BRYCE RENDER CHALLENGE ►►►Spring Edition◄◄◄ Theme is Ψ¦¦¦¦¦¦Ψ SCIENCE FICTION Ψ¦¦¦¦¦¦

Comments

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

Battle Bot on Earth 5

000_BB.jpg
    1434 x 695 - 590K
  • Yellow PenYellow Pen Posts: 920
    edited April 2015

thank you Sandy, Horo, Hansmar and mtnmen for your nice comments :-)

Here is my second entry: (WIP, I changed the Light. The final entry I posted again)

Silent running

Dewey is working for the plants while Huey and Louie are learning how to play Poker... it's succesfull I think :-)
    The Roboter I built with Bryce.

Silent_running.jpg
    1400 x 787 - 909K
    Post edited by Yellow Pen on
    edited December 1969

and here is my third Entry:

Vision of a strange Planet.

It's difficult from all the other... I played with Terrains and Materials, and this here is the result.
    This was not planned and has originated by chance.

Vision_of_a_strange_far_away_planet.jpg
    1400 x 787 - 559K
  • Lord GanthorLord Ganthor Posts: 592
    edited December 1969

The Last Boy On Earth

Sort of a tribute to all the juvenile SF novels, movies, comics and TV shows of the 1950s and 1960s.

The_Last_Boy_on_Earth.jpg
    1001 x 700 - 596K
  • drachenlordsdrachenlords Posts: 821
    edited December 1969

@Horo:
    Even your third picture has become really good.

@Yellow Pen:
    three interesting pictures, which I like most poker robot.

@Sean Riesch:
    Great idea with a lot of momentum in the image.

@hansmar:
    Very fun picture. Reminds me a little of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

@mtnmen:
    Very cool idea and great render.

@mermaid010:
    Very spacey. I like it.

@bigh:
    Very interesting picture, but the texture of the car looks really futuristic.

@Lord Ganthor:
    WOW! I think this looks like a winner.

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,395
    edited December 1969

Thanks Drachenlords

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,105
    edited December 1969

Another batch of great renders. Another hard one for the judges.

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited December 1969

I have an updated version of my last WIP. I chopped away some of the rock so you could see a little bit more of the robotic centipede, added some additional detail to it that wasn't there before, and raised the light level a bit so you could see it better. Unfortunately that changed the sky quite a bit and would have washed out the double suns, so I had to change the sky and haze a lot. The background looks different now as a result, although I think its still ok. I also raised the reflectivity of the glass-like leaves a bit.

outside_the_box.jpg
    1608 x 1005 - 1M
  • adbcadbc Posts: 3,115
    edited April 2015

@mermaid010 : I like the nebula, great colour explosion.
    @bigh : hope he stays in the picture !
    @Yellow Pen : the poker player is a nice idea and I like the effects of the strange planet.
    @Lord Ganthor : very realistic representation of the SF stuff back then.
    @Sean Riesch : a very nice update.

Post edited by adbc on
  • HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,895
    edited April 2015

@asterlil: bring out the weird stuff, please!

@bigh: I would have liked a bit more light on the figure in the front. But I do like the colours you use and the way the gun-motor-tank, whatever, does not quite fit the scene. Shows how big it is.

@yellow Pen: Very nice bots!. But in your bot render also I would like a little more light. The dry grass texture looks very nice! Quite a lot of light in your last entry. I like the reflections and the colours.

@Lord Ganthor: Wonderful comic book scene. Great details. I guess if I were the last boy on earth and would have a rocket firing behind me, I would: 1) look at the rocket and 2) cover my ears (must be a horrible sound) and 3) cry my eyes out!

@drachenlords: Thanks a lot. My point of reference was a bit different (more Star Trek). I must admit that 'Hitchhiker's guide' is not on my list of SciFi books (yet?)

@Sean Riesch: Mucht better view of the main subjects, indeed. You could keep trying to get more life in the sky, maybe.

So, here is my second entry: "The dawn of man, alternative scene".

I trust that the judges will known their classic Sci-fi and understand the reference. Apes are Gorillas for M4 (DAZ), birds are from the bird pack that I referred to before. Plants are from Bryce or X-frog. I used quite some instancing for the grass (grass 17 and 19) and other plants. I wonder whether anybody sees all the animals in the scene?
    Edit: forgot to mention the wonderful HDRI that I used: 'Dark sunset' A freebee, from....uh. You'd better Google it.
    And I used the 'God rays' tutorial by David Brinnen.

the_beach2.jpg
    1434 x 695 - 765K
    Post edited by Hansmar on
    edited April 2015

And this might be my third entry. However, I have another scene in mind, which would be quite a lot of work to make, so I might not succeed (in time).

