Mysteries of Rigging: Why does a button have hips and a neck?

So, suppose there's a name tag in one outfit, and you want to use it - in a different location - with another outfit.  Fairly basic kitbashing, except, in Studio, it's rigged to follow a figure, so it starts out at this jaunty angle and this specific location, and the gizo to move it is on the floor somewhere 3 meters of worldspace away.  

I found this other thread where someone mentioned that you have to move the beginning and ending red and green dot in the joint editor and memorize the rigging, so I'm messing with that, and the tag is still like diagonal and three meters away from the rest of the rigging skeleton, and so I'm trying to figure out how to get the darned tag kind of zeroed and get a gizmo centered on it, and it occurs to me that I have no actual idea why all these clothing items have hips and shoulders and such - like, if you're rigging pants, I guess it makes sense to start with the rigging skeleton for the figure the pants will go on but, a name tag?  

Why does the name tag have hips?  Is there an RTFM page somewhere someone can point me at?  And can it also teach me how to get the tag squared up in X, Y, and Z, and get the gizmo and coordinates seroed out on it as well, so it's somewhere like at least no more than 10 ot 20 times harder to get the darned thing located correctly as it would be in any other program?

Comments

• The rigging on clothing pieces has to go back to the hip, this enables the clothing to "follow" the shape the figure is dialed to.

• Thanks - I had thought it would be something like that.  Horriffic, if you want an item to be somewhere else on the clothing, or course. :(  Probably faster to just export it, import it again, re-texture it, and place it for render. 

Thanks again :)