Iray presets

AdemnusAdemnus Posts: 744
edited December 1969 in Product Suggestions

I'd love to see more materials and how about some fool-proof photometric lighting set-ups?

Comments

• KhoryKhory Posts: 3,854
    edited December 1969

I doubt if there will be anything in the store till much closer to the end of beta since some things may be changed.

• AdemnusAdemnus Posts: 744
    edited December 1969

I know, they do want suggestions now for products later, don't they? I don't expect anyone to make them overnight.

edited December 1969

Don't worry. We are all chomping at the bit to get to those so it will not be a lack of willingness to do them on the PA's part that holds them back.

• DaikatanaDaikatana Posts: 828
    edited December 1969

I would dearly love to see some good collections of lighting and render presets along with shader collections. One thing that is really needed is hair shaders or just some sort of defined preset that will work with the base shader so that hair does not look it was coated with a whole can of hairspray or painted on like an afterthought. Personally I am really struggling with getting hair to look right using Iray.

• kaotkblisskaotkbliss Posts: 2,914
    edited December 1969

Daikatana said:
    I would dearly love to see some good collections of lighting and render presets along with shader collections. One thing that is really needed is hair shaders or just some sort of defined preset that will work with the base shader so that hair does not look it was coated with a whole can of hairspray or painted on like an afterthought. Personally I am really struggling with getting hair to look right using Iray.

I just read a thread yesterday where it seems someone found a setting/slider that made a big difference in getting the hair to look a lot better in iray... now if I could only remember where I saw that

edited December 1969

One thing that is really needed is hair shaders or just some sort of defined preset that will work with the base shader so that hair does not look it was coated with a whole can of hairspray or painted on like an afterthought.

I think the problem with trying to have one base shader that can be used to convert hairs or characters is that there are some maps that need to be shifted from one slot to another in order to get the right look. That said I wonder if there is any market for products that convert several hair sets over to Iray optimization. Not necessarily new textures for the hair but converting all of the textures included with the product. Maybe grouped into big chunks of DAZ O's or by hair creator.

• DestinysGardenDestinysGarden Posts: 2,550
    edited December 1969

Daikatana said:
    I would dearly love to see some good collections of lighting and render presets along with shader collections.

I can definitely confirm this is being worked on by more than one person.
  • L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    edited March 2015

Daikatana said:

I just read a thread yesterday where it seems someone found a setting/slider that made a big difference in getting the hair to look a lot better in iray... now if I could only remember where I saw that

There is an entire thread on Iray and Hair: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/53879/

And I believe the post you are referring to is this one: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewreply/783637/

The "opacity" dial kaotkbliss is referring to is "Cutout Opacity" and is the first dial in the Geometry section. You will need to click on the "gear" and change or remove limits to dial it above 1.

Post edited by L'Adair on
  • NW316NW316 Posts: 79
    edited December 1969

Ditto on the pause and resume or even better to stop and save as is like some other renderers such as Reality.

I need info on setting up the skydome. It always blocks the lighting in my scene and I get a very dark image with barely any light.

• kaotkblisskaotkbliss Posts: 2,914
    edited December 1969

new316 said:
    Ditto on the pause and resume or even better to stop and save as is like some other renderers such as Reality.

I need info on setting up the skydome. It always blocks the lighting in my scene and I get a very dark image with barely any light.

apply the iray shader to the skydome, then under the skydome's emission settings, increase the lumin to like 100k or 150k or something like that.

Then in your render settings, set your sun node to skydome.

• Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited March 2015

SG take a look at this thread: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/53881/

Kaz got permission from Nobiax to release just about every single one of Nobax's textures as Iray presets (Nobiax makes some really good textures if you're not familiar with his work). From what I've seen they look good. It's a huge download though. Zip is over 1GB when compressed, and unzips to about 3.5GB.

You don't have to dl Nobiax's textures separately. Everything you need is included in the zip.

Post edited by Lissa_xyz on