Rendering

hi all. Excuse my ignorance with this, but i have seen some art in the gallery where the author has said that it was done after 5 renders, must say the results look really good. The question is how can you do more than one render, which is all i seem to be able to do is one ? thanks

pete

Comments

• margravemargrave Posts: 1,822

That could mean any number of things. Unless you have a link to an exact quote, then we can't help you much.

• margrave said:

That could mean any number of things. Unless you have a link to an exact quote, then we can't help you much.

thanks

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,886

Without knowing anything about the render in question, I would say the most likely answer is one of these two:

1) The artist used Iray canvases, available in the advanced tab of the render pane. These generate multiple passes from a single render based on certain criteria, like depth (distance from camera), lights, emission, or different sets of items in the scene. These canvases give you a greater level of control in postworking renders because you can isolate different elements of the render into layers in whatever image editing software you use.

2) The artist was doing something similar to @algovincian, who, per my poor understanding of their process, renders the same image multiple times to generate line art using custom algorithms, then composites them together.

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,314
    edited December 2021

Or possibly:

3) The artist made an initial render (with background, props, etc), then several renders with transparent backdrop of sections of the scene, then used photo editing software to composite them - a frequently used method to avoid attempting a render of a large scene with many characters which is unlikely to fit onto GPU RAM to render in one go.

Post edited by MelanieL on
  • frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,910

Or it could've simply meant that it took them 5 tries adjusting settings until they got the one they liked.

• Hi thanks for all your comments, they are quite helpful. i wasn't aiming at any particular render i am doing, just rendering in general. But thanks everyone. have a nice christmas and a good new year everyone