Custom Actions (in the Scripts Menu) Disappear

Causam3DCausam3D Posts: 207

Hi,

[Custom Actions (in the Scripts Menu) Disappear] This has happened for the second time, which is annoying because I have a goodly number of them with submenus.  I don't know why it has happened, the only thing I can offer is that the last time I worked in Daz which was yesterday, I had run a timeline animation.  Also, I allowed the Windows cumulative update to happen yesterday (yes, the scripts were still there after this). Restarting Daz today after the shutdown maybe had a triggering effect?.  Other than that, nothing new or different.  Has anyone else had a problem with these scripts disappearing?

4.15.0.2 Pro 64 bit Windows

Many thanks!

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on

Comments

• It may be that the update or some other action corrupted the layout files (in %appdata%/daz 3d/studio4/ ). These can be backed up.

• Oh, these windows updates...
  • smaker1smaker1 Posts: 275

Yes same trouble for me and I suspected a Windows update. I reloaded my saved workspace but they are still missing. I'll back up the folder Richard mentioned.

• Causam3DCausam3D Posts: 207

Thanks Richard!

Ok, following up....  I did find the "customactions.dsx" file.  I opened it in notepad, and it doesn't look corrupted.  I see all of the actions there I have ever added.  When I re-add an action, I get a popup that says:

"A custom action for "<the thing I just re-added>" already exists.
    "<the thing I just re-added>" is available in the "Scripts > < the menu I just re-added>" menu on the Main Menu Bar."

And sure enough, it will be there after I close the popup.

The customactions.dsx file modification time/date does NOT update however until I restart Daz.  So here's my question: if the file isn't corrupted -- and it can't be, given that the contents remain the same after I re-add something and the file is re-written after a restart with nothing changed about the thing I re-add -- then what could be causing Daz not to recognize the contents and display it in the interface?  And given that it isn't corrupted (its full contents just isn't being displayed on the interface when one of these disappearing acts takes place), then obviously backing it up will make no difference.  Well, that is an assumption but I think a fairly safe one.

This is definitely a question for the coders.  But  the above information should put someone immediately onto the right track, because it clearly has to do with some single function or subroutine in the software.

My hunch is still with postgresql not being updated in terms of flags or something, but that's my personal axe to grind :D .  Whatever it is, it has to be easily identifiable to a Daz coder with the above info.

I sincerely hope this helps development and anyone else who happens on this thread!

• Have you looked to see if theya re still in Window>Workspace>Cuistomise under teh Custom group on the left? If so it would be the menu file that was having a problem, not the customactions file. Do note, however, that there is a bug in Daz Studfio 4.20.0.2 that keeps it from saving the layout files if theer is no pre-existing file in the AppData folder.

Hi Richard,

Yes, they are still there including icons.  However this has been happening since well before 4.20.  Can I use the fact that they're still there to fix it?  Sorry, I'm not into the deep nuts and bolts of Daz like y'all are.

• Well, if the custom actions are still there you can just drag them into the menu you want on the right - Menus tab, right-click on Main Menus to add the top-level Scripts menu if it doesn't exist at all.

Ok thanks, I'll try that.  Another silly question; will putting these into the Favorites menu help keep them from disappearing? 

Just reporting in for the benefit of others here.

Yes, it did work to drag them over, however 4 of the actions were scripts that simply stopped working.  When I deleted them from the custom section and re-added them from the Content Library (Create Custom Action) they began working again.  I'm sure that is no surprise to the Daz folks, but I add it here for the benefit of future readers of this papyrus.  :D

I then saved the Layout as my normal custom one.  I'll keep an eye on when, if and under what circumstances these disappear again.

• Not sure why some scripts would have stopped working if the paths were still correct, but I'm glad you were able to sort it out.

• hwgs1971hwgs1971 Posts: 130

I'm having a similar issuee. Not only does the Scripts menu disappear from the toolbar every time I close and re-open Daz, but so does Favorites. I have not used Daz Studio for a few months, did a full reinstall on a new computer, spent a lot of time making custom actions, and all that work was lost. Each time I re-open Daz, it's like it forgets all my Workspace settings in addition to removing Scripts and Favorites.

• hwgs1971 said:

I'm having a similar issuee. Not only does the Scripts menu disappear from the toolbar every time I close and re-open Daz, but so does Favorites. I have not used Daz Studio for a few months, did a full reinstall on a new computer, spent a lot of time making custom actions, and all that work was lost. Each time I re-open Daz, it's like it forgets all my Workspace settings in addition to removing Scripts and Favorites.

My workspace resets every time I reopen Daz. - Daz 3D Forums  

• I see this also...Same thing...I lose all my custom scripts that I laboriously had in my customized scripts list...there were at least 100...It has happened 3 times in the last 2 weeks.

My solution has been to save my studio work on an external drive and go back to a full computer B/U with Acronis, then reimport my work. The Acronis BU from an earlier date restores my scripts...but WHAT is going on..?!!?

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,341

And this is 4.20.0.17 in Help>About Daz Studio?