Problem transfering custom actions to another daz studio install

I am trying to copy my custom actions from the beta version to the regular version. Can someone explain how to fix this? The "folders" import fine, but he actual custom actions have 2 question marks and the random looking letters and numbers. The submenues show up fine on the menu but none of the custom actions display. I tried to attach an image but it didn't work

Comments

• another try at posting image

Screenshot 2022-01-21 174111.png
    718 x 528 - 57K
  • How are you doing this?

• I used the export option on that window to export my actions and menus. Then I used the import button on that window on the other computer to import the two files

• Attached is the full window and I highlighted the buttons I used. I have no idea what I am doing. I just assumed the buttons did what they said.

Capture.PNG
    598 x 629 - 32K
  • Did you export and reimport Custom Actions or just Menus?

• edited January 2022

Richard Haseltine said:

Did you export and reimport Custom Actions or just Menus?

I did both custom actions and menus. In the orignal image I posted it shows the menus correctly and it shows the custom actions with the question marks. So it cleary tried to import the custom actions. I can only assume the question marks mean something since the custom actions don't actually show in the real menus

for example in the first image I posted one of the custom actions that should be working is highlighted in the G8F sub menu that correctly imported

Post edited by heinzerbrew_f94794efff on
  • The menus just point to the GUID, the global unique identifier, for the action - they don't store details of the action itself.

• edited January 2022

Richard Haseltine said:

The menus just point to the GUID, the global unique identifier, for the action - they don't store details of the action itself.

I am not sure what you mean by, "they don't store details of the action itself". I haven't been talking about the specific action at all. I have been talking about the ids that are in the picture that I posted that aren't working. I exported both the menus and the actions. What else is there?

I want to be able to use my custom action menu called "scripts" on more than one installation. I want to export that "scripts" menu with the sub-menus and pointers to my custom actions. then I want to be able to click "scripts" and see the names of my custom actions in the menu and be able to click them. Then I want daz to run the duf file pointed to by the menu. I assume that somehow I need to export that data from daz and then import that into the other daz. If you know how to do that please tell me.

Thank you

(I apologies for the poor wording that made it seem like I was talking about the action itself.)

• Please let me try again. Attached is a picture of what I want to reuse in my other daz installations. In the picture is a menu button called scripts I want to save that menu and submenu along with the entries in the menu for example genesis  basic female. I want to be able to click on the menu entries and have daz launch the scripts and duf files associated to the entries.

menu.png
    424 x 223 - 36K
  • And are the files the actions are pointing to still available, in the same relative location within the content directory?

• edited January 2022

Richard Haseltine said:

And are the files the actions are pointing to still available, in the same relative location within the content directory?

They are 100% unchanged in any way. It is literally the exact same library. The library is listed in my content directory manager and I can run the scripts and duf files without any problem using the content library tab. Both installs are able to access the library without out any problems.

(So to be clear, both installations are both pointing to the exact same 1 and 0's on my hard drive. This data is not stored in more than one place. When daz accesses these files the exact same harddrive spins up and the exact same particles on the platter are accessed.)

• I thought it was generally possible to transfer Custom Actions - I thought I'd done it after having to reinstall Windows on this machine a while back - so I'm not at all sure what the issue here might be.

• Richard Haseltine said:

I thought it was generally possible to transfer Custom Actions - I thought I'd done it after having to reinstall Windows on this machine a while back - so I'm not at all sure what the issue here might be.

Well thanks. I guess I will just have to be happy with being able to import the submenues. This was really only a problem because I had to down grade my beta because of ghost light change. Then I saw a post on backing up daz settings and thought that could be useful.