Mesh issue in Poser 10 and M4's ears

DarwinsMishapDarwinsMishap Posts: 4,087
edited December 1969 in Poser Discussion

Yup! Until now, that is. Thank you, btw!

Ok- this is weird.

The crack in both ears is there no matter what I do. I've taken off the displacement to see if it was that. It was still there. I switched and took off the bump completely and left the displacement on, it was still there. I took both the bump and displacement off of M4, and it's STILL there.

I rendered it with one infinite light, no IDL, it's still there (the other renders were all IDL).
First render is no bump/displacement in IDL.
Second is no bump/displacement with no IDL, just the one infinite light.

What the hell?

ear2.jpg
362 x 407 - 58K
ear.jpg
306 x 410 - 62K

Comments

• DarwinsMishapDarwinsMishap Posts: 4,087
    edited December 1969

I started a new scene, with a new M4 and did the process of injecting the morph sets, the dialed morph, the texture set and rendered again (IDL again). They aren't so obvious, but the cracking of his ears is still there. I'm not sure what the heck is wrong, but it's really frustrating to me since I've not had this issue before in making M4 characters using any light rig up until now.

ear.jpg
    312 x 563 - 96K
    ear_2.jpg
    301 x 566 - 93K
  • WandWWandW Posts: 2,809
    edited December 1969

I'm not at my Poser machine, but i think you are seeing a uv seam. Try setting the texture filtering to Crisp for the head material. (this can easily be done globally with Snarlygribley's Scenefixer, if you have it).....

edited December 1969

It is a seam, I've gone in and worked the maps at the seams many times. I will change them to crisp on each (bump, displacement and diffuse) and see if that helps. Thanks!

edited December 1969

Found out it was not a seam that cause the break. The mesh itself has an issue at that spot on both ears. The base, un-textured and unmorphed M4 has it as well. I did use the morph brush in Poser 10 to smooth the issue out and made a dial in his head parameters to fix this issue.

other_ear_example.jpg
    394 x 742 - 104K
  • WandWWandW Posts: 2,809
    edited December 1969

I'm glad you got it straightened out. I tried it, and the issue seems to be related to the smoothing; setting the crease angle for the head to 150 got rid of it for me...