Missing Smart Content

anaximanes_2000anaximanes_2000 Posts: 342

Just reinstalled Daz to a new computer and as usual I am running into issues, but every time I face these things I learn.  The last time, I did not save my Manifest Files, but this time I did!  Still, contant is seemingly missing- all of my adult content.

As you can see from the picture:

1. Within Smart Content, Daz sees the thumnail of the product, but does not show anything.

2. I have the Manifest Files, so you can see that Install Manager sees all the products.

3. Double-Checking in Windows validates that the XML Manifests are all there for these products.

4. All the Manifest XML files appear to be valid and show no issues within their programming.

5. Even "Reimporting Metadata" inside Daz Studio itself for the selected content does nothing.  However, the logs for Daz and the IM say, "2021-12-05 01:32:30.419 Metadata for 142 packages imported in 00::00::00::362"

So, if the metadata for all 142 items is there, it is reading the manifest files, and everything is precisely as it ever was- why does Smart (Misnomer) Content no longer show my products on this new computer?  Anyone have any idea or am I going to have to uninstall them all, go to the adult site, download all my purchases, put them back through the content packager, and reinstall them again... and do it every time I ever move my content- even though it's all there and the manifest files are fine?

Any help on this would be great.

(Image removed by mod for language)

Post edited by frank0314 on

Comments

• NorthOf45NorthOf45 Posts: 5,440

The metadata that drives the Smart Content is not contained in the installation Manifests, it comes from files in the Runtime/Support folder, which contains all the installed metadata, and come with the products, if available. Any metadata that you add manually is not saved automatically, but is stored in the CMS database. Normally, you would export the User Data (from the Content DB Maintenance utility) to write one or more files (UserData_1.dsx, UserData_2.dsx, etc.) to the Runtime/Support folder that would contain any changes you made. These would then be available to re-import along with the Vendor Data.

Even if there is no metadata file supplied with the product, the installation process (like DIM) will generate a minimum set of metadata to at least define the product and its assets, but there will be no compatibility or content type without adding it yourself, either manually or with some third-party tools. That is likely what you are seeing with the Re-Import Metadata dialog, not the data that you might have added later.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,013

For DAZ sold products DAZ writes the metadata into the installation files and that metadata is then saved into ...\Runtime\Support\

Somehow I get the impression that those are not from DAZ

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,910

Therefore not in Smart Content

• anaximanes_2000anaximanes_2000 Posts: 342
    edited December 2021

They are not from Daz, they are the adult content stuff I have.  They always appeared in Smart Content because I use the Content Packager from Daz here and it generates all the correct files for it to be in Smart Content.  Last time I moved everything the issue had been not moving Manifest Files, so now I need to find another thing called Runtime/Support.  Can anyone tell me the usual path for this?

I have this:

D:\Public Documents\My DAZ 3D Library\Runtime\Support

As an example of a "Runtime/Support" and it also has all the aforementioned XML files (See Figure 3. in OP attachment).  So, is there something I have to do to tell Daz to find that folder or something?

Post edited by anaximanes_2000 on
  • In the Content Library pane option menu (the lined/hamburger button in the top corner, orr ight-click the tab) select Content DB Maintenance, then in the dialogue check Reimport Metadata. A new dialogue will open when you click Accept, allowing you to selectively import metadata from any /Runtime/Support folders in your active content directories.

• Thanks Richard, but you removed the screenshots, and that was figure 5. as mentioned in the OP, so it is not working.

The prefix for support files are .dsa, .dsx and .jpg/.png for the thumbnail

• anaximanes_2000anaximanes_2000 Posts: 342
    edited December 2021

Here is a reupload of the OP.s original picture with any naughty words removed lol

Censored4Kids.jpg
    3000 x 1080 - 2M
    Post edited by anaximanes_2000 on
  • PerttiA said:

The prefix for support files are .dsa, .dsx and .jpg/.png for the thumbnail

So, on my old computer, it should have those?  In the Runtime path I linked up there, it has the jpg and the xml, but no DSA or DSX files, but if it had been in Smart Content on my old rig, those will be there?

The .dsx in ...\Runtime\Support\ is the one that contains the metadata

Why don't you check your old computer

anaximanes_2000 said:

Thanks Richard, but you removed the screenshots, and that was figure 5. as mentioned in the OP, so it is not working.

