Linday dforce hair -> Ponytail

I found a highly interesting instruction on how to convert an open hair with dforce, for example one of Linday's, to a ponytail.

http://www.deviantart.com/kervala/art/How-to-create-a-ponytail-from-a-dForce-hair-857004103

However I just don't get it done. It turns out asymmetrical, the hairband doesn't sit right or ist to small and hair drops out of it.

Has anyone ever tried  such a conversion successfully and could enlighten me?

Comments

• felisfelis Posts: 4,197

I haven't tried.

The guide says it has to be for the dForce cloth engine - is it that?

I didn't see it in the guide, but I think I would turn self collision Off.

Maybe try to post an image of what you are getting.

If the hair passes through the torus, it might be that it either needs more frames to simulate or more subframes.

• The problem is that the marketing people for some reason chose to describe two almost completely different things as "Dforce hair." There's hair that has regular geometry and uses the dforce cloth engine, and there's strand based hair which kinda grows from the scalp. The latter is what "dforce hair" usually means in the shop, except where it doesn't.

Looks like an interesting technique, but really we're not short of ponytails.

• chris-2599934 said:

The problem is that the marketing people for some reason chose to describe two almost completely different things as "Dforce hair." There's hair that has regular geometry and uses the dforce cloth engine, and there's strand based hair which kinda grows from the scalp. The latter is what "dforce hair" usually means in the shop, except where it doesn't.

Looks like an interesting technique, but really we're not short of ponytails.

Hair made with dForce (cloth) was around long before actual dForce hair. Product requirements for newer items at least should distinguich in the Supported Software section.

• NinefoldNinefold Posts: 256

You can generally tell SBH dForce hair apart from polygonal dForce hair because the former will be named "dForce Wotsits Hair" in the store, and the latter will be named "Wotsits hair with dForce".

Looking at Kervala's screenshots, I suspect this is just an imprecise process that tends to produce rough results. Turning off self-collision is a good idea but may give unaesthetic results. Compressing a lot of simulated cloth into a small space tends to be challenging for any engine -- it will want to pop through whatever's compressing it. Using a higher-resolution torus may help.