AMD or Nvidia GPU? - performance experience w DAZ

Hello, my current computer is beginning to turn into a potato.  I initially was only going to update SSD space to handle DAZ's massive library (which currently I am unbelievably limited as to what I can download and load) That has morphed into updating my entire computer

I have decided to go with AMD for my CPU/Board--so it makes some sense and $$ wise to also go with an AMD GPU.  I noticed DAZ is updating as well soon.  (Or....maybe I should just wait until after DAZ is updated--currently using Nvidia GTX 1070 TI-with Intel CPU)

So, before I plunk massive $$ money on a new GPU I wanted to check here at what other user's experiences/success/failure etc have been using an AMD GPU with DAZ studio

Comments

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,013
    edited February 2022

An AMD GPU will not be used to render in Nvidia Iray, if you want to render in Iray, the rendering is done on CPU, taking 10-20+ times longer than with a supported Nvidia GPU

Post edited by PerttiA on
  • GordigGordig Posts: 9,885

PerttiA said:

An AMD GPU will not be used to render in Nvidia Iray, if you want to render in Iray, the rendering is done on CPU, taking 10-20+ times longer than with a supported Nvidia GPU

And 3Delight is CPU-only, so no benefit to either one there, outside of dForce simulations. 

• Rasberri said:

Hello, my current computer is beginning to turn into a potato.  I initially was only going to update SSD space to handle DAZ's massive library (which currently I am unbelievably limited as to what I can download and load) That has morphed into updating my entire computer

I have decided to go with AMD for my CPU/Board--so it makes some sense and $$ wise to also go with an AMD GPU.  I noticed DAZ is updating as well soon.  (Or....maybe I should just wait until after DAZ is updated--currently using Nvidia GTX 1070 TI-with Intel CPU)

So, before I plunk massive $$ money on a new GPU I wanted to check here at what other user's experiences/success/failure etc have been using an AMD GPU with DAZ studio

I have an AMD 5800x CPU and x570 Motherboard and an NVidia 3070ti GPU.  It works beautifully.  I usually build my own machines, but this time I bought a ready-made system from iBuyPower, as the "stand-alone" GPU prices were skyhigh and generally they were generally unavailable back in December.  I was so happy with iBuyPower that I just bought a system (5600x/3060 12G) for my grandson.

• RasberriRasberri Posts: 298
    edited February 2022

Thanks for the replies, y'all... So @nakamuram002 it sounds like having the CPU/board AMD (which I have already purchased) does fine--I purchased ryzen9 5900 and an x570 board----good to know.. and as others have said I can use 3Delight.  Though, I was still wondering if the anyone owns one of the newer AMD graphics cards and how well DAZ does with those.  I realize some of the technology is not there.. i.e Deep Learning Super Sampling (DLSS) and as far as I know Iray is exclusive to Nvidia.. I was reading that some folks are having issues with Dforce when I was scanning forums to see if I could find anyone using an AMD radeon.. It would be interesting to know how DAZ renders using one of AMD's newer GPU-- RX 5700/6700 XT series.  Seems like I read somewhere on here that Iray was going away? .. Guess I need to do some more digging.  I just have other reasons for wanting to give an AMD card a chance.. but maybe they just arent there yet.

Sigh.. Maybe Ill get lucky in the Newegg shuffle frown for Nvidia... in that case it won't be a question as $ talks

Post edited by Rasberri on
  • PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,013

Rasberri said:

It would be interesting to know how DAZ renders using one of AMD's newer GPU-- RX 5700/6700 XT series.  Seems like I read somewhere on here that Iray was going away? .. Guess I need to do some more digging.  I just have other reasons for wanting to give an AMD card a chance.. but maybe they just arent there yet.

The AMD GPU does nothing in DS but show you the picture on your monitors, you can do that with any generic display card that you can get for peanuts. 

• RasberriRasberri Posts: 298
    edited February 2022

nakamuram002 said:

I have an AMD 5800x CPU and x570 Motherboard and an NVidia 3070ti GPU.  It works beautifully.  I usually build my own machines, but this time I bought a ready-made system from iBuyPower, as the "stand-alone" GPU prices were skyhigh and generally they were generally unavailable back in December.  I was so happy with iBuyPower that I just bought a system (5600x/3060 12G) for my grandson.

I watched some youtubes regarding that.. some folks opt to buy pre built machine due to the unavailablity of the GPUs.. I think an RTX 3060 is as far as I could stretch at the moment.  But you can find AMD... I guess the AMD is no go with Iray as @PerttiA said.. And 3Delight quality vs Iray.. big difference..... Sigh... frown  I have been looking for the past week 3070s and 3060s and availability is INSANE out there right now.....and the The 3070s are right around 1K - 1500K   crying  I even read how Nvida has released some GPUs with a lock on crypto mining.. in an effort to boost availability for other users

We are officially in the GPU Apocolypsesad

Post edited by Rasberri on