Virtual Reality Q&A (OT)

124»

Comments

• MadaMada Posts: 1,871

Richard Haseltine said:

Mada said:

I highly recommend the Fat Boy Slim concert  coming up in the next couple of days. Its free, best to watch in VR of course but you can also watch it on desktop. Wear headphones and comfortable shoes - its a whole hour of dancing and partying :D 

https://app.engagevr.io/fatboyslim

https://twitter.com/kentbye/status/1640914641152008192

You are reporting from the future or you had a sneak peak (or helped to make it)?

I helped to test it :) A large group of VR VIPs did a session last night and they all loved it. Fat Boy Slim brings a lot of energy to the experience and being there in a large group of people was amazing.

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,614

When I got home from work yesterday I saw that Avatar The Way of Water was released on Amazon and being a big fan of the original and missing this in the theatres, I immediatly purchased it,  turned my phone off, threw on some sweats, grabbed some drinks. grabbed the Oculus Quest 2, layed down on the bed and got comfortable and spent over 3 hours watching it on a giant screen in VR! it was a great watching experience, especially considering the Quest 2 costs much less than a giant screen TV

Then I went in the living room and played Blade and Socery for about an hour until I was sweaty and worn out, Gotta love VR!

Thanks for the info on the Fat Boy Slim concert Mada, I'll have to check it out

oh now that sounds like a great idea - I've been waiting for a chance to watch The Way of Water :D

• Mada said:

Richard Haseltine said:

Mada said:

I highly recommend the Fat Boy Slim concert  coming up in the next couple of days. Its free, best to watch in VR of course but you can also watch it on desktop. Wear headphones and comfortable shoes - its a whole hour of dancing and partying :D 

https://app.engagevr.io/fatboyslim

https://twitter.com/kentbye/status/1640914641152008192

You are reporting from the future or you had a sneak peak (or helped to make it)?

I helped to test it :) A large group of VR VIPs did a session last night and they all loved it. Fat Boy Slim brings a lot of energy to the experience and being there in a large group of people was amazing.

Sounds fun.

edited April 2023

A friend made a recording of the Fat Boy Slim event - lots of head bobbing since it was impossible to stand still and the headset is the camera - all the shows were booked out :D

https://www.forbes.com/sites/charliefink/2023/04/03/fatboy-slims-eat-sleep-vr-repeat-a-jaw-dropping-musical-journey/amp/

http://www.the-sun.com/tech/7756867/fatboy-slim-vr-metaverse-concert/

Post edited by Mada on
    edited June 2023

Something for users that play games in VR :) especially if you have a good GPU. Luke Ross created a mod for some AAA games to bring them into VR. We are playing Horizon Zero Dawn at the moment and its incredible in VR. With the mod it runs pretty smooth on my 3080. The mechanical animals up close is just amazing. You can play first person but with all the fighting etc its more enjoyable to do it third person. That way you can see Aloy, as well as look around with the headset.

The mod is via Patreon, but worth it if you play games. So far we tested Horizon Zero Dawn and Grounded and both run smooth as butter and look amazing. You play with an XBox controller.

https://www.patreon.com/realvr/posts

Other games you can use the mod on : 

• Horizon: Zero Dawn
    • Cyberpunk 2077
    • Elden Ring
    • Dark Souls: Remastered
    • Final Fantasy VII Remake Intergrade
    • Ghostwire: Tokyo
    • Ghostrunner: Complete Edition
    • Stray

Post edited by Mada on

I was so bummed out when I discovered his RDR2 mod, after it was taken down. I want to try his Cyberpunk mod, but I doubt my 2080ti could handle it in VR.

edited June 2023

For Cyberpunk I would def recommend a 3080 - its one of the heavier ones to play. Upside is you'll be able to play when you get to upgrading your computer again :) I am glad I waited for upgrading first - and the new AER V2 mod is way better than anything available before this. I'll wait for a 4080 before I do Cyberpunk and Elden Ring. I'm happy someone is saving PCVR - I really dislike the tetherless games.

Post edited by Mada on

I recently had the chance to work with a canadian artist in bringing her art into VR - basically going inside a piece of art is one of the best things about VR IMO. The experience we worked on just got selected for 2 festivals - first one opens on Friday :)
    https://fivars.net/interactivity/interactive/dragon-magic-freedom-giants/

• the latest Quest VR stuff is looking pretty awesome, it is going to come down to whether I can physically wear a headset comfortably or not

that is the only reason I haven't so far used one

• WendyLuvsCatz said:

the latest Quest VR stuff is looking pretty awesome, it is going to come down to whether I can physically wear a headset comfortably or not

To have such an amazing peice of kit and package it with a garbage $1 strap is asinine imho.  Tried 3 third party straps for my nephew and got lucky with one on Amazon marketplace.

When I got a quest for myself I had a many times broken elite strap.. finally got a replacement and sold it on, then tracked down the one my nephew had from a Chinese seller on ebay, wouldn't swap it lol.

