Invisible mirror plane

airlegacy22airlegacy22 Posts: 34

Hey there!

My question is, is it possible to create a plane, that acts as a mirror, but otherwise invisible?

Let me explain a bit better. Let's say the camera is looking at the character at a 45° angle from the front. I'd like a mirror very close, say 1 foot, behind the character. So in this image, both the front and the back of the character would be visible. BUT I just want to render the character and its mirror image as png. So using an actual mirror surface wouldn't cut it.

What I need, essentially, is a plane that is invisible, unless when it'd reflect something, in which case that something is rendered.

I have no clue if that would even theoretically be possible, due to how DAZ works, but if anyone knows how to achive this with any method, please let me know.

Thank you!

Post edited by airlegacy22 on

Comments

• you could create an instance of the character and scale it -100 on the X-axis and stick it rotated 180° behind the character 

• tsroemitsroemi Posts: 2,690

Maybe you'll want to have a look at this set: https://www.daz3d.com/iray-hdri-toolkit. Methinks there could be something useful in there for your purposes - these 'reflectors' that he uses - but I'm not sure as I don't own the kit.

• So... both of your suggestions are AWESOME! Thank you to both of you, WendyLuvsCatz and tsroemi! It was super helpful! :)