The image had offensive language in the filenames

• I will as soon as I get it back from PCLaptops.  They took it in and said it would be over a month, and my job is making Daz renders for a living so I would lose too much money, so I dropped $9300 on this new rig (so I can continue creating content for my investors) while they fix the old one, but when I get it back I can check there.  This is affecting my workflow though for my adult content, and it is hurting my bottom line, hence my desire to nip it in the bud ASAP.

• frank0314 said:

anaximanes_2000 said:

Thanks Richard, but you removed the screenshots, and that was figure 5. as mentioned in the OP, so it is not working.

Yes, that is correct, I reuploded it and removed the "offensive" language lol

So why don't you use the Content Library, DAZ Studio Formats, it's all there in the folders that you installed them into.
    You can check the installation file for the location if you have hard time finding them.

• That is what I am having to do, but it is not as simple as one might think.  You see, for many of these, the file names are exactly the same for the different poses. So, as an example for you, I probably have 60 pose sets from these where the poses are labeled "G8F 01" "G8F 02" and down the line, so when I am trying to use a set, I have to go through hundreds of duplicates to find the 02 that would be the next pose after the 01 for just one set, if that makes sense.  I'd give you visual aids, but it would offend someone's delicate sensibilities.  It's just not as simple as looking up actual Daz content from here in the content library.  I will also add that the content library does not load very fast off this external drive, unlike Smart Content.  Either way, the more adult content that I produce, the more money that I make, so time is money, and so on as you know the old addage.  I guess my hands are tied for now, until I get that back.  I thought about redownloading and reinstalling them all via the Content Package Assist from here on Daz, but oddly, I cannot find it.  It downloaded through the Install Manager, but I cannot find the .exe so another thorn in my side lol

Again, the installation manifest files do not contain metadata for Smart Content. Making a DIM-compatible installer with CPA does not create metadata for Smart Content. The Smart part comes from metadata that defines compatibility between, for example, figures and, say, applicable poses or props. Third-party products are not likely to have any of that, so you must add it yourself. Since this didn't trigger any reaction, I wil lassume that you did not do that.

What does get generated when installing is a minimum set of metadata that defines the product and its contents, nothing more. I notice in the screenshot that you select a product, but do not select "All Files" to at least get a list. Since there are also no categories (Default or otherwise), something is not lining up somewhere. If anything, all of those products would end up in the Lost and Found category.

Have you configured all your libraries in Studio (Content Directory Manager) to match those used for installation by DIM?

anaximanes_2000 said:

I probably have 60 pose sets from these where the poses are labeled "G8F 01" "G8F 02" and down the line, so when I am trying to use a set, I have to go through hundreds of duplicates to find the 02 that would be the next pose after the 01 for just one set, if that makes sense. 

That tells me that you are not looking for the files in folders where they are installed, but in "Products" or "Categories", which are also nothing more than database driven lists.

There simply cannot be hundreds of duplicates inside a folder, because there cannot be several files with a same name in any folder.

anaximanes_2000 said:

frank0314 said:

anaximanes_2000 said:

Yes, that is correct, I reuploded it and removed the "offensive" language lol

Thank you

• NorthOf45 said:

Again, the installation manifest files do not contain metadata for Smart Content. Making a DIM-compatible installer with CPA does not create metadata for Smart Content. The Smart part comes from metadata that defines compatibility between, for example, figures and, say, applicable poses or props. Third-party products are not likely to have any of that, so you must add it yourself. Since this didn't trigger any reaction, I wil lassume that you did not do that.

What does get generated when installing is a minimum set of metadata that defines the product and its contents, nothing more. I notice in the screenshot that you select a product, but do not select "All Files" to at least get a list. Since there are also no categories (Default or otherwise), something is not lining up somewhere. If anything, all of those products would end up in the Lost and Found category.

Have you configured all your libraries in Studio (Content Directory Manager) to match those used for installation by DIM?

Ok, the Content Package Assist:

https://www.daz3d.com/content-package-assist

As far as I know has always created everything I need for Smart Content in the past.  On both the previous computers, this was not an issue as I would go to the Intall Manager and say "Re-Install Metadata of selected" and everything would show up in the lost and found within Daz Studio.  There would be pictures and everything and it would look just like all other Smart Content, even though it was purchased from a different website.  I do not know what the Content Directory Manager is, as I am an artist and not a computer tech, so I am unsure why this process is not more streamlined.  If you can describe to me in ordered detail, step-by-step on what you think I should do regarding this Directory Manager, I will be grateful.