Of course if you are talking about eyestrain/headache comfort etc. got the wrong end of the stick.. 

edited September 2023

Anyone getting the Quest 3??? I just preordered mine and can't wait to try the increased resolution and the new mixed reality mode. DAZ really needs to get on the VR bandwagon!

WendyLuvsCatz said:

the latest Quest VR stuff is looking pretty awesome, it is going to come down to whether I can physically wear a headset comfortably or not

I have worn my Quest 2 for over 12 hours and didn't have any issues (other than tripping over the charging cord, LOL) I have actually gotting used to it and loike being immersed in the headset

Post edited by FSMCDesigns on
    edited October 2023

I spent the last couple of days helping a friend set up Quest 3's for co-location. Game changer - I am getting a Quest 3 as soon as I'm back in Australia (travelling in US at the moment :D)

It was fascinating seeing the difference that having a decent pass through camera can make especially for older people. A lot of people feel very uncomfortable if they can't see their surroundings, and with pass through they can see everything and get used to virtual reality. Bringing in a lion or a shark into their living room made them jump and they loved it :)

I could read text on my phone, and on my laptop. No more having to take my headset off to check something. And super comfortable, on par with my Index headset. I could wear my glasses without it pressing into my face, and the headset is light. Meta should have skipped the Quest Pro and gone straight to Quest 3 - its ticking all the boxes.

I'm celebrating this week - the VR experience I worked on called Dragon Magic/Awaken the Giants is in the Raindance Festival, and also got nominated for the Aurea Awards. Not bad for a VR experiment :). Awaken the Giants is a 20 storey art experience where you can walk around and inside the painting.

Post edited by Mada on

Congrats Mada, the VR experiment sounds very cool. I was thinking the other day how cool it would be if DAZ had a virtual gallery so that VR users would have a room(s) to view gallery images, like how we view the gallery now, only in VR in a virtual space. It might make more DAZ users interested in VR and would make me check the gallery out more.

I preordered my Quest 3 and it was defective when I got it, so I haven't tried it yet, but the replacement one comes today so I am eager to check it out.

oh no what was wrong with it? Lucky Meta is very responsive on replacing defective headsets.

Setting up a gallery in VR is intriguing - but would need some preparation for sure. I might be able to swing something - but there's a couple of things in VR that is limiting. Textures and images, especially large ones, can take up a lot of space and cause frame rate issues.. I dislike art galleries in VR that imitate RL galleries - I want to see new ways of displaying art that is not constrained by a flat wall - anything is possible in VR so lets use that :)

Mada said:

oh no what was wrong with it? Lucky Meta is very responsive on replacing defective headsets.

Setting up a gallery in VR is intriguing - but would need some preparation for sure. I might be able to swing something - but there's a couple of things in VR that is limiting. Textures and images, especially large ones, can take up a lot of space and cause frame rate issues.. I dislike art galleries in VR that imitate RL galleries - I want to see new ways of displaying art that is not constrained by a flat wall - anything is possible in VR so lets use that :)

I have yet to experience a virtual one that emulates a real world one, but I just love VR environments, so either real life or a trippy one are fine by me. I hadn't really thought about the limitations, but that makes sense.

Ideally what I would want to see is a DAZ official VR setting so that when a user uploads to the gallery, that image is also posted in the VR gallery so VR users can then just go to that room/setting and view (or interact with) with the same image that non VR users can also view. How cool would it be if the DAZ gallery was on a ship in space and while looking at the daily images you see ships flying around in space, planets, asteroids, etc Maybe even add to it with little robots running around, patrons around you looking at the art either being MP (other users), or AI (aliens even) or butterflys/birds flying about. Even add the option to leave comments in VR that the artist will see even if they are not in VR. I just feel DAZ could do more to raise the awareness of it's products and the users by showcasing their art in VR somehow. Then again, I am just trying to get more users into VR since that pushs development and makes things better for me, LOL

As many shows as I have watched in the Amazon prime VR app and 3d movie theatre, it never gets old feeling like you are in an actual theater, LOL

Maybe DAZ could create a product reel showcasing products and art and then host it as a movie night in Bigscreen.

• I picked up a Quest 3 for myself and another one for my brother a couple of days ago.

I love the mixed reality/pass through - especially compared to the Q2.  Even though it's a silly game, I laugh like a kid whenever I play "First Encounters" on the Q3.  I did a fairly detailed scan of my spare bedroom in that game.  The space critters bounced around and hid behind all sorts of furniture and even on the ceiling fan blades.  For me, "First Encounters" is a great taste of what AR/Mixed Reality can be.

I've noticed a couple of games don't seem to work quite right on the Q3.  One of my favorite titles is Vader Immortal Episode 1.  Have never played the actual game, just used the Light Saber Dojo to wield a light saber.  So much fun with that one.  But it seems to not let me select different training levels or exit the Dojo.  Maybe I'm missing/forgotten something there.  Most everything else works well and looks great.

