Making Duf Files

So, I was wondering how one goes about making duf files?

Explain it to me like I'm five years old - programing isn't my strong suit, but I can follow instructions, usually.

Thank you in advance.

Comments

• Save the scene or a preset - File>Save, File>Save As submenu. Is there a particualr kind of file you need?

• Richard Haseltine said:

Save the scene or a preset - File>Save, File>Save As submenu. Is there a particualr kind of file you need?

Thanks, Richard.

I have been trying to create pipe tobacco - tried using some hair from a couple of different characters and changing the texture, which worked okay, sort of, but not as well as I would have liked. I want to have tobacco in a jar that's not just one shape made out of a cylinder, but that a character can reach into the tobacco jar and fill their pipe up. I'd also like to show it in the pipe lit, which seems like an entirely different thing which could be done with only a cylinder or a plane, if I knew how to put the images on the cylinder or plane. Some seem to need very specific placement, while others, not so much.

Haven't really learned to use Hexagon yet, which seems like it might help with the shapes - that's a ways off for me, though.

• The .duf files are just settings and links - textures remain as textures, pointed to by the settings, while any custom geometry is either embedded in a scene file or saved as an asset (File>Save As>Support Assets). If you are morphing the hair to make your tobacco then it should work to save as a scene subset (which will link to the ahri adn embed the morphs).

• marcelle19marcelle19 Posts: 171

Richard Haseltine said:

The .duf files are just settings and links - textures remain as textures, pointed to by the settings, while any custom geometry is either embedded in a scene file or saved as an asset (File>Save As>Support Assets). If you are morphing the hair to make your tobacco then it should work to save as a scene subset (which will link to the ahri adn embed the morphs).

Thanks, Richard Haseltine . I don't know about about the geometry, but it sounds like you said it happens automatically.

I noticed, looking at some of my Daz assets, that they have both a PNG and a TEXT file, where the TEXT file is a Duff. Is that necessary to use the newly created asset in Daz?

I've made a few things with just the pics, some that worked, others which didn't. I haven't been able to make bump and displacement maps which seem to do anything.

Thanks very much .

• The ,duf file is the actual data for Daz Studio, the PNG is just the thumbnail image that appears in the content panes (some will also have a larger .tip.png file which will appear, by default, in a tooltip when you hover the mouse over a file in a content pane)..

• marcelle19marcelle19 Posts: 171

So basically a duf file is coding. But you said it is generated automatically, right? That would be best, because me and coding definitely don't see eye to eye.