April 2015 New User Contest - Free Render Month (WIP Thread)

Comments

• h_habashh_habash Posts: 230
    edited December 1969

h_habash said:
    Thanks to all for their input and helpful tips, I've managed finally to complete my 3rd version of my scene "Barn with Horses|, and here it is.

I've added additional lights, played with render setting and finally it happened to take only around 20 minutes to complete the render :)

I've also tried to add shades to it but tried many ways and failed.

Do you mean shaders? What exactly do you want to do?

sorry for my language, I meant shadows, but after reviewing the scene, I found there is some corrections required to it, and I found that the shadows are there, I've completed the corrections and now I'm rendering the scene, I hope it'll look better.

• Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252
    edited December 1969

Latest version.

Not sure about the Eagles. I really wanted something flying in the sky. It just looked so empty otherwise. I tried a dragon but it was just too big. Could have scaled it smaller of course.

April,_2015_New_Users_Contest_35.jpg
    1131 x 904 - 1M
  • DollyGirlDollyGirl Posts: 2,650
    edited December 1969

Latest version.

Not sure about the Eagles. I really wanted something flying in the sky. It just looked so empty otherwise. I tried a dragon but it was just too big. Could have scaled it smaller of course.

With the birds flying around it looks like they were disturbed. Makes the eyes check the image to see why. Seems to be a good idea.

• Shinji Ikari 9thShinji Ikari 9th Posts: 1,166
    edited December 1969

3ch0_419 said:
    Rendering the latest version as I type this up. However, I don't think I'll be posting until I'm back home from work.

Here's the latest version, I tried to fix the shooter's stance so he wasn't on the insides of his feet. I also tried to make the alien be coming more out of the wall at the shooter.

april2015i.jpg
    1194 x 895 - 820K
  • kaotkblisskaotkbliss Posts: 2,914
    edited December 1969

Updated :)
    Now that I have maybe 1/100th of a better understanding of DOF maybe I'll try again on the chase scene.

Contract.png
    800 x 667 - 738K
    edited December 1969

3ch0_419 said:

Here's the latest version, I tried to fix the shooter's stance so he wasn't on the insides of his feet. I also tried to make the alien be coming more out of the wall at the shooter.

I like the angle of the monster better, but I think it might be a bit too close to the gunfire. It's head is completely covered by the muzzle flash :(

• thenotoriousjedthenotoriousjed Posts: 397
    edited December 1969

Made a few changes. Log bark is different and I was able to darken the Sasquatch just enough that along with the new angle for the lighting I really like the results. Have one more idea to add to the scene, I just have to figure out what I want and how to do it. Otherwise I feel good about the current result. Any other suggestions or seeing something I missed. Thanks everyone for the help on this, makes it more fun and a better finished product.

squatch111.jpg
    1250 x 703 - 853K
    edited December 1969

I've adjusted the scene a bit, and made some correction to the Two horses, I've found that the horses was flying :).....

And for the shadows, managed to correct the lights positions to make the shadows acceptable.

Barn_Horses_V3.1_.jpg
    1280 x 584 - 525K
    edited April 2015

Those look much better, both of you :)
    The only thing I would recommend for h_habash is if you can find some grass props (maybe on sharecg.com or something) that would give the ground a little bit of texture to it.

*edit*
    maybe something like this
    http://www.sharecg.com/v/61467/browse/5/3D-Model/Grass-models
    You would have to go to File -> import and import the .obj file, then go into the surfaces and add color perhaps.

There might be a better one, but that was the first one I found.

Post edited by kaotkbliss on
    edited December 1969

Wow, Thousand thanks kaotkbliss :-) appreciate your suggestion, I've added some grass to the scene and really it brought life to it...

Barn_Horses_V3.3_.jpg
    1280 x 584 - 629K
  • edited December 1969

I would suggest that everyone, who like me, has been frustrated with either having over-contrasted images with pure white and pure dark spots instead of colors in the darks and lights, or the opposite, everything looking greyed out, and being unable to find the happy medium, try this solution:

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/54913/#798288

Gamma correction.. who knew?