• PerttiA said:

anaximanes_2000 said:

I probably have 60 pose sets from these where the poses are labeled "G8F 01" "G8F 02" and down the line, so when I am trying to use a set, I have to go through hundreds of duplicates to find the 02 that would be the next pose after the 01 for just one set, if that makes sense. 

That tells me that you are not looking for the files in folders where they are installed, but in "Products" or "Categories", which are also nothing more than database driven lists.

There simply cannot be hundreds of duplicates inside a folder, because there cannot be several files with a same name in any folder.

I *almost* feel as if you are attacking me, but it might be communication, as I am autistic and do not always read things as they are meant to be conveyed.  All I can tell you is, for example, I own a ton of Layla's content from Renderotica.  She labels everything always the same, so, it does not matter if I try to search for "INSERT ADULT CONTENT HERE Poses for G8F" or "INSERT DIFFERENT ADULT CONTENT HERE Poses for G8F" this sure is difficult to try and describe since I cannot show you pictures and I cannot use any words lol  All I can tell you is that it is not as simple as you think in the Content Library.  To use her as an example:

Search for Layla - nothing comes up.

Search for say Lesbian (since Lesbian is not a naughty word I think it's ok) - 324 files show up.  However, since they are all named the same, G8F 01 is there 30 times.  Each one a different pose from a different pose set of Layla's, so if I want to go to the next pose in any particular Lesbian set, I have to scroll through 30 thumbnails and then find the 02 that matches that particular 01.  Or find the 08, or whatever.  However, in Smart Content each "Lesbian" content each had it's one Smart Content thumbnail seperated by the partciular poses which would probably be considered too naughty to say here, but they were organized by set.  Easy, fast, reliable, and appared like all other Smart Content, including everything from this site.

Without showing you pictures, this is the best I can try to do to explain the issue with Library Content vs the ease-of-use of Smart Content (when SC is working).

• Oh yeah, North, I forgot to show you that some of my 3rd party stuff, like this one- DO still work in Smart Content just fine.  Maybe that will help track down the cause for you techies.

Untitled-4.jpg
    455 x 670 - 106K

anaximanes_2000 said:

PerttiA said:

anaximanes_2000 said:

I *almost* feel as if you are attacking me, but it might be communication, as I am autistic and do not always read things as they are meant to be conveyed.  All I can tell you is, for example, I own a ton of Layla's content from Renderotica.  She labels everything always the same, so, it does not matter if I try to search for "INSERT ADULT CONTENT HERE Poses for G8F" or "INSERT DIFFERENT ADULT CONTENT HERE Poses for G8F" this sure is difficult to try and describe since I cannot show you pictures and I cannot use any words lol  All I can tell you is that it is not as simple as you think in the Content Library.  To use her as an example:

Search for Layla - nothing comes up.

Search for say Lesbian (since Lesbian is not a naughty word I think it's ok) - 324 files show up.  However, since they are all named the same, G8F 01 is there 30 times.  Each one a different pose from a different pose set of Layla's, so if I want to go to the next pose in any particular Lesbian set, I have to scroll through 30 thumbnails and then find the 02 that matches that particular 01.  Or find the 08, or whatever.  However, in Smart Content each "Lesbian" content each had it's one Smart Content thumbnail seperated by the partciular poses which would probably be considered too naughty to say here, but they were organized by set.  Easy, fast, reliable, and appared like all other Smart Content, including everything from this site.

Without showing you pictures, this is the best I can try to do to explain the issue with Library Content vs the ease-of-use of Smart Content (when SC is working).

I'm not attacking anyone, only giving you advice.

If you navigate to DAZ Studio Formats->[The name of your Content Library]->People->Genesis 8 Female->Poses->Layla, you will find her pose sets all in their own subfolders, no need to search for anything and no mixing up between the sets.

First, check in Windows Explorer if the files are in the correct place. They should be if you copied the entire library to the same location on the new rig. The Content Library will have the same folder structure, and will be what you used when packaging with CPA, which should have at least one folder per product.

Do you install everything to the same library? You can have more than one, but let's keep this simple for now. Since some of the content shows up properly with categories, I will assume that the library path is properly defined. You can check it from Content Directory Manager: right-click on the Content Library tab, or use the Context menu (the "hamburger" menu when Content Library is selected). Look for Content Sets - Current Directories - DAZ Studio Formats. Your base path for the library should be listed there, and should be the same as the Content Path shortcut in use from DIM - Advanced Settings - Installation.

