Mesh Grabber - Easier way to pull mesh outward/inward?

ShadowzShadowz Posts: 45

So I got Mesh Grabber and am totally new to it and I wanted to know if there is quicker ways of doing things so here are some things I would like to know.

1. How do you extrude inwards/outwards? For example this is my selection:

Now, if I wanted to pull the pants outwards, how can I achieve that? Something like this below picture but this is VERY MESSY and uneven but I think its good enough to give people an idea of what I mean:

So I would like to do something like that evenly stretching it outward or inward. The messy version of the outward effect on the pants had to be done by first doing the front first, then the back, then the right side and then the left side etc but its so time consuming and difficult to keep it evenly stretched outwards. There's gotta be an easier way. Also from the first picture, I had to draw on the faces to make it lined up all around, is there an easier way for that too? Like in blender you have the control to quickly select faces inline horizontally or vertically with shortcuts. 

Appreciate any help that can help this newbie out. Also if there are certain useful shortcuts, do let me know (I know about the ctrl + and ctrl - selection shortcuts). Thanks

Post edited by Shadowz on

Comments

• margravemargrave Posts: 1,822

There's only so much you can do to add modeling features to a program that is not a modeler.

Export to Blender, use the loop select tools you mentioned, and re-import as a morph. I can guarantee that it'll be quicker than futzing around with Mesh Grabber.

• margrave said:

There's only so much you can do to add modeling features to a program that is not a modeler.

Export to Blender, use the loop select tools you mentioned, and re-import as a morph. I can guarantee that it'll be quicker than futzing around with Mesh Grabber.

+1000

I really feel for people who try to do the simplest of things in Daz Studio using some clunky plugin. Scaling inward/outward is literally three keystrokes in Blender, and that's including the ones to get into and back out of edit mode.

• margrave said:

Might just have to do that then. Really thought there would be some way to do that with mesh grabber though since it already has stuff like grow and shrink selection implemented.. Anyway thanks for your suggestion.

• TheMysteryIsThePoint said:

margrave said:

+1000

I really feel for people who try to do the simplest of things in Daz Studio using some clunky plugin. Scaling inward/outward is literally three keystrokes in Blender, and that's including the ones to get into and back out of edit mode.

lol I did notice Daz to be somewhat restrictive and even counter intuitive when it comes to design, features and ease of use. Not too long ago I was having an issue with dforce hairs not showing in render even though the "Preview PR" was set to on(which solved most people's issue). By pure luck I stumbled on one forum that mentioned that making sure that you shouldn't have geometry tool selected otherwise it won't show the dforce hair in render and since I was using mesh grabber, its basically the same thing so once I switch to scene navigator, it worked frown. Would be nice if applying dforce hair show a dialog box or something to warn people of these things at the very least.

• TheMysteryIsThePointTheMysteryIsThePoint Posts: 2,923
    edited December 2021

@Shadowz If you want to give it a try, shuffle on over to the Blender forum... instead of people exaggerating its difficulty, you'll find lots of friendly people who actually use Blender and who want to see you succeed and will field all your questions and doubts.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • NorthOf45NorthOf45 Posts: 5,439

How about a Push Modifier with a weight map? Or a D-Former with a weight map? No need for third-party tools. If they work for you, great, but there are built-in methods that you can set up in a snap.

• TynkereTynkere Posts: 834

Fit control adds morphs before running clothing sim.  Add or remove as needed.  Would work for your example on the pants for example.

https://www.daz3d.com/fit-control-bundle-for-genesis-8-females-and-males