Preview of HDRI's

I wonder if there's some way to preview a hdri image?

I've been experimenting a bit with some hdris I found on the net, discovering that it's generally a hit or miss if a hdri works with the rest of the picture, or if you end up with the characters up in the air, plastered against a wall or out in the water. So I almost always have to adjust the dome by rotating it through the X,Y and Z axis, and when there's no preview ability (that I've found at least) I'm flying blind and it takes ages for me to put the characters in an even workable context, then even longer to fine tune them. 

Comments

• richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,510
    edited February 2022
    There are a few programs that will open HDRI files. Gimp is one. I save a reduced size JPEG of the HDRI, with the same name, but different extension, in the HDRI directory, so when I load the HDRI, the jpeg acts as a preview. You would expect DS to add in a preview for the file open dialog box. AHH. Answer to a different question. Can't answer that bit, sorry.
    Post edited by richardandtracy on
  • The Iray Drawstyle should show the HDRI, if Draw Dome is on.

• GreybroGreybro Posts: 2,493
    edited February 2022

"or if you end up with the characters up in the air, plastered against a wall or out in the water. "

This is precisely why I include cameras and presets that handle the placement and Dome type in all my HDRi products. You see something that makes sense in the render.

Post edited by Greybro on
  • PlatnumkPlatnumk Posts: 664

Hera said:

I wonder if there's some way to preview a hdri image?

I've been experimenting a bit with some hdris I found on the net, discovering that it's generally a hit or miss if a hdri works with the rest of the picture, or if you end up with the characters up in the air, plastered against a wall or out in the water. So I almost always have to adjust the dome by rotating it through the X,Y and Z axis, and when there's no preview ability (that I've found at least) I'm flying blind and it takes ages for me to put the characters in an even workable context, then even longer to fine tune them. 

I find this to be very useful https://www.daz3d.com/ibl-master-for-daz-studio