I notice in your screen cap that your manifest shows the installation path as "C:\User\Public\Documents\My..." but in an earlier post you mention "D:\Public Documents\My DAZ 3D Library". Have you changed the drive for the library? As long as the relative paths are the same, it should not interfere with operation. It will interfere when you go to show installed files (DIM will read the manifest, but the files won't be where they were at the time when installed, but that can be corrected by changing the UserInstallPath string).

The metadata for the Smart Content (such as it is) will be in the .dsx files in the Runtime\Support folder that you mentioned earlier. They are plain text, so you can edit one of the problematic products to see if it has the appropriate info. There should be, among other things, a Product value, and Assets, each with a value that has the relative path in the library and the filename. If so, then in the Products view of Content Library, navigate to the product to see if the assets are defined for it. When you click on the product name, it should list all the assets it contains.

That's enough to check for now, let's see where it goes from here.

• @Pertti - Are you saying I somehow do Daz from inside WIndows Explorer?  I am confused about what you mean.

Thanks for continuing to try to help me, North.  I'll kind of break down everything that you said.

1. I do install everything to the same library (as far as my understanding goes).

2. You said to go to the Content Directory Manager and click the hambuger, but I do not know what that is.  I do know there is something called "CMS" but if I clicked to start it in Daz Studio, nothing happens, so if that has to do with the CMS, then, I cannot access it.

3. Well, temporarily while awaiting a new internal drive, I have it pulling everything from an external drive.  Is that the issue?  (Though the other content is all showing up)

4.  I went to D:\Public Documents\My DAZ 3D Library\Runtime\Support and found the .DSX files.  So I will use Sledgehammer's "Kiss those frogs" as an example.

a. Used Notepad++ to open it up.

b. Searched for the Products and Assets bits as you asked and found:

<Products>
      <Product VALUE="Kiss Those Frogs G8">
       <StoreID VALUE="DAZ 3D"/>
       <GlobalID VALUE="4b802315-6ef2-4fc7-9255-510844ea618b"/>
       <ProductToken VALUE="4314696409480670-1"/>
       <Assets>
        <Asset VALUE="/My Library/People/!SledgeHammerG8/KissThoseFrogs/KTF00 !!SledgeHammer.duf"/>

I did not copy all the rest.  So, it does not show me C: or a D: or anything like that for me to switch.  But, that's what I found as an example.

edited December 2021

anaximanes_2000 said:

@Pertti - Are you saying I somehow do Daz from inside WIndows Explorer?  I am confused about what you mean.

Not Windows Explorer, but the Content Library.

Expand the tree by clicking at the triangles.

People.JPG
    261 x 709 - 35K
    Post edited by PerttiA on
    edited December 2021

We'll figure it out...

CMS is the database utility and should be running for Studio to use any Smart Content functionality. Contents will still be available, but no enhancements like content type or compatibility. Make sure you select "Start CMS" if you have previously turned it off. It should start up when you start DIM or Studio.

The Content Directory Manager can be accessed from the pop-up context menu if you right-click on the Content Library tab, or click on the small icon at the far right of the main tab pane with a small arrow and four parallel lines (looks like a hamburger, hence the nickname). There is one of those for every tab group, and it changes depending which tab is active. The Content Directory Manager allows you to map folders to use as Libraries in Studio. 

If you do change the path to the library (by moving it all to an external drive), you only need to change it once with Content Directory Manager. Seeing as how other products work, I assume it is properly done, but just check to make sure the path is set for the external drive.. You can have more than one library, and many users use external drives due to space limitations on their internal drives.

The .dsx files in Runtime\Support do not contain the top-level library path, only the relative path for the assets. That way, the library can be moved with little or no impact to functionality. The .dsx with the installation path is the one in the Manifest Archive defined in the DIM Advanced Settings - Installation. You should not need to change it at this point, so wait for that.

To use your eample of Kiss Those Frogs G8, go to the Products view of Content Library - K - Kiss Those Frogs, and you should see all assets contained in that product. Those same assets should show up in the Smart Content view when selecting the product and choosing All Files. There should be some category showing under Default, most likely Lost and Found.

Post edited by NorthOf45 on