Should I return this asset?

RoseSaxtonRoseSaxton Posts: 38

I purchased this RDNA Victoria Bone Armor 1 and did the best I could with "fit to Freja 8 HD" and while it's oddly freaky and sexy, it's not working.

https://www.daz3d.com/rdna-victoria-bone-armor-1

Can I fit these pieces to this character or is it not worth the effort?

Is there a version of female bone armor that is for Gen 8?

It doesn't say what version of Genesis it's compatible with in the description. Is "Victoria 1" the clue I missed?

bone armor.png
1280 x 720 - 394K
Post edited by RoseSaxton on

Comments

• margravemargrave Posts: 1,822

Yeah, looks like that's an extremely ancient, pre-Genesis outfit that somehow lost its compatibility metadata. If you want to get it working, you'd need to do a lot of manual work, including updating the materials for Iray.

• How can I tell when something is old? 

The promo pics will look lo-poly and lo-rez and the included files list will be full of obsolete Poser formats like CR2 and MC6.

The SKU is also a dead giveaway. Current products are in the 80000 range, whereas that is 28000.

• HylasHylas Posts: 4,900

Maybe one of these?

https://www.daz3d.com/dforce-death-strike-outfit-poses-and-battleaxe-for-genesis-8-females

https://www.daz3d.com/skull-queen-for-genesis-2-female-s

"Endless Corruption" by Lilflame on Renderosity

Oh btw the answer to your question is yes

• margrave said:

Yeah, looks like that's an extremely ancient, pre-Genesis outfit that somehow lost its compatibility metadata. If you want to get it working, you'd need to do a lot of manual work, including updating the materials for Iray.

It's for Victoria 1/2 and Stephanie by the description. I'm not sure how practical converting it would be - perhaps cross Dresser would convert it to Victoria 4, the AutoFit to Genesis, then AutoFit that to the desired final figure.

Richard Haseltine said:

It's for Victoria 1/2 and Stephanie by the description. I'm not sure how practical converting it would be - perhaps cross Dresser would convert it to Victoria 4, the AutoFit to Genesis, then AutoFit that to the desired final figure.

I'm curious why it has a 28000 SKU, which is well after Genesis 3 came out. 

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,885

margrave said:

Richard Haseltine said:

I'm curious why it has a 28000 SKU, which is well after Genesis 3 came out. 

I would guess that that's when Daz acquired RDNA's catalog.

• NorthOf45NorthOf45 Posts: 5,438

It was an RDNA buyout, and they all got a range of numbers from the mid-24Ks to somewhere in the mid-30Ks. They do sort themselves in the main shop pages according to release date, so that can give you an idea when it was initially released.

I see. So it's basically the opposite of nowadays, when Daz takes a PA's name off but leaves the SKU intact. I assume the different SKU is why Daz-Deals link to the Read Me doesn't work, either.

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,885

This all happened before my time, but were these RDNA products originally available in the Daz store, or were they off-site and then moved to Daz with the acquisition?

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,013
    edited December 2021

Gordig said:

This all happened before my time, but were these RDNA products originally available in the Daz store, or were they off-site and then moved to Daz with the acquisition?

Runtime DNA had their own shop as far as I can remember

Post edited by PerttiA on
  • RoseSaxton said:

It doesn't say what version of Genesis it's compatible with in the description. Is "Victoria 1" the clue I missed?

Alas, yes. 

• NorthOf45NorthOf45 Posts: 5,438

Gordig said:

A bit of both, actually. Some used to be here at the start, like 15-20 years ago, and were revived with their original SKU, but most were re-numbered. New ones to DAZ got new numbers, obviously. And, about 99% of them do not have any readme's in the Documentation center.

• Thank you. I'm learning so much about Daz. I will return this and a few others that didn't work for me and then I'll learn to look at the Sku numbers and make sure it's not ancient.

• Note: old products can still sometimes be worth getting (in my opinion), especially if you apply more up-to-date textures or shaders to them. 

• Older buildings can be useful for background scenery because they tend to be simpler models and cause less slow-down on my computer. 
    • And I find older vehicles often have more more moving parts than recent equivilents.  Consider some of the ancient dropship-type vehicles by Nightshift3d (Gryphon Cargo CarrierTyphons Rage Gunship) or petipet (Starship Sky HammerAircraft Condor), which have multiple moving parts and fully-realised interiors.  Vs. some much newer equivilents from other creators that look nicer but have far fewer moving parts and in some cases (MIL Dropship, SharkT Air Striker) no interior.

Older costumes, on the other hand, and probably not worth getting unless you are using older characters.

• If anybody is interested, that item is free atm.

• pwiecekpwiecek Posts: 1,575

I have the RDNA product. File dates c. 2002

• lukon100lukon100 Posts: 792

Ya. I got that armor for free recently, and I just now tried to get it on G3F and G8F using some autofit clones.

Mostly failure. This armor may be using some rigging scheme that the fitting clones cannot handle.

I've noticed that some V4 clothing is just like that. No possible way of fitting them with any fitting clone. While other V4 clothing works perfectly with the fitting clones.