Iray crashing on render

JaeAlexisLeeJaeAlexisLee Posts: 11

I'm getting a really odd crash. The reason I say odd is because I can set the view port to Iray and things render just fine in the view port. When I hit the render button however, it fails utterly. And it seems to be specific to something in this scene. I loaded up an empty scene and hit render and off Iray goes, rendering nothing (and doing it very quickly!)

When I render, this is what I'm getting in my log file:

Rendering image
Iray INFO - module:category(IMAGE:IO): 1.0 IMAGE io info : Loading image "C:/Users/Public/Documents/My DAZ 3D Library/Runtime/Textures/Godin/Mave_Textures/VHMaveTth.jpg", pixel type "Rgb", 1500x1500x1 pixels, 1 miplevel.
Iray INFO - module:category(IMAGE:IO): 1.0 IMAGE io info : Loading image "C:/Users/Public/Documents/My DAZ 3D Library/Runtime/Textures/Godin/Mave_Textures/VHMaveT.jpg", pixel type "Rgb", 4000x4000x1 pixels, 1 miplevel.
Iray INFO - module:category(IMAGE:IO): 1.0 IMAGE io info : Loading image "C:/Users/Public/Documents/My DAZ 3D Library/Runtime/Textures/Godin/Mave_Textures/VHMaveTB.jpg", pixel type "Rgb", 4000x4000x1 pixels, 1 miplevel.
Iray INFO - module:category(IMAGE:IO): 1.0 IMAGE io info : Loading image "C:/Users/Public/Documents/My DAZ 3D Library/Runtime/Textures/Godin/Mave_Textures/VHMaveL.jpg", pixel type "Rgb", 4000x4000x1 pixels, 1 miplevel.
Iray INFO - module:category(IMAGE:IO): 1.0 IMAGE io info : Loading image "C:/Users/Public/Documents/My DAZ 3D Library/Runtime/Textures/Godin/Mave_Textures/VHMaveLB.jpg", pixel type "Rgb", 4000x4000x1 pixels, 1 miplevel.
Iray INFO - module:category(IMAGE:IO): 1.0 IMAGE io info : Loading image "C:/Users/Public/Documents/My DAZ 3D Library/Runtime/Textures/Godin/Mave_Textures/VHMaveLsh.jpg", pixel type "Rgb", 2000x2000x1 pixels, 1 miplevel.
Iray INFO - module:category(IMAGE:IO): 1.0 IMAGE io info : Loading image "C:/Users/Public/Documents/My DAZ 3D Library/Runtime/Textures/Godin/Mave_Textures/VHMaveRefl.jpg", pixel type "Rgb", 1024x1024x1 pixels, 1 miplevel.
Iray INFO - module:category(IMAGE:IO): 1.0 IMAGE io info : Loading image "C:/Users/Public/Documents/My DAZ 3D Library/Runtime/Textures/Godin/Mave_Textures/VHMaveScl.jpg", pixel type "Rgb", 2048x2048x1 pixels, 1 miplevel.
Iray INFO - module:category(IMAGE:IO): 1.0 IMAGE io info : Loading image "C:/Users/Public/Documents/My DAZ 3D Library/Runtime/Textures/Godin/Mave_Textures/VHMaveE03.jpg", pixel type "Rgb", 2048x2048x1 pixels, 1 miplevel.
Iray INFO - module:category(IMAGE:IO): 1.0 IMAGE io info : Loading image "C:/Users/Public/Documents/My DAZ 3D Library/Runtime/Textures/Godin/Mave_Textures/VHMaveEB.jpg", pixel type "Rgb", 2048x2048x1 pixels, 1 miplevel.
Iray INFO - module:category(IMAGE:IO): 1.0 IMAGE io info : Loading image "C:/Users/Public/Documents/My DAZ 3D Library/Runtime/Textures/Godin/Mave_Textures/VHMvMU05.jpg", pixel type "Rgb", 4000x4000x1 pixels, 1 miplevel.
Iray INFO - module:category(IMAGE:IO): 1.0 IMAGE io info : Loading image "C:/Users/Public/Documents/My DAZ 3D Library/Runtime/Textures/Godin/Mave_Textures/VHMaveFB.jpg", pixel type "Rgb", 4000x4000x1 pixels, 1 miplevel.
Iray INFO - module:category(IMAGE:IO): 1.0 IMAGE io info : Loading image "C:/Users/Public/Documents/My DAZ 3D Library/Runtime/Textures/Godin/Mave_Textures/VHMaveLp13.jpg", pixel type "Rgb", 4000x4000x1 pixels, 1 miplevel.
Iray INFO - module:category(IMAGE:IO): 1.0 IMAGE io info : Loading image "C:/Users/Public/Documents/My DAZ 3D Library/Runtime/Textures/Godin/Mave_Textures/VHMaveF.jpg", pixel type "Rgb", 4000x4000x1 pixels, 1 miplevel.
WARNING: dzneuraymgr.cpp(256): Iray WARNING - module:category(API:DATABASE): 1.0 API db warn : Transaction is released without being committed or aborted. Automatically aborting.
Total Rendering Time: 9 minutes 36.0 seconds

