Ground in Desert Depression only shadin in black

Hi!

For some reason the ground in the Desert Depression product is only in black (in both renders and on screen). Everything else is shaded normally (trees, rocks, etc.). I can manually put a dirt shader on it and it changes like normal, but I can see it has a map that isn't showing up for some reason. I have a feeling that some setting got changed and I was hoping that someone might know what is causing this so I don't have to hunt for the setting in the 50 different Surface Settings (nothing stood out as being messed up on first glance). Anybody know offhand what the issue is?

Hexdrake

Screenshot 2022-01-24 222355.jpg
1724 x 1153 - 340K

Comments

• Wild guess, maybe in the Render Settings, turn off  'draw ground.'

• Sigh, That wasn't it. I tried uninstall and reinstall and I'm still having the issue (but apparently noone else is) which leads me to believe it's some setting I have checked somewhere, but I have no idea what.

• Catherine3678abCatherine3678ab Posts: 8,249
    edited January 2022

Searching the store for the product, turns out I have that. So I loaded the "Alternate Version", loaded the cameras, rendered through the Main Atmosphere Camera, used the supplied render settings DD Sun-Sky 02. {didn't matter whether draw ground was on or off}.

in render settings, ground turned on, used DD Sun-Sky02.png
    1000 x 1000 - 2M
    Post edited by Catherine3678ab on
  • Thanks -- apparantly it's something with my Daz installation. Using the Public Build it shades just fine. I'm not sure what is wrong with my stable version, but I uninstalled and reinstalled and got the same results. sad

• For anybody to be able to help you further, information details would be necessary. Which beta is installed? Which edition is the "stable version" you are referring to?

Open the "stable version" - go to Help ... Log File ... select 'all' that information and delete it, save file, close. Then load the scene you're having problems with. Can set the render image smaller if it's large, render an image that shows the problem. Then go to Help ... Log File, select and copy all that information and paste it into a text file. Attach it to a post on this thread. And then hopefully somebody that knows how to read those log files can provide some assistance.

Other useful information could be "how" are you installing your "stable version" [DIM, manually, etc] and the pathways for where the program is supposed to be looking for its content. {screen image of the Content Directory Manager}.

[remember to check that the correct render engine is selected too - when the wrong shader is used for a particular render engine, it can come out white, or black]

• I am referring to the most recent versions (4.16) of both. The stable version is the Daz Studio 4.16 (64-bit) while the new release version is Daz Studio 4.16 (64-bit) BETA version. Both are installed using DIM. Both have pathways to my E:\ drive. The image renders fine in the Beta version and a couple of friends have rendered the Desert Depression with no issues in the base version, so I assume something is wrong with my base version. It can't be the file links, or I would have the same problem in Beta. I am using Iray for both. I have attached renders in both programs for comparison. At some point I might have time to go back and copy and paste the logs and perhaps track down the problem.

Vrocklar the Anarchist at Work.jpg
    2560 x 2048 - 7M
    Vrocklar render in black.jpg
    2560 x 2048 - 3M
  • PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,013

Not enough numbers on DS versions

Which Nvidia driver version?

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,866

Hexdrake21 said:

I am referring to the most recent versions (4.16) of both. The stable version is the Daz Studio 4.16 (64-bit) while the new release version is Daz Studio 4.16 (64-bit) BETA version. Both are installed using DIM. Both have pathways to my E:\ drive. The image renders fine in the Beta version and a couple of friends have rendered the Desert Depression with no issues in the base version, so I assume something is wrong with my base version. It can't be the file links, or I would have the same problem in Beta. I am using Iray for both. I have attached renders in both programs for comparison. At some point I might have time to go back and copy and paste the logs and perhaps track down the problem.

Have you added any NVIDIA Exchange paths to the Shader Mixer? If so, what version? I accidently had an old version that worked fine in the Release 4.16.0.3 but rendered black in the Bete 4.16.1.34. Your problem is the opposite. Maybe you have new files mapped that work with the beta version of Iray but not the release version. Over in the beta forum thread, user Omniflux pointed me in the right direction to delete those files.

• PerttiA -- these are my drivers & Daz edition

Nvidia driver   511.09 , Driver Type     DCH

Daz 4.16.0.3 Pro (64-bit)

barbult -- 

I had the Nvidia vMaterials 1.7.0 installed. The Daz updated and everytime I shaded something, Daz crashed. Then the Nvidia vMaterials 2.0.0 came out. I tried installing those and gave up trying to figure out how to get them to work right with the directory creation. It is highly likely that if that COULD mess the Iray up, it did. The only caveat would be that if the Iray wasn't working in the Pro version, why would it work in the Beta version? Do you think Omniflux would mind if I asked their advice on how to cleanup and maybe set things right. I did use the vMats all the time until they started messing up.

Hexdrake / Clay