    1920 x 1160 - 390K
    Parameters_Line-Tessellation.PNG
    1920 x 1160 - 384K
    Parameters-Sim-Preview-PR-Hairs.PNG
    1920 x 1160 - 393K
    edited March 2022

I verified everything as per illustrations, and no result.  What could be wrong?

I do recall trying to convert this outfit into Genesis 3 version using the RSSY clothing converter.  Plus, the grass may not have shown because it was converted to 3Delight.  Could that have caused the problem?

I also tried to render using a figure that has a pwToon render.  Could that have resulted in a failed render.

Good question. I converted it to 3DL, and it still shortens/lengthens and renders properly. Do you see these properties on the Surfaces tab? (see attachment). The only one that changes with different lengths is "PS Reduce Amount".

If you don't see those properties, how did you convert? I just used CTRL-double click to apply the basic DzDefault 3DL shader and chose to ignore surfaces. All that simulation info was retained.

I don't think other shaders on different items in the same scene will affect the skirt grass. pwToon is a variation of the 3DL shader, so rendering in 3DL should work properly.

Hula Skirt Grass PreSimProperties.jpg
    428 x 902 - 175K
    edited March 2022

I used the iRay to 3Delight converter script.  I believe it was a freebie I got somewhere at one point.  Double-clicked the icon with surfaces selected, and it instantly converted to 3Delight.

I changed the length using what you suggested, and it did shorten the skirt to my desired length.  And it appears I am on the right track regarding showing the grass skirt, but only the back of the skirt show in my render, as it appears the grass looks so thin and narrow and there appears to be very few hairs.  How do I add more hairs, and how do I make the grass thicker?

There are a number of properties shown in the previous attachment (not all of them, but many). Those are all the default values. Do yours match?

There are three grass surfaces. Are they all showing? That freebie converter might not have caught everything.

Start over with an original version of the skirt alone in a scene and just apply the DzDefault 3DL shader on all surfaces. I did that and it worked great.

• The parameters and surface criteria do match yours, and I now got nothing in my render.  I rendered in iRay, by the way.

Where should I find the DzDefault 3Delight shader?

Okay, this is going nowhere. The skirt should render in Iray or 3DL with either Iray or basic 3DL materials. Maybe not the most efficient way, but the grass will render. If not, I give up, I do not know why it does not work for you.

Did you ever try another strand-based dForce hair to see if it renders? It was never asked, but I assume video drivers are up to date? (minimum 471.41 for Iray)

Time for a fresh set of eyes...

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,721

To the OP, try the original skirt on the figure it was meant for to see if it works (it should since it works for others). If so, it has something to do with the conversion to G3