DAZ Studio in a small 2-PC home network

I am considering setting up a little home network, just two computers. The idea is to create scenes on the main computer and send them to the second computer where the rendering will take place while I create another scene on the now idle main computer. Can that set-up be accomplished with DAZ Studio? Thanks to one and all.

Comments

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,885

A scene file is essentially just a bunch of links to content, so as long as both computers have the same content (I have mine stored on a NAS, for example), then they should both be able to load the same scenes.

• RayDAntRayDAnt Posts: 1,132

Like @Gordig said, having your actual 3D content source files stored on a network attached storage device is a pretty good way to accomplish this. Although Daz Studio - in conjunction with Iray - offers a pretty nifty bespoke alternative to all of that that does away with a number of tricky issues (like needing to keep Daz Studio installations across multiple computers in perfect sync):

Iray Server

It does cost money past its 30-day trial, but it is stunningly effective at doing what it does (turning one or more other computers on your local network into your very own personal external machine render farm.) With one glaring flaw - no support for directly rendering animations (sending individual frames as separate rendering tasks exists as a time/resource consuming workaround) due to Daz's developers having yet to implement that portion of Iray's functionality.

• cridgitcridgit Posts: 1,757
    edited May 2022

Redacted

Post edited by cridgit on
  • Thank you Gordig, RayDAnt, and cridgit. I appreciate the replies very much indeed.

• Ok, I have my content on my main computer. I can access it from my laptop. All the content. I shared the folder across the network. When I buy something it goes on my main computer. Just make sure manifest files are installed in the folder you are sharing.

2021-12-15.png
    1920 x 1080 - 416K
    2021-12-15 (2).png
    1920 x 1080 - 999K
    2021-12-15 (3).png
    1920 x 1080 - 306K
    2021-12-15 (5).png
    1920 x 1080 - 445K
  • Thanks, AgitatedRiot.