Iray Shaders for DAZ3D Store products

(Apologies if wrong forum, please advise)

Hi Product Artists –

Q: What's the best way for me to create and provide my (future) commercial DAZ product with 'readymade' Iray textured surfaces?

I'm fairly experienced with DAZ3D and more so with 3D modelling in C4D.

I want to complete some architectural/interiors/products etc for sale (not figures/clothes) - hopefully good enough for sale in the DAZ Store – but am trying to understand what the choices are for IRAY Shaders for commercial models from legal & fair use perspective. I'm a bit confused!

I've searched for "Merchant Iray Shaders" but am not seeing a great choice of readymade textures. For instance searching "merchant iray brick" just throws up a small choice of 3 Iray shader packs, none of which are quite what I'm after – and a lot less than I imagined there would be. 

There are other good sets which have what I need (eg. https://forum.daz3d.com/dd-pbr-brick-shaders-for-iray) but that are not obviously 'merchant'useable – and I have purchased quite a few of the older PBR sets (iSource Merchant textures (https://hpcl.daz3d.com/brick-collection-merchant-resource-vol1-pbr-textures)  which look great (medium rez) but are separate image files which need 'assembling' into IRay shaders)

So what am I missing? Am I limited to just 'merchant'? Can I just add the interactive licence and then use most shader sets? Do I need to make more effort and assemble shader sets to use from iSource (which IS merchant) etc? Do I need to get off my lazy ass and create my own library? I'm happy to make the effort, if that's what it takes – but I don't want to spend time reinventing common textures if there's a better way! What do you, the wizards of DAZ Architectural models do? 

Thanks laugh

Comments

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,388

You can't use regular shaders packs as part of your products, even with the interactive license. 

Using merchant resource shaders and making your own materials from textures sold as merchant resources or from your own textures are valid options.

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,722

foofightrz said: Do I need to get off my lazy ass and create my own library? I'm happy to make the effort, if that's what it takes – but I don't want to spend time reinventing common textures if there's a better way! What do you, the wizards of DAZ Architectural models do? 

Thanks laugh

This, along with substance painter or a similar app is probably what most PAs workflow is like. I am not aware of any common textures resource in the store or elswhere. In my experience merchant resources in the store are mainly for new wannabe PAs to help them get started and once a PA they start developing their own library of resources, especially with character creators.

• Leana said:

You can't use regular shaders packs as part of your products, even with the interactive license. 

Using merchant resource shaders and making your own materials from textures sold as merchant resources or from your own textures are valid options.

I guess we can't always get what we want, but we get what we need – thanks for the clear advice! 

• FSMCDesigns said:

foofightrz said: Do I need to get off my lazy ass and create my own library? I'm happy to make the effort, if that's what it takes – but I don't want to spend time reinventing common textures if there's a better way! What do you, the wizards of DAZ Architectural models do? 

Thanks laugh

This, along with substance painter or a similar app is probably what most PAs workflow is like. I am not aware of any common textures resource in the store or elswhere. In my experience merchant resources in the store are mainly for new wannabe PAs to help them get started and once a PA they start developing their own library of resources, especially with character creators.

Well I'm definitely just a wannabe at present so the cap fits. I've taken plenty of straight shots of interesting surfaces (stone, mosaics, gravel etc) every so often over the years: I'd better get sorting through my photo folders. Thanks for the Substance Painter tip - I'll explore the options.