It looks complicated, but I skipped the shader version and simply did the skin materials correction, and holy cannoli what an improvement! MOREVER, the render actually looks like what I see in my viewport instead of some guess as to what I am going to see when I render. All in all, I will be doing this from now on.

thenotoriousjedi- I think your scene, moreso than most, would benefit from this! Even if you stepped back a render to the overly contrasty version, I think you might be happy with the results. I was skeptical so I saved my scene and made a new version with these changes, and yeah. Seriously blew my mind. I would show before and afters but it is for a super secret project and my current project here has very little human skin. ;-) I could show you, but then I would have to find a place to hide the body... :-P

• I couldn't wait until next month's challenge to use the gift Elli gave out from last month's challenge.
    So here we have the driver of the chasing vehicle from my other render in another encounter.

"Contract"

*edit*
    I want to perhaps darken it up a little maybe, and probably DOF. I think I need to run it through longer in Iray as well.

When I first saw this, all I could think was "wow". I will try to think of something more critical to add.. but this is seriously good, especially for the first render pre-critique~ I love the interaction between the two figures, the story is good, the paper looks like it is really falling, the lighting is better than average, the DOF rocks, so yeah. Good job!

Post edited by Whitehart Creative Arts 3-D (fionathegood) on
  • edited December 1969

h_habash said:
    Wow, Thousand thanks kaotkbliss :-) appreciate your suggestion, I've added some grass to the scene and really it brought life to it...

Wow, the addition of grass is nice, but the color of the grass in the previous version was a thousand times more realistic. That green is just toooooo much.

It just so happens I was searching for free grass recently, and have ton of links in my browser history... I didn't try all of them but I tried many!

Various Free Grass links:
    http://www.sharecg.com/v/77990/browse/11/Poser/Grassy-Patch

http://www.sharecg.com/v/78023/browse/11/Poser/40ftX40ft-Tall-Grass-Patch

http://www.sharecg.com/v/50176/browse/11/Poser/Grass-prop-hair

http://www.sharecg.com/v/50175/browse/11/Poser/Grass-prop-displacement

http://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/free-grass-3d-model/703699

http://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/free-grass-3d-model/662021

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/freestuff/?item_id=67913

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/freestuff/?item_id=56711

http://www.sharecg.com/v/37141/browse/11/Poser/Grass#cmntL1
    (this comes with a comment about the install pathway.... which wouldn't matter for me since I manually install everything... recommend installing everything folder by folder if you try it! In fact, its always best IMHO to install freebies manually, keeps from stuff getting lost due to just this sort of incorrect file folder system.
    The comment: 'Thanks for the grass. But there is a little problem with it. The path to the texture file Grass.jpg isn't set properly in the prop file Serpents_Grass.pp2.

There you can change "F:\Documents and Settings\Spooky\Desktop\Grass.jpg" in line 75081 to
    :Runtime:textures:serpents:serpents_grass:grass.jpg."

Fuzzy Wuzzy Fur Shader
    http://www.sharecg.com/v/36638/View/6/Texture/Fuzzy-Wuzzy-Fur-Shader-Daz|Studio?interstitial_displayed=Yes

Fuzzy Wuzzy furshader is something everyone should have! Make a green rectangle primitive in the color of your grass, and apply the "turn anything fuzzy" option; change the displacement positive setting to the height of the grass! May need to play with the displacement strength too. Check out the specular and bump maps that come with the colored bears, and use the green ones in the spec and other slots? I would make the specular a yellow-brown shade of light green(This should be fun). FWIW, all this shader does is give you a noise map to add to your displacement slot. You can just as easily make a noise map in the 2-d program of your choice... Make a 50% grey rectangle 4000x4000 or smaller, and use the filter "add noise-monochromatic". Pretty simple..

Free Plants and Trees from XFrog
    http://xfrog.com/category/samples.html
    This is a link to all the free plants and trees at x-frog- very useful, where I found my dandelions...

• edited December 1969

I have a question- I never entered my second pose WIP from last month. I found some things that are offsetting my previous frustration with the image and want to continue working on it....is it okay to enter it this month? Or does the image have to be something started new for this months challenge?

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

I will have a word with Ann on that and get back to you.

edited December 1969

Wow. We aren't even half way through the month and everyone's images have improved a great deal.