Thoughts? I'm not sure where to go with this.

Hardware wise I'm using a GTX 970 and an i7-5960X, Windows 8.1 if that's relevant. There's not enough in the scene for me to think that it's a memory issue with the card, I've thrown worse at it... I've tried rebuilding the scene from scratch but have the same problems.

Post edited by fixmypcmike on

Comments

• StratDragonStratDragon Posts: 3,167
    edited March 2015

CPU or GPU render? Does either work? Does a combo of both work?
    for GPU are your video drivers up-to-date from nVidia's site for your card and OS?
    Iray is strictly 64 bit so I'm assuming your not using Win8 32 bit.

Post edited by StratDragon on
  • JaeAlexisLeeJaeAlexisLee Posts: 11
    edited December 1969

for GPU are your video drivers up-to-date from nVidia's site for your card and OS?

GPU render, yes drivers are up to date. Tried both CPU and Combo, neither worked.

I iterated through the scene and found the offending clothing item. It's Supernova's Andromeda SR-X01 from Renderosity. Remove the item from the scene and it renders fine. Add the item and IRAY will render in the viewport, but won't start an actual render.

• StratDragonStratDragon Posts: 3,167
    edited December 1969

GPU render, yes drivers are up to date. Tried both CPU and Combo, neither worked.

I iterated through the scene and found the offending clothing item. It's Supernova's Andromeda SR-X01 from Renderosity. Remove the item from the scene and it renders fine. Add the item and IRAY will render in the viewport, but won't start an actual render.

contact the vendor at Rendo. Even if they can't fix it they might be alerted to new products being usable with their modeling methods.

edited December 1969

The question I would ask though is: Why will Iray render the item successfully in the view port but not render the item when I actually push the render button?

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited March 2015

The question I would ask though is: Why will Iray render the item successfully in the view port but not render the item when I actually push the render button?

My guess would be that the viewport render only applies a subset of the features of the full render...probably not all the subdivision or the textures at full res...stuff like that.

Have you tried the item by itself, with no textures?

It's an android 'armor'...right...bazillion pieces that all load pasted on V4...and a ton of color options? Plus morphs out the ears...I had it on my wish list for years, but never bought it, because it always seemed to me to favor Poser and it's materials.

Post edited by mjc1016 on
    edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:

My guess would be that the viewport render only applies a subset of the features of the full render...probably not all the subdivision or the textures at full res...stuff like that.

I can give it a go tonight when I get home. But the applied texture in this case is the Iray car-paint.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:

I can give it a go tonight when I get home. But the applied texture in this case is the Iray car-paint.

Does that one strip out any bump/displacement/transmaps? I haven't had a chance to try out any of the Iray materials yet...the couple of scenes I've rendered were just autoconverted base materials.

edited December 1969

Okay, back for more granular testing.

Testing: Loaded the outfit without applying textures. The only image map applied is a reflection map. Renders in view port (Iray) and renders when I actually hit render.

Applied the Iray Uber Base and checked for maps. Not seeing any, so it looks like it cleared out the reflection map. Still renders in the view port, renders when I hit the button.

Applied the Iray shader "Car Paint - Midnight Blue", renders in the view port... still renders.

Time for more iterating... something caused by the deformers applied? I don't know... reloaded my saved scene and it still doesn't render but I'm getting beyond stumped on why not.... take three...

edited December 1969

Found it! Occurs if the Render SubD level is higher than 1!

• vladymirpainvladymirpain Posts: 6
    edited June 2023

JaeAlexisLee said:

Found it! Occurs if the Render SubD level is higher than 1!

You partner just saved me. I tried everything. I would never thought about this. And it was it! Thank you so much.

Well, too bad I already missed the deadline and also I wish I found your advise before I doubled my RAM, but I guess that will be handy eventualy.

Post edited by vladymirpain on