how to change color of strand based hair? (solved)

starionwolfstarionwolf Posts: 3,670

I changed the R color but the hair still renders as blonde/yellow in 3Delight.  Changing the other colors in the surfaces panel doesn't change the rendered color either.  I'm stumped.

daz studio.jpg
409 x 538 - 68K
Post edited by starionwolf on

Comments

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,872
    edited December 2021

Here is the shader you want to apply to the strand based hair surfaces if you are rendering in Iray. Then change the Hair Root Color, Tip Root Color, Root Transmission Color, Tip Transmission Color, etc.

Iray dual lobe shader.jpg
    601 x 359 - 46K
    Post edited by barbult on
  • GordigGordig Posts: 9,886
    edited December 2021

You appear to changing the SPECULAR color, not the base color. I've never dealt with dForce hair/SBH in 3DL, but from the (truncated) options in your screenshot, I'd guess that the parameters you want to mess with would be under either Lines or General. Maybe even Ambient & D..., if the D is short for "diffuse". 

Post edited by Gordig on
  • GordigGordig Posts: 9,886

I spent some time messing with the default SBH 3DL shader, and although I've had some success changing the color, I have no idea how one is SUPPOSED to do it. There doesn't seem to be any diffuse color option anywhere, so even with some pretty outrageous colors, the best I've been able to achieve is some highlighting in the otherwise immutably white hair.

• starionwolfstarionwolf Posts: 3,670

I an't find the diffuse color paramater.  I guess I'll need to use the Iray shader instead of the RSL shader.  Thanks for reading.

• starionwolf said:

I an't find the diffuse color paramater.  I guess I'll need to use the Iray shader instead of the RSL shader.  Thanks for reading.

Base Colour is used instead of Diffuse Colour in many Iray shaders.

• starionwolfstarionwolf Posts: 3,670

I found the base section in the shader pane.  Thanks.

daz studio.jpg
    551 x 638 - 101K