adding Renderman API to Daz studio

IvyIvy Posts: 7,154
edited December 1969 in Product Suggestions

I seen at sig-graph that Pixar has made OpenSubdiv for renderman that can be used by rendering with GPU
Read link: graphics.pixar.com

OpenSubdiv is a free open-source API : any software vendor can implement the code in their application, including Maya, 3DS Max, Mudbox, Mari, Blender & Poser. The implementation is based on a joint research effort between Pixar and Microsoft Research and is now available.

I think it would be awesome if Daz took advantage of this new OpenSubdiv release from Pixar. for creating Renderman render engines plugin. it would offer true GPU rendering in real time, and able us using daz for animation to step up to faster & better quality animation rendering.

you can see a Pixar Animation Studios Open Subdivision Technology Review
here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-3L9BOTEtw

Can it be done Daz guys or Is it something you all would even be interested in?

Comments

• animajik_6696dda723animajik_6696dda723 Posts: 109
    edited December 1969

I seen at sig-graph that Pixar has made OpenSubdiv for renderman that can be used by rendering with GPU

OpenSubdiv is a free open-source API : any software vendor can implement the code in their application, including Maya, 3DS Max, Mudbox, Mari, Blender & Poser. The implementation is based on a joint research effort between Pixar and Microsoft Research and is now available.

I think it would be awesome if Daz took advantage of this new OpenSubdiv release from Pixar. for creating Renderman render engines plugin. it would offer true GPU rendering in real time, and able us using daz for animation to step up to faster & better quality animation rendering.

Wow! This would be incredible if it could be implemented. Imagine the workflow improvement this would give us.
    I would pay for this capability!

Thanks for showing us this Ivy Summers. I think you should open up a support ticket and give DAZ this url if they haven't already seen it.

-AniMajik
    FatCatAlley.com
    TheSpaceLeague.com (iOS friendly)

• Kendall SearsKendall Sears Posts: 2,995
    edited December 1969

DazStudio uses 3Delight which is fully Renderman Compliant. It probably won't be long before 3Delight implements OpenSubdiv. They tend to be pretty fast on tech.

Kendall

• Takeo.KenseiTakeo.Kensei Posts: 1,303
    edited December 1969

Just a little correction. It's not GPU rendering but rather real time preview of subdivided meshes that could be accelerated. End effect could be a faster Viewport preview. Got to ask DAZ for this feature

• TugpsxTugpsx Posts: 732
    edited December 1969

+1