@3ch0_419 - I can really see the action in your image now. When I saw the tentacles from your monster almost touching the soldier firing I thought "Holy #&%@" If you want to keep it that close you might want to give the soldier a bit more expression. Either a really determined "I am going to go down fighting" or "Oh man. This thing is about to get me". Right now he does not seem to be reacting emotionally to this monster at all except to fire at it. It will not be easy because only half his face is showing but eyes are quite expressive.

@kaotkbliss - A very touching scene. You have told a very strong story with only a few props and your 2 figures. Well done.

@thenotoriousjed - I know how it can be to constantly fiddle with an image. Your hard work is paying off. I love the sunglasses on the Sasquatch.

@h_habash - The addition of a single prop can sometimes make such a huge difference. I had the same problem in February with grass that was too green. The only suggestion I can make would be to Google images of grass so try and get a better idea of an ideal colour variant.

• edited December 1969

I wonder what would happen if the "turn anything fuzzy" part of the fur shader was used on the sasquatch... with a very short fur in the +/- area of the displacement map... and a low strength... could probably totally not work, but it might.... and it would be fun to see the results either way...

I think I need sleep!!

And oh- I am a free bird til tues, my test to see if I can benefit from the targetted therapy came back positive and I start the new treatment then. The side effects are supposed to be mild and we will see if it works after 2-3 mos. I am glad I get to hang out rendering and commenting more than I thought. Lets hope the side effects are as mild as they say, and I don't get certain ones!

• LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,802
    edited December 1969

I would suggest that everyone, who like me, has been frustrated with either having over-contrasted images with pure white and pure dark spots instead of colors in the darks and lights, or the opposite, everything looking greyed out, and being unable to find the happy medium, try this solution:

It looks complicated, but I skipped the shader version and simply did the skin materials correction, and holy cannoli what an improvement! MOREVER, the render actually looks like what I see in my viewport instead of some guess as to what I am going to see when I render. All in all, I will be doing this from now on.

thenotoriousjedi- I think your scene, moreso than most, would benefit from this! Even if you stepped back a render to the overly contrasty version, I think you might be happy with the results. I was skeptical so I saved my scene and made a new version with these changes, and yeah. Seriously blew my mind. I would show before and afters but it is for a super secret project and my current project here has very little human skin. ;-) I could show you, but then I would have to find a place to hide the body... :-P

Fiona, the thread you linked opend a whole new can of "I don't have a clou" soup... I guess It will take me moth to understand the first thing they are talking about there. As usual I go and throw the new things into one of my senes and see whats happening to my render, then I go back to the thread and look if I can find something that relates in the thread.. so sitting here rendering my mashine hot..

edited December 1969

Linwelly said:

Fiona, the thread you linked opend a whole new can of "I don't have a clou" soup... I guess It will take me moth to understand the first thing they are talking about there. As usual I go and throw the new things into one of my senes and see whats happening to my render, then I go back to the thread and look if I can find something that relates in the thread.. so sitting here rendering my mashine hot..

That is how we learn Linwelly ;-)

• DAZ_ann0314DAZ_ann0314 Posts: 2,819
    edited December 1969

I have a question- I never entered my second pose WIP from last month. I found some things that are offsetting my previous frustration with the image and want to continue working on it....is it okay to enter it this month? Or does the image have to be something started new for this months challenge?

Since the focus for that was posing and this month it will be on the full presentation and as it was never submitted anywhere for voting etc, that is fine if you would like to finish your pose etc and use it for your image this month :)

edited December 1969

Made a few changes. Log bark is different and I was able to darken the Sasquatch just enough that along with the new angle for the lighting I really like the results. Have one more idea to add to the scene, I just have to figure out what I want and how to do it. Otherwise I feel good about the current result. Any other suggestions or seeing something I missed. Thanks everyone for the help on this, makes it more fun and a better finished product.

I'm loving it. Most of all I dig how they have 'matching' necklaces, and 'Squach is feedin' his wild side.

edited December 1969

Wow. We aren't even half way through the month and everyone's images have improved a great deal.

@3ch0_419 - I can really see the action in your image now. When I saw the tentacles from your monster almost touching the soldier firing I thought "Holy #&%@" If you want to keep it that close you might want to give the soldier a bit more expression. Either a really determined "I am going to go down fighting" or "Oh man. This thing is about to get me". Right now he does not seem to be reacting emotionally to this monster at all except to fire at it. It will not be easy because only half his face is showing but eyes are quite expressive.

