Cannot perform dForce simulation: Error initializing OpenCL kernels (Windows + AMD)

Hello,

I have Windows 10 and AMD Radeon 5700 XT GPU. When I try to do dForce simulation Daz Studio first says that dForce kernels need to be compiled. Then it compiles them for a while, and this always results in the error: Error initializing OpenCL kernels.

Version details:

- GPU Drivers: 22.1.2 (newest one)

- Daz Studio 4.16 Pro (newest one, although Daz Central insists that Studio version is 4.15...)

- Selected OpenCL Device in Daz Studio advanced settings is the only one available, AMD Accelerated Paraller Processing gfx1010:xnack-

- Tried with multiple scenes, e.g., with the included simple sheet drop demo scene

Any insights? Is it practically impossible to use AMD GPU with Daz Studio, or should this work? Both render engines work fine, although lray is slow (CPU only).

Post edited by therry_e35e822bb8 on

Comments

• SpaciousSpacious Posts: 481
    edited February 2022

DForce kernels always need to be compiled the first time you run a sim after updating drivers, so that part is normal, sort of.  Sounds like maybe your driver got corrupted somehow.  You may want to redownload and update your GPU driver.  Windows often messes with GPU drivers as part of a windows update, and occasionally even without a windows update. If that's not the problem it likely won't hurt anyway.

Otherwise, sometimes dForce will just fail, and give that same warning "Error initializing OpenCL kernels" if there is a lot of geometry in your scene.  It's trying to load everything to use as dForce collision objects.  Fix this by hiding everything in your scene that the dForce object is not going to colide with.

Post edited by Spacious on
  • Well, after I first got the error I updated the GPU drivers manually to the latest ones, but that did not help. Also, there is not much geometry in the included dForce demo scene, so no help from that either. Thank you anyway for the ideas.

Maybe I try total GPU driver removal and re-install.. although now that I have googled it seems that I am far from being alone with this problem. I wonder if anybody is using dForce succesfully with, for example, Radeon 5700 XT?

• Oh, some more Googling (don't know how I did not find this yesterday) and found this: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/504356/dforce-error-initializing-opencl-kernels

No help though.. (or maybe the last link will contain something useful, must check when getting back home)

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,013

Do you have Intel or AMD CPU?

Intel CPU's do have OpenCL driver, but you have to download and install it by yourself.

• Intel, but quite old one.. have to examine that route also.

• Turns out that I have this problem: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/511551/can-t-compile-dforce-kernels-get-linking-error

So there are things like the following in Daz Studio logs:

lld: error: undefined hidden symbol: find_coplanarity_times
    >>> referenced by C:\Users\xxxx\AppData\Local\Temp\comgr-3e3242\input\linked.bc.o:(calcVertTriCollisionCollidePoint)
    >>> referenced by C:\Users\xxxx\AppData\Local\Temp\comgr-3e3242\input\linked.bc.o:(calcVertTriCollisionCollidePoint)
    Error: Creating the executable from LLVM IRs failed.

Maybe I still try to install Intel CPU only OpenCL implementation, but I suppose the problem is with Daz Studio, not AMD drivers as I begun to think.

• It seems that "Intel CPU Runtime for OpenCL Applications for Windows" works, although very slowly.

• haplo2013haplo2013 Posts: 11
    edited February 2023

I still have no luck with dforce on my AMD computer :(

Post edited by haplo2013 on