Smoothing Modifier - partly lessening?

deepswingdeepswing Posts: 152

Hi folks,

I am experiencing some issues with the smoothing modifier, and I am curious if there's a tool like e.g. the dForce Modifier Weight Node which does the same for smoothing. 

This is a pair of trousers I have built where I applied smoothing to it. Especially that zipper line looks weird and gets crunched with smoothing on. I would like to deactivate smoothing for that particular area - is that possible somehow?

This is how it looks with the smoothing modifier deactivated, and which is the look I am after (in that zipper area only).

Thanks!

With Smoothing.png
1024 x 576 - 546K
Without Smoothing.png
1024 x 576 - 546K
Post edited by deepswing on

Comments

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,721

I don't know how to fix your issue, but why do you need smoothing anyway? I find it only useful for fixing pokethru. Other than that i turn it off.

• Unfortunately smoothing is all or nothing - I suspect it's the nature of the algorithm.

• FSMCDesigns said:

I don't know how to fix your issue, but why do you need smoothing anyway? I find it only useful for fixing pokethru. Other than that i turn it off.

The garment creates some crazy peaks where the triangles fold out, until now the only way how I could fix it was through smoothing applied. Maybe I need to tweak the dForce settings to get rid of that instead of relying on smoothing too much