DAZ freezes my computer when I render

I updated from Win7 to 10, six days ago.  As for yesterday, DAZ reinstalled.  But DAZ version 4.16  freezes my computer completely when I render, this morning I started a render and went to work.  When I returned 9 hours later, my computer was frozen, the clock still reads "07:11 AM"

In my 14 years of rendering in Win7, this never happens. 

Comments

• That sounds more like a system issue - given that you just updated from Windows 7 to Windows 10 I would suspect an issue with the driver for your graphics card. Rendering asks quite a lot of the system. What graphics card and driver do you have? Which version of Daz Studio - the general Release is 4.16.0.x, the Public Build 4.16.1.x, and they have different versions of Iray with different driver requirements.

• edited December 2021

I had 4.15, on Win7.  Since I installed Windows 10, I have 4.16.0.3

Same nvidia driver - 496.76, same hardware and GPU.

Post edited by dylan_borg_d673e29d8d on
  • Was it an upgrade or a fresh install of Win10?

• I have the same problem and contacted customer support two weeks ago. I sent them a logfile but still no answer.

It happened after I updated to Win 11 comming from Win 10. Prior to that update everything worked fine. And even after downgrading my computer to Win 10 the problem persists. It happens only while trying to render with Iray and using complex graphics (Maybe some memory-problem).

Even after installing the latest NVidia-driver didn't help.

I'm very disappointed that there is now answer to my problem yet.

• edited December 2021

@AgitatedRiot  Clean install of Windows 10, Drive C was formatted. 

In my case, I cannot be a memory problem.  I diagnosed all my Hard drives, GPU and RAM.  Even a 180 by 180 pixel render causes my computer to freeze / lock up, the system time is frozen from the time the render started.

Post edited by dylan_borg_d673e29d8d on
  • AgitatedRiotAgitatedRiot Posts: 4,404
    edited December 2021

Richard Haseltine said:

What graphics card and driver do you have

What Ricard said.

Edit: System specs run down for us

Post edited by AgitatedRiot on
  • nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 18,032

In the render tab in "Advanced Properties" change the CPU Affinity to use only 1/4 to 1/2 the total CPU hyperthreads. If your render is going to be sent to a GPU after it is set up that this allows you to do other things while the CPU sets up the scene before sending it to the GPU. Now, your computer will still occasionally seize up for a couple of seconds occasionally according the the scene but it won't be for minutes at a time as when you all all CPU threads to be used to set up a scene. 

• I had that problem as well when I upgraded from 10 to 11.. for some reason the handleing of the memory was not being maintained and just filling up until the whole PC would freeze up. I re installed Daz Studio and it seemed to have resolved the issue.