I made some changes that are rendering as I type this. Pointed the shooter's eyes at the monster and tried to give some determination to his eyes. I also pulled the monster back into the hole more so as to have it just launching itself out.

I'll more then likely be posting the result again after I'm back from work once more, however if things are ready before I have to leave then it'll be posted sooner.

edited December 1969

I made the grass addition thanks you fionathegood you're really good ;-) I've managed to download the grass sets, and tried all of them in the scene, it took me some time to come out with this scene.

I've changed the barn wood texture, I hope it's more acceptable than before as I see it.

Barn_and_Horses_3.4_.jpg
    1280 x 584 - 652K
    edited December 1969

@thenotoriousjed - I know how it can be to constantly fiddle with an image. Your hard work is paying off. I love the sunglasses on the Sasquatch.

Still fiddling but I've learned a lot already with this render and contest. Not just in making the image better but how to tell a story with it as well. My idea for an added character I hope adds to the story and the fun. Also fiddled with the gamma settings and added vascularity on for male figure. Darkened the Squatch a bit more.
    Squatch112.jpg
    1250 x 703 - 827K
  • LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,802
    edited December 1969

Still fiddling but I've learned a lot already with this render and contest. Not just in making the image better but how to tell a story with it as well. My idea for an added character I hope adds to the story and the fun. Also fiddled with the gamma settings and added vascularity on for male figure. Darkened the Squatch a bit more.

The darker skin works very well on the saquatch, though the shades are now getting lost a little. That racoon (I guess thats what its meant to be) is a funny idea but the character is a bit to "Ice age" for my liking, at least compared to the rest of your render.

As for some nitpicking: there is an unfortunate border in the tiles of your treebark right between the coffee and the sasquatch

edited December 1969

Linwelly said:

The darker skin works very well on the saquatch, though the shades are now getting lost a little. That racoon (I guess thats what its meant to be) is a funny idea but the character is a bit to "Ice age" for my liking, at least compared to the rest of your render.

As for some nitpicking: there is an unfortunate border in the tiles of your treebark right between the coffee and the sasquatchI was afraid he was a bit cartoony. He is a lemur I already had in my library, wanted to use a raccoon or squirrel but can't afford to buy the ones in the store right now. Maybe before the month is out I can. Hadn't noticed the seam but will try to fix it. Thanks

• XangthXangth Posts: 127
    edited December 1969

Here are the new renders from the first two. Thanks for the suggestions kaotkbliss. I put a weapon in the hand of the female character. On the second I decided to change it up a bit. Suggestions and comments are always welcome as I am always trying to make my art better.

chase1A1.jpg
    1200 x 800 - 196K
    evading_the_sentries3.jpg
    1200 x 800 - 123K
    edited December 1969

Linwelly said:

As for some nitpicking: there is an unfortunate border in the tiles of your treebark right between the coffee and the sasquatchI was afraid he was a bit cartoony. He is a lemur I already had in my library, wanted to use a raccoon or squirrel but can't afford to buy the ones in the store right now. Maybe before the month is out I can. Hadn't noticed the seam but will try to fix it. Thanks

Adam Thwaites has a free Raccoon here (scroll down page). It is a static prop though, no posing.

Lyne's Creations here has quite a few different poseable animals but does not have a Raccoon. She does however have a skunk which could fit right in with your scene.

edited December 1969

Xangth said:
    Here are the new renders from the first two. Thanks for the suggestions kaotkbliss. I put a weapon in the hand of the female character. On the second I decided to change it up a bit. Suggestions and comments are always welcome as I am always trying to make my art better.

Nice changes to both images...especially the 2nd one. Now I see the reason the riders are in a hurry.

• TeofaTeofa Posts: 823
    edited April 2015

Evolution. Changed a lot of items, still needs much pose fiddling and etc. As far as the comfy chair being at a secluded meeting, well, she has henchmen. At last count, 5 henchmen assigned to comfy chair moving.

"A nearly Perfect copy, General"

a_near_perfect_copy.jpg
    876 x 700 - 403K
    Post edited by Teofa on