Morph Loader Pro Morph dial issue

I am in DESPERATE need to save a custom character I've made.  At the very least I would like to salvage the head portion of the morph.  I've spent an obscene number of hours dial diddling to get him exactly the way I wanted him, and there is just no way I'd be able to recreate him.

Problem:  I created a custom full-body G8.1M character, but did NOT have him the A-pose when I exported him out as an obj. I imported the morph back into Daz using Morph Loader Pro to have a single dial morph for him.  Saved him as a morph asset and tested the dial, all was good.  Until I tried to pose him.   Oh lord, something went horribly HORRIBLY wrong (pic below).  I "think" the issue is that I saved the obj when he was not in the A-pose.  So I figured, no problem, I'll just go repeat the morph dial process again.  Then Murphy struck!  Apparently, at some point I'd saved over the original scene, I mean, the dial worked right?  I was good to go!  /facepalm.   So the ONLY version I have of this character is now the fubared one.  So I thought, no worries, I'll just manually adjust the pose back to the A-pose, then re-export to obj and redo the morph that way. 

But oh no, Murphy was not done griefing me.  When I tried to unbend the model's fingers I discovered that all the joints had become spaghetti.  Using the bending dial stretches the bone rather than bends the joint.  After a couple of frustrating hours using various tools, I gave up.  It's impossible to recreate the A-pose with the morph.  So I got REALLY desperate and used the geometry tool to remove the morphs from the model's hands.  The result was nightmarish!  The hands portaled to the proper location but the arm stayed where it was and the wrist stretched out about three feet to connect the two.  It was all kinds of revolting!

I am desperately seeking help to at least save the head morph.  I can rebuild the body, but I can't rebuild the head.   If any knows how I could save just the head morph, I will name puppies after you!  If anyone knows of a way I can stick it to Murphy and save the whole morph I would count that as my once-in-a-lifetime miracle.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

~ Novbre

Additional details:

I reduce the resolution to base both during the export to obj, as well as for the morph loader pro import.

Morph loader import was to a fresh G81M figure.

Everything in the scene was removed except for G8.1M when exported, including the eyelashes.

Export to obj and import from morph loader were made using the default settings and the daz preset

The pose I saved the obj out in:

This is what happens when I use a pose, his eyes roll back in his head, and his fingers go all weird. This pose was supposed to be a VERY minor change from the base pose he was in instead he looks like a promo for rendererotica:

This is the spaghetti joints, and it happens all the way up the arm, not just the finger and elbow showed below.

Comments

• When you made your morph, "reverse deformations" needed to be applied so the pose would not be picked up. And yes, it's best to work on a default pose figure.

Then after making morphs wherein the mesh is nowhere near where it was, one needs to have the rigging adjusted to the mesh, then use ERC. [then save the morph if keeping it].

Then the bones should be moving the figure more or less correctly. With extreme morphing esp., additional pJCMs may be required to keep the model looking correct. That's the down-side of mixing together existing morphs [where this work was done] into one morph which does not keep them of course.

• NovbreNovbre Posts: 83

So the issue isn't so much that I exported to OBJ in a bad pose, it's because the bones are still thinking the figure is shorter and stockier than really is, and is translating the pose accordingly?

• Right.

Bone editor brush but do NOT edit the bones with it. Just right-click on one and go for the option to adjust the rigging to the mesh.

With the full morph still dialed in, find it on the Parameters Tab, right-click to enter "edit" mode. Then right-click on the dial again and select "ERC Freeze", click accept. {I normally have the 3 bottom most options checked, some only check the top 2 of those 3}. And then save the morph of course.

• This is one of the reasons why baking down to a single morph is a bad idea. Another, related, is that there are often additional corrective morphs delivered with a shape, they kick in when the shape and another property (joint bend, expression) are both applied - for example, to make sure that the lips and eyes can close without gaps or overlaps: by baking you have lost the links to those corrective morphs.

• NovbreNovbre Posts: 83

Most of the chracters for sale in Daz are single-dial morphs (or head and body morphs) so are these vendors going back in and recreating those corrective morphs?  Or is there a way to preserve those links? 

~ Novbre

• Novbre said:

Most of the chracters for sale in Daz are single-dial morphs (or head and body morphs) so are these vendors going back in and recreating those corrective morphs?  Or is there a way to preserve those links? 

~ Novbre

Sharing a morph made by baking others is not permitted, unless they are from merchant resource sets marketed as such (and even then there are usually conditions). The single morph characters, like the individual morphs you are using, are created by modifying the shape in a modelling or sculpting application and importing it as a new morph as you are with your baked shapes, then creating any needed adjustment morphs and fixing the joint placement.