Converting Genesis 8 to Genesis 8.1 (Textures) for Export external to Daz Studio.

I was getting ready to use Genesis 8.1 Exported into Unity.  I have a pipeline for that which works quite well.   However, I just discovered that my Genesis 8 textures will not work correctly with a Genesis 8.1 exported model.  They MOSTLY do.  Until you get to the new "Head" material and the fact it no longer pulls from the Torso texture.   Putting the Torso texture in that material does not work properly.  Putting the Face texture in there doesn't work either and you end up with lips in the middle of the neck.

I have a lot of Genesis 8 characters.  I intended to use them with 8.1 (which I have far less of).  I was hoping to benefit a little from the increased face topology.  I do a little alteration in code after the fact and the increased topology might work well with that.

Is there any utility that I can use to generate a Genesis 8.1 compatible HEAD texture from a Genesis 8 texture set?   I realize Daz Studio itself can adapt.  Yet I don't tend to use Daz characters inside of Daz Studio other than for Decimation, Exporting, etc.

I do have some experiments I am getting ready to do which might be a solution.  It'll be a long process but I'll give it a shot.  I am going to try mapping textures to an 8.1 character in DAZ Studio and then Export them WITH textures.  I'll see if it gives me converted textures or not. (Result: It does not)

Any help with this would be appreciated.  Otherwise I have a week or so of work to repeat using just Genesis 8 and I'll have no interest in Genesis 8.1 products since they won't be useful to me.  I would like for them to be useful.

The eyelashes from Genesis 8 also seem to look weird when applied to the Texture slot.  I'll include some images from Unity where I am working with Edward 8 textures on a Genesis 8.1 Male.

I did attempt the experiment I listed above of exporting a Genesis 8.1 Male with Edward 8 mapped to it and having it include the textures to a file.  This did not produce a different texture for use with the head.

In these attached images I have Goran HD (8.1 figure) eye textures since I had no luck getting Edward 8 eyes to work with this figure either.

I am likely going to begin the task of recreating the 100s of exports I did for this project (I broke up a lot of different body parts, etc) using just Genesis 8.  I had no problems working with that pipeline.  I'd love to be able to use Genesis 8.1 in the future or if you respond quickly enough perhaps now and saving me a week of exporting.

I didn't bother tweaking all the materials in the exported figure with the black eyelashes.  I mainly wanted to show that it did indeed have a working head texture.  When I look at the model it is showing the same torso texture I've been attempting to use with no luck.

ExportedDaz8.1WithEdwardAndEmbeddedTextures.PNG
290 x 332 - 118K
UsingTorsoTextureOnHeadSlot.PNG
496 x 552 - 341K
UsingFaceTextureOnHeadSlotPNG.PNG
597 x 603 - 410K

Comments

• I thought I'd mention that I exported a Genesis 8 character and all of the texture maps work great.  I have not had success getting Genesis 8 textures to work properly with Genesis 8.1 figures outside of Daz Studio.

Genesis8WorksFine.PNG
    371 x 390 - 141K
  • The differences between 8 and 8.1 are the new surface groups and the changed UVs - the geometry itself is unchanged, though you may have morphs that are 8.1-specific.