DAZ Studio Installation Guide Mac

2»

Comments

• go awaygo away Posts: 15

Over the years I have tried running Daz Studio on Mac's and due to various problems along the way I have always gone back to running it on the Windows PC that I kept around specifically for that purpose.  Recently I acquired a new Mac Studio with an M1 Ultra processor (64 GB RAM) and decided to give it a try again.  Everything has been going pretty much okay so far, though I am not using CMS at this time because postgresql won't start.  It worked after I first installed the software but when I moved all of my content to an external drive, along with the CMS data files, it stopped working.  I'm sure it's a configuration file problem but I just haven't spent the time to track it down and fix it.  Obviously for Iray renders I'm using the CPUs rather than Nvidia GPUs but as far as I can tell that's working fine and is as fast, if not faster, than the ancient Nvidia graphics card in my old PC.

• go away said:

Over the years I have tried running Daz Studio on Mac's and due to various problems along the way I have always gone back to running it on the Windows PC that I kept around specifically for that purpose.  Recently I acquired a new Mac Studio with an M1 Ultra processor (64 GB RAM) and decided to give it a try again.  Everything has been going pretty much okay so far, though I am not using CMS at this time because postgresql won't start.  It worked after I first installed the software but when I moved all of my content to an external drive, along with the CMS data files, it stopped working.  I'm sure it's a configuration file problem but I just haven't spent the time to track it down and fix it.  Obviously for Iray renders I'm using the CPUs rather than Nvidia GPUs but as far as I can tell that's working fine and is as fast, if not faster, than the ancient Nvidia graphics card in my old PC.

Your problem may be that your content is on an external drive. I have a Mac Studio and did a fresh install of DAZStudio into the default locations, using a second DAZ account so that I installed just the basics without any purchased content. That went fine. I then told DIM & DAZStudio to use the "Backups" and  "My DAZ 3D Library" folders located on external SSDs, and when I started them they saw all of my content. The problem came when I tried to download and install DAZStudio Public Build, as well as any plug-ins or utilities. When installing those I'd get the pop-up to enter my password, which seemed to work okay, but then the installation failed. The helper log said that it was unable to open the zip files in my Downloads directory, even though it had opened content zips just fine.

After trying many different things I hit on copying the software-associated zip files into the Downloads folder in the default location, /Users/Shared/DAZ 3D/InstallManager/Downloads , then telling DIM to find my downloads there. The software-associated products showed up as ready to install, and installed without incident. I pointed DIM back to the external location and was able to install other products as well.

I don't know why DAZ doesn't install software from external drives. You might think that this was something Mac-related, but after finding my solution I found that a Windows user with a similar problem came up with the same trick: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/7238591/#Comment_7238591

• TBorNotTBorNot Posts: 362

If you want to move a directory onto another device, just leave a soft (symbolic) link at the old location pointing to the new.  See the man page "ln -s" for details.