correct process to apply a custom morph on a posed figure?

I'm struggling.

I have a Gen 8.1 figure posed with hair, eyebrows, tears, lashes are applied. All is fine.

But I had to make a new morph to the base figure (I created it in the default A pose). It works fine when I apply the morph dial in the A pose.

How do I get this dial to make the needed shifts? I did the following process but that is WAY too complicated I think.

1. saved the pose as preset
  2. detached all fitted stuff from the base: hair, lashes, tears, brows
  3. zero the figure pose
  4. import the morph obj (with morph loader pro, reverse deformations: yes)
  5. apply the preset pose from step 1
  6. fit lashes, hair etc to base again
  7. dial up the morph

Is this really how complicated this would be? 

Comments

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,886
    edited December 2021

You should probably separate the process of creating and importing morphs from the process of setting a scene up for rendering. Start with the base figure (preferably dev load, if using G8), export that, make your morphs, import them, then start setting the scene. Also, I could be wrong about this, but I don't think you need to reverse deformations if you're applying it to the base figure, only if you're applying it to a morph on top of that figure.

Post edited by Gordig on
  • Reverse Deformations is used when the morph was made on a posed/morphed figure (and requires that the pose/morph is still in effect) - it subtracts out everything but your changes. If the morph is made on the zero shape and pose then just import it through morph Loader, there should be no need to reset the pose or set addditional options like Reverse Deformations.

• Richard Haseltine said:

If the morph is made on the zero shape and pose then just import it through morph Loader

Thanks @richard

So, there is a difference in terms of how the morph is created if I use morph loader versus morph loader pro?

• Sorry, still unclear to me. I usually load the base without anything and then go straight to blender for vertex editing, then import the obj in morph loader pro on the A pose.

After that, I go to town with posing etc, but invariably, I end up needing to make additional changes. Typically, I do those in the custom pose as suggested (reversing deformations), but in this particular case, I had to zero the pose first, then do additinoal modeling.

Question I have: is there a setting in any of the morph loaders that interprets the coordinate deltas on vertices from the A pose and auto-applies all the custom morphs/poses? It sounds like plain morph loader will do that. Did I understand correctly?

• tmtmtm_f56c8d4bda said:

Richard Haseltine said:

If the morph is made on the zero shape and pose then just import it through morph Loader

Thanks @richard

So, there is a difference in terms of how the morph is created if I use morph loader versus morph loader pro?

Morph Loader Pro has more options, I don't usually use the plain version.

If you want to morph a posed or shaped figure then you can work on that, then load the morph back under a new name and use reverse deformations to subtract out the pose and shape. You can also name the OBJ to match an existing morph, and then use the overwrite options to repalce the deltas with the new shape (and Morph Loader pro will; still reverse out the other factors affecting the current shape through Reverse Deformations).