Daz no longer opens post update

Hi folks, not-too tech savvy hobbyist here.

The story: I had Daz 4.15 installed on a non-boot drive and saw the alert about an update. Went to the site and ended up downloading and installing Daz Central as I believed that was the easiest, cleanest way to update Daz. The update seems to have installed but I got an error message when I tried to open Daz. "Error copying file from packed archive D://DazStudio_4.16.03_Win64.exe..."

I'll skip the rest of that because what I did next was uninstall Daz Central and Daz Studio. I also deleted all Daz related registry keys.

Next I found the manual install file for Daz 4.16 and installed it without Daz Central. The install seemed to go well.. But when I launch Daz...nothing. Not even the launch window. Looking in the Windows Task Manager, Daz Studio Application shows up in Background Processes but shows 0% CPU usage. Based on some of my reading here, I've closed the program, gone into Task Manager and closed the Daz Studio Application processes as well as all the PostgreSQL instances as well, and then tried to launch the program again.

Same response - as in none.

Does anybody know how I can get Daz running again AND explain it simply to a poor schmoe like me?

I thank anybody who feels like helping!

Comments

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,872
    edited December 2021

Exactly what file(s) did you download from your product library?

Are you sure you are installing the correct version for your operating system? Win 64 vs. Win 32, for example.

What path did you install them to?

Do you have plenty of hard drive space to extract and install the program?

Are you sure you are trying to run Daz Studio from that install location and not using an old shortcut that tries to load from some previous install location or previous file name?

Have you considered installing with Daz Install Manager (DIM). It is more configurable that Daz Central and a reliable Daz Studio installation method.

Was any Daz Studio log file created when you tried to run the program, even if no window opened? In Windows 10 you can find the log file in "C:\Users\[your-computer-username]\AppData\Roaming\DAZ 3D\Studio4\log.txt

Post edited by barbult on
  • It's possible that the manual deletion of Registry keys may have caused issues - it really isn't something you should do without a clear understanding of what you are doing and why it is necessary. If no one else comes up with a better fix I think you will need to open a support ticket.

• Hi barbult,

Answering each in turn to the best of my knowledge:

- Yes. I installed Win 64, same as all previous versions of Daz on my computer.

- F:\DAZ studio\Studio\Library\Applications\64-bit\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4

- On that drive, yes (which is why I install it there instead of my boot drive which does not have the necessary space).

- I've tried launching the program from the desktop shortcut (which is unique to the latest install) and from the .exe file in the prorgam folder itself. Same non-launch.

- I used to use Daz Install Manager but it appears to no longer be on my computer - possibly due to my purge of Daz (all I retained was my library of assets). So, no, I haven't used it for this latest install.

- No log file. Not even a "Daz 3D" folder in AppData\Roaming 

Thanks for giving me some things to check any ideas as to next step?

• You can go to your product library at Daz select one of your assets and there will be a link to download DIM.

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,910
    edited December 2021
    Post edited by frank0314 on
    If you decide to use Daz Install Manager, be sure to click on the gear icon and configure your application and content folder paths before you install anything, so they don't go to the default C drive locations.
  • Thanks everybody! First, the good news: reinstalling Daz Install Manager and then reinstalling Daz Studio 4.16 through it worked! Daz Studio opens, my library is all there. Only issue now? Everytime it opens I get this error message:

"A valid PostgreSQL CMS connection could not be established......."

I followed some suggestions from the board on this error - as in: I added exceptions in Windows Firewall and my security program for PostgreSQL. That didn't do anything. Any further hints?

You need to install PosrgreSQL from the install manager. It is a separate installation package. Did you do that yet?
  • Hi barbult and everybody, sorry for the late reply. Holidays stuff.

UPDATE: I did install PostgreSQL with the DIM but still get the same connection error message. I can open and use the program, make renders, etc, but anytime I try to do a content search it closes the program. I think PostgreSQL is installed fine, but suspect that multiple content libraries are the cause of the crashes. Please see the screenshot.

Due to multiple installs, it looks like I have multiple content library locations. It should just be F:\DAZ studio\Studio\Library

Is it possible to just consolidate these libraries and then delete the extraneous locations in my Content Preferences? Would that help?

Screenshot 2021-12-28 01.02.49.png
    703 x 449 - 32K
    I have multiple content libraries, and that has not been a problem. You could test your theory easily by just removing the two extra libraries from Daz Studio Formats and from Poser Formats. Don't move any files around on your disks until you've tried that simple test. You have your screenshot of the paths, so you can add them back later if you want to. Do those extraneous libraries even have content in them? You can see by expanding each one in the Content Library and seeing what they contain.
  • PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,013

You have nested content libraries in DAZ Studio Formats and Poser Formats, the third one is a subfolder of the first one, and DS doesn't like that