Easy Tattoos Tool?

Hi everyone! :D

LIE editor is amazing to put tattoos on your characters.

Although, skin surfaces have weird shapes, and I often find it difficult to put tattoos on some parts of the body, such as shoulders, upper arms, torso sides etc.

Is there any easy-to-use plug-n-play tool to position tattoos on G8 figures?

Thank you in advance :)

Comments

• felisfelis Posts: 4,196

As long as you're not crossing seams, you could put a UV texture in base map channel, and use that as guidance for where to put the tattoo.

• SpaciousSpacious Posts: 481
    edited January 2022

You could use an IRAY DECAL with an opacity mask in the opacity cutout channel of the decal.  Won't work well if you want to move the character around after placing the tattoo, but it's super easy.

Otherwise you'll need an external 3D modeling program with texture painting abilities.  I hear rumor the newer versions of Photoshop allow you to paint across seems on 3D models, but I don't have Photoshop.

Post edited by Spacious on
  • LenioTGLenioTG Posts: 2,118
    edited January 2022

felis said:

As long as you're not crossing seams, you could put a UV texture in base map channel, and use that as guidance for where to put the tattoo.

Thanks, I guess most tattoos would cross the seams.

Spacious said:

You could use an IRAY DECAL with an opacity mask in the opacity cutout channel of the decal.  Won't work well if you want to move the character around after placing the tattoo, but it's super easy.

Otherwise you'll need an external 3D modeling program with texture painting abilities.  I hear rumor the newer versions of Photoshop allow you to paint across seems on #D models, but I don't have Phoroshop.

I've tried decals, but even with "geometry locks", they still move around quite a bit. Also, it's hard to fit them on arms etc. (they get spread across the chest etc.).

I have the latest Photoshop, but I wouldn't know where to start.

Post edited by LenioTG on
  • SpaciousSpacious Posts: 481

Apparently there is some kind of bridge Available in the DAZ staore that allows you to import 3D models into Photoshop and paint directly on them, even across UDIM tile seams.  I use Blender for this kind of thing, and while once you've got everything set up, it's easy; getting it all set up is pretty complicated.  The benefit to Blender is that it's free.

Hopefully someone who has photoshop will come along and help, or maybe search for DAZ Photoshop bridge?