I did pick up the Elite Head Strap with Battery and it's defective.  The headset is great, no issues with it.  The Elite strap will not power or recharge the headset though.  Chatted with Meta Support and they are looking into it.  It's impacting a growing number of new owners.

My brother has been using his Q2 since it came out.  He's a big flight simulator fan and has been trying to tune his gaming rig and Q2 to run MS Flight Simulator at high quality.  Now he's excited to have a Q3 (he didn't know I was buying one for him) and is making headway on getting MSFS working on the Q3.  It was great to see how happy he was to get the new headset.  He loves everything about it.

Lee

edited November 2023

Interview tomorrow if anyone is interested :)
    https://app.engagevr.io/events/gAPON/share

Screenshot 2023-11-15 095809.png
    435 x 455 - 40K
    Post edited by Mada on

Nice Mada! I will be at work all day, but I hope it goes well. i was looking at Julianas work the other day. I bet that was quite the experience in VR.

Yep - haven't had anyone who wasn't totally blown away when they come in :) Freedom Giants is even more impressive :D

edited November 2023

I have been playing with the passthru and mixed reality modes in the new Quest 3 and it is just mind blowing to be able to scan your room/playspace and have 3D objects interact with the real life objects due to the scanned data. I also discovered that one of the sand box games i use that uses the DAZ genesis 2 figures can also work with this mix reality mode. I was able to have life size DAZ figures moving around in my apt. With the right lighting, it can get kinda creepy since they are not real, but when you are sitting back in your office chair and see a lifesize 3D girl dancing around your living room you really have to take a double take.

here is a video from another user to give you an idea. they used static hair, but I used normal hair and it flows just like the clothing

https://1387905758.rsc.cdn77.org/data/video/304/304178-53a81b835fc0e2f5f13583d4e77245b7.mp4

Post edited by FSMCDesigns on
    edited November 2023

oh that looks pretty good - which sandbox game? :)

I'm spending some time in Tilt Brush - can lose hours in there.

Post edited by Mada on

Gamechanger - Praydog's UEVR Public Beta Mod now released.

UEVR is a New Free and Open-Source Tool / Framework That Brings 6DOF VR to almost every Unreal Engine 4 & 5 game.
    https://twitter.com/Flat2VR/status/1741569528113311791?t=Aq4utfcv1_Z2x40wGMtQXA&s=19 ;

LOL, I was just about to post about the UE injector. Now to see what Unreal games are on sale before the sale ends

have you tried it yet Mada?

edited January 1

Not yet, but I have been using Luke Ross's mod to play flat screen to VR games which is very similar and it works great. Currently playing Horizon Zero Dawn with it, as well as Grounded and Stray. It works pretty well with the Xbox controller - and the best thing of AAA games is there's decent stories and development. I love being able to look right around an environment.

One of the best things to play in VR is the sense of scale you get. Standing in an environment is way more immersive than looking at it on a flat screen.

Post edited by Mada on

edited March 10

Dragon Magic and Freedom Giants will show on the 10th of March, as well as a youtube feed of the experience - click on image below for the link :)

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Juliana Loh and Mada de Leeuw cordially invite you to embark on a journey of awe and wonder into the jaws of a dragon within their award-winning VR project, Dragon Magic: Freedom Giants. Meticulously hand-painted and optimized on the EngageXR platform, each facet of the world offers a truly distinctive perspective on VR design possibilities. Like layers of an onion, the story unfolds, celebrating diverse cultures and inspiring you to dream bigger.

Featured on prestigious platforms such as Raindance Immersive, Fivars, and Viff Signals, including the 2023 Passive Immersive Prize at AUSTXR Festival, their creations aim to mesmerize and inspire. Join this session and immerse yourself in our visionary world.

Post edited by Mada on
  • WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,747

Mada said:

Dragon Magic and Freedom Giants will show on the 10th of March, as well as a youtube feed of the experience - click on image below for the link :)

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Juliana Loh and Mada de Leeuw cordially invite you to embark on a journey of awe and wonder into the jaws of a dragon within their award-winning VR project, Dragon Magic: Freedom Giants. Meticulously hand-painted and optimized on the EngageXR platform, each facet of the world offers a truly distinctive perspective on VR design possibilities. Like layers of an onion, the story unfolds, celebrating diverse cultures and inspiring you to dream bigger.

Featured on prestigious platforms such as Raindance Immersive, Fivars, and Viff Signals, including the 2023 Passive Immersive Prize at AUSTXR Festival, their creations aim to mesmerize and inspire. Join this session and immerse yourself in our visionary world.

Sounds awesome! How can I view this on a Quest 2?

good morning (3.30am for me, waaaay too early). I just checked, the VR side of this is at capacity now for this session - I will post a link and instructions on how to enter by yourself a bit later today :)

edited March 10

OK that was a crazy session - you can never prepare for everything lol. You can tour the worlds by going to Engage, join session and then put in for session ID - kenP9

pdf
    pdf
    ENGAGE Quick Start Guide.pdf
    Post edited by Mada on