Would more memory benefit me

gsil247gsil247 Posts: 221

Hi all. These are my specs right now:

RTX 3090

Ryzen 7 5800X

64BG RAM

With some of the newer products, I'm noticing I get lag on certain products even when I'm not in iray preview. And no I'm not loading in 20+ character models. Just one character and 1 outfit. Granted, not all the newer products do this, just certain ones. So would getting new RAM help me as I only have 64GB or do I need another RTX card?

Any help would be appreciated it. 

Post edited by gsil247 on

Comments

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,721

if you are getting any kind of lag with that system and one character, you have a problem somewhere other than hardware specs. You have double the resources that most others have, so you should be good outside of rendering.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,866
    Make sure your smoothing modifier iteration count is not set too high, and by all means, make sure Interactive Update is Off. You have to check all clothing and hair, etc. In the scene. Some products ship with bad settings, although I haven't seen that as much lately, but I'm not buying much new stuff lately either.
  • Viewport goes on CPU

Iray Rendering on GPUyou have a great build (ah, that 3090 crying)

Basically the main load on CPU(viewport) are the number of polygons, 1 subd will multiply by 4, easy to reach millions of polygons :)

but with your build i think you can handle it easy.

when you face that problem, try to check which element in the scene will cause that, dforce hair sometimes can give that issue

hide one by one and rotate the camera a bit to test

hide the guilty one while working on the scene and display in render (via parameter tab)

hit render and unleash the beast :)

• gsil247gsil247 Posts: 221

DireWorks said:

Viewport goes on CPU

Iray Rendering on GPUyou have a great build (ah, that 3090 crying)

Basically the main load on CPU(viewport) are the number of polygons, 1 subd will multiply by 4, easy to reach millions of polygons :)

but with your build i think you can handle it easy.

when you face that problem, try to check which element in the scene will cause that, dforce hair sometimes can give that issue

hide one by one and rotate the camera a bit to test

hide the guilty one while working on the scene and display in render (via parameter tab)

hit render and unleash the beast :)

You were right. I took away one piece by one and it solved the issue. In case you are wondering, its the Sigard Outfit and Freja 8.1 along with Xelen hair. The outfit it was what causing me to get some lag. Thanks for this