DAZ Studio 4.16 dForce Issue

ArtsyDragonArtsyDragon Posts: 622

Hello,

Before updating my DAZ Studio to the latest version, I used dForce without issue. I tried to use it and got a strange error indicating a problem with the dForce kernels. It asks if I want to continue recompiling; I say yes, it fails. 

I did see an old thread from July 2021 with something similar indicating an issue with the AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT driver. It suggested rolling back to the previous version of the drivers. My drivers are version 30, with the last update being 10/18/2021. So I'm not sure if the drivers are the issue since I haven't changed anything other than updating DAZ Studio, and everything was working with the drivers before the DAZ Studio update.

I'm running Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit, 32 GB RAM, Graphics Card: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT, Driver Date 10/18/2021, Version 30.0.13023.1012; DAZ Studio 4.16.0.3.

Thanks,

Artsy

Post edited by ArtsyDragon on

Comments

• Iray is designed specifically for Nvidia cards, not Radeon or any other cards. Daz is written for Nvidia, nothing else.

• odysseyowl said:

Iray is designed specifically for Nvidia cards, not Radeon or any other cards. Daz is written for Nvidia, nothing else.

Iray works on CPUs, msotly, as well as GPUs. Daz Studio uses Iray, but it also has 3Delight and has a third-party plug-in for Octane, among other rendering options. Other aspects of Daz Studio that use the GPU (e.g. dForce) are cross-platform.

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,312
    edited January 2022

This may be of help (although it sounds a bit risky to do): https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/544871/two-tier-dforce-error-in-daz-4-16

Post edited by MelanieL on
  • cgidesigncgidesign Posts: 442

odysseyowl said:

Iray is designed specifically for Nvidia cards, not Radeon or any other cards. Daz is written for Nvidia, nothing else.

Dforce uses Open CL not Cuda as far as I know - and Open CL is supported by AMD and Nvidia.

• I've been rendering in IRay all along on this machine (AMD) and it renders fine. I'm not having trouble with IRay. I'm having trouble with dForce simulation. Before my DAZ upgraded to 4.16, I could use dForce without issue. I'm not convinced that the issue is that I'm trying to render on an AMD machine. When troubleshooting, you look for what changed last and when to pinpoint a change that caused the error. I haven't changed anything except the version of DAZ Studio. So that's where I'm looking for the fix.

I appreciate everyone that provided suggestions and opinions. I'll go ahead and drop a note to DAZ Support. (I'm not comfortable messing with the registry on my own.)

Cheers!

• SpaciousSpacious Posts: 481

Probably try updating the drivers for your AMD GPU.

• @Spacious Thank you for your suggestion. I'm sorry I have not been online to respond sooner.

Regarding your suggestion; those drivers have never been updated. Are you inferring that the new DAZ needs a higher/newer version of the AMD GPU drivers? I'm not real good with drivers and such.

• SpaciousSpacious Posts: 481

ArtsyDragon I only suggested updating GPU drivers because WIndows often messes with them with OS updates.  If DAZ is telling you that dForce kernels need to be compiled that means that you have a different driver than the last time you ran dForce.  I always update or reinstall drivers if I have any problems with DAZ and it usually helps.  Might be good to check under Advanced in the Simulation Settings tab if your GPU is even set to be used for dForce.

You don't say if the kernel compiling is failing, or if the simulation is failing.

If the kernel compilation is failing you might search for OpenCL drivers for your specific GPU, or there are Open CL drivers for many CPUs as well.  Sorry I don't know anything specific to AMD GPUs.

If it's the simulation failing, that happens sometimes especially if you've got a lot of geometry in the scene.  Try saving your scene, close DAZ completely meaning wait for it to clear all memory, open your scene fresh, and hope it works now.  If that doesn't work try hiding everything that the dForce object will not collide with.  You can substitute primitives for things like the floor or a bench.  I usually just delete everything that I don't need for collision and after running a sim, save as a scene subset to import into my original scene after deleting what I'm reimporting.

Hope this helps.

• @spacious Thank you for trying to educate me. Again, life got in the way of me being able to properly thank you sooner.

I've all but given up on the machine. When I first hit simulate, it says that either it has never been used or there was a change and it needs to reinitialize. Then it immediately fails. DAZ says the AMD driver changed but in looking at the driver, it was changed in October 2021, well before the DAZ Studio updated on me. DAZ couldn't tell me what version of the AMD Driver I should look for. I'm going to start looking for an Nvidia graphics card but that's like trying to find a unicorn due to the component shortage created by covid.

I'm on a different computer (laptop with restricted RAM) right now.