If you don't hear anything else, this is my entry 3. It is totally different from the earlier ones. It actually started out as just some playing to get to an abstract, but I did see potential. Think a metalic voice saying something like: "You not worry, I am the alien!"
    This is pure Bryce work. Only primitives, sky, some lights, textures, rendering: everything in Bryce. Not even a very limited bit of postprocessing in this one, because I like it like it is.

Name of the render: "The alien".

the_alien.jpg
    695 x 695 - 271K
    Post edited by Hansmar on
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,545
    edited April 2015

@bigh - looking great.

@yellow Pen - Solent running is nice idea, great modelling and very well done. Vision of a strange Planet is a nice view through the haze. I like the idea.

@Lord Ganthor - definitely a classic. It reminds me of an old sci-fi novel but I forgot author and name of novel.

@drachenlords - thank you.

@Sean Riesch - the improvement is obvious. Well done.

@hansmar - great scene, very well done- The rock in front is a bit angular. The alien is special, but has some charm.

Post edited by Horo on
    edited December 1969

@hansmar : I like the apes in your second entry. The Alien looks "different", the colours are great !

This is my second entry.
    Title : World City year 3000.
    Partly Bryce, Wings3d and downloaded items.

World_city_year_3000.jpg
    987 x 493 - 106K
    edited December 1969

thanks Drachenlords, adbc, Horo and Hansmar for your nice comments.

Hansmar: I made the light a little bit brighter. So it looks better, thanks for your tip :-)

So this here is my final second entry:

Silent running 1

Silent_running_1.jpg
    1400 x 787 - 948K
  • mtnmenmtnmen Posts: 444
    edited December 1969

Thanks adbc,horo, drachenlords for your comments...
    @lord ganthor... Last Boy on Earth is a fabulous render... The poor kid, wondering what's his next move... I think he will survive most excellently ...
    @mermaid... Invasion is Very Nice!
    @bigh...Battle Bot On Earth5 has really great atmosphere... nice image.
    @yellowpen...Silent Running1... A really nice image and it brought back memories of that movie...
    @sean reisch... I like seeing more of that scary beast she's riding... fun
    @hansmar... I see a little bit of 2001: a Space Odyssey there... and a very interesting Alien... Not your typical Carbon based creature at all.
    @adbc... World City is really cool!.. Love the architechture...

Okay,
    Here is my second entry: The Effects of Nuclear Testing

In the 1950's, Hollywood reacted to the Atom Bomb testing that took place in the American Southwest as well as in the Pacific, with fears of monstrous mutations resulting from the radiation. Classics such as "Them" and "The Giant Leeches", "Tarantula", and let's not forget "Godzilla" were all inspired by the Nuclear Age.

Tarantula--Content Paradise
    "Side Street"--Daz
    Mushroom Cloud--Hexagon

The_Effects_of_Nuclear_Testing.jpg
    960 x 720 - 550K
  • bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

thanks guys for the nice comments !

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

Well it's not science fiction without a bit of Dr Who.
    Once again the Doctor is in peril as the Tardis is sinking into the frozen lake somewhere in space and time.

DeadTradis2.jpg
    1111 x 650 - 327K
    edited December 1969

@mtnmen : thanks.
    The Effect of Nuclear Testing : image and title are a perfect match. Nice render.
    @TheSavage64 : Great interpretation of a Dr.Who adventure.

edited December 1969

@adbc: Thank you. You're city looks very good. Nice to see that it is not all very high rise buildings.

@Horo: Thanks. Indeed, the rock is not OK. I made a new version in which I added another rock in front so it is not visible (well, just a tiny bit, but that's no problem).

@yellow Pen: You're welcome. Indeed this shows more of the scene.

@mtnmen: Nice work. I like the comic book style. And the shadows of the spider legs are great. Maybe the explosion is a bit over the top and the very light explosion does distract the eye a bit from the big monster. It must be in the distance, but it looks like it is at the same level as the spider. Perhaps make it a bit less bright?
    And indeed, you get the connection right on my 'Ape' render. Inspired by one of the greatest Sci-fi movies.

