Can you determine what products you are using in a scene with a script?

whoacowboywhoacowboy Posts: 28

I am wondering if there is a way to determine which products you are using in a scene from a script. It would be great to track down sku numbers, urls, or even just the names.

thanks,

james

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,297
    edited December 1969

I don't think that would be possible. The actual models might be identifiable by geometry path or name, and the textures by folder path and name, but you'd then need to be able to do a reverse CMS look-up to get the product name (possibly). Poses, lights, cameras and so on don't, as far as I know, leave any traces and nor do purely procedural materials.

• whoacowboywhoacowboy Posts: 28
    edited December 1969

I didn't think so. Thanks.

• CypherFOXCypherFOX Posts: 3,401
    edited December 1969

Greetings,
    I spent a bit of time thinking about this, and I think with a CDDB-like file database of the contents of 3D packages, you could make a pretty good tool that would figure out most of the figure-outable things. (Excluding poses and procedural textures, for the most part...although...n/m...)

The real problem would be creating a list of the file contents for all the items in the DAZ store, or (even harder) the other stores. Once you have that as a database, it's straightforward to figure out the probability that a given scene uses a given piece of content.

It'd be a probability, but a pretty good one. It just takes some work.

-- Morgan

P.s. There's a thing you could do about poses and 'untraceable' items, where you compare their current settings to the set of poses and find the pose that's most similar. Could be some interesting things to learn from that kind of a tool... Wouldn't help if you've changed it a lot, but it'd be interesting to try... The key here is to only check against the poses/procedurals you have in your library.

P.p.s. Nobody's built this tool, so as yet, the answer is correctly 'no.'

• edited December 1969

There was a script for Poser that listed the zip file contents to a database. A user could do the same for installed products in order to document a scene contents.