@TheSavage64: Nice scene. The doctor must be able to overcome something as simple as sinking in the ice, surely? Great sky colours!

As indicated, I listened to Horo and modified my render to get away with the too angular aspect of the rock in the front. So this is my (final?) version of the render “The dawn of man, alternative scene”.

the_beach2a.jpg
    1434 x 695 - 767K
    edited December 1969

@adbc - great render, very sci-fi.

@yellow Pen - a tiny bit brighter.

@mtnmen - not my favorite world with such spiders. Well done.

@Dave - that's a cool render in more than one way.

@hansmar - great improvement on the stone. What bugs me a bit is how sharp the light rays are. I would expect it to fade a bit on the sides. But in the end, that's the artist's decision.

edited December 1969

@Horo: I did try to get a more soft look at the outside. I spent quite some time with different settings of materials and different light settings. This is the best I was able to do. I might try a bit more. Maybe I will get it somehow.

edited December 1969

hansmar said:
    @Horo: I did try to get a more soft look at the outside. I spent quite some time with different settings of materials and different light settings. This is the best I was able to do. I might try a bit more. Maybe I will get it somehow.

Is it a volumetric material (cones or something) or 2D?

If it's volumetric, you could stretch it in the dimension going towards/away-from the camera, which would make it thicker in the middle and thinner on the sides. You'd probably have to lower the density a bit.

If it's 2D, you could make a few copies that are slightly narrower to lesser degrees and stack them, make them all less dense so that where they stack up you are looking through all of them at once and it will be denser, but the layers (and thus density) will thin out as you get to the wider ones where you are only looking through a single copy at the very outer edge. Of course it won't be gradual unless you have many layers, but it might still work since light beams sort of have lines on the edges anyway.

edited December 1969

@hansmar - have you looked at Frozencry's Streaming Rays? They are free: http://www.bryce5.com/details.php?image_id=1144. Perhaps that helps - or for another project. I'm very happy with that material and used it often.

• mtnmenmtnmen Posts: 444
    edited December 1969

Hey... thanks for the great comments...
    @hansmar... I think you may be right about that nuclear detonation. So, again, thanks for the comment and we'll consider my second entry as a WIP... I'll work on it's next incarnation... and see what happens.

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,395
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the nice comments. Really awesome entries from everyone.

Using the Coloured3c Hdri, a freebie and a Structure Synth object, the rest ...........Bryce :-)

My 2nd entry – Weird Planet

weirdplantfinal.jpg
    700 x 525 - 46K
  • Fencepost52Fencepost52 Posts: 509
    edited April 2015

Some really awesome entries in this thread, and I'm ashamed to even post, but, what the heck. Instead of "when aliens attack", this one is entitled, "When Aliens Relax". The land objects with the spikes being used as the horseshoe stakes are HDRI images turned into terrains, a technique described by Horo in a product of his and David's. Horseshoes (can you imagine the size of those horses?!) were made in GIMP and are SymLat objects. Aliens and stone henge models are from the DAZ store; cities and extra planetary body are from Estevez.

MartianHorseshoes.jpg
    1500 x 750 - 1M
    Post edited by Fencepost52 on
    edited December 1969

@Sean Riesch: Thanks for the suggestions. I tried the stacked technique and it did do some good, but too clear stacks for me.

@Horo: Thanks again. I downloaded the material from Frozencry. Took some time before I realised that my black ambient did not help :cheese: but I got it. I think this will work, so rerendering the scene once again. So, my 'The dawn of man, alternative scene' as produced earlier is still a WIP!

@mtnmen: You're welcome. We are here to help each other!

@mermaid010: Lovely 'weird planet'. Great colours!

@fencepost52: nothing to be ashamed about. Very nice idea. I knew these aliens 'looked like us'; if not in physique, then maybe in free time play!

My next (last) version of 'The dawn of man, alternative scene' will appear later.......

• orbitalorbital Posts: 120
    edited December 1969

All Bryce except some colour correction. The ships were rendered separately because the radial lights for the engines seemed to react with the cone lights for the sun causing a big increase in render time.

Other_Worlds.jpg
    1200 x 580 - 177K
    edited December 1969

Very nice, Orbital!

• orbitalorbital Posts: 120
    edited December 1969

Very nice, Orbital!

Cheers