Some hair products makes my computer lag.

Why some hair products make my computer lag when I move the character that has the hair applied to him/her ?

I bought this one today: https://www.daz3d.com/sidd-hair-for-genesis-8-males

When I apply this to a Genesis 8 character my computer lag like crazy when I move my character around.  This is not the only hair product which does that, I have a few more.

Am I missing something ?  Is there a parameter that I have to turn off to prevent lag spike ?

Comments

• margravemargrave Posts: 1,822
    edited November 2021

There's three kinds of hair in Daz Studio (well, really two kinds, but that's splitting hairs--literally).

Hair cards: The most basic kind. Hair is modeled as flat planes with appear 3D due to how they're layered.

Fibermesh: Hair is made of static 3D meshes which are loaded into the viewport.

Strand-based: Hair is made of "guide hairs" which shape the hairstyle, and Iray creates 3D meshes between them at render time to add hundreds of child hairs that follow the guide hairs.

Fibermesh and strand-based hair are pretty much the same thing, just with different ways of creating them. Both of them are very costly, since rendering 3D meshes is more processor intensive than flat hair cards.

Post edited by margrave on
  • Catherine3678abCatherine3678ab Posts: 8,252
    edited November 2021

Add the hair in last. Hide it until working on it for posing, etc.

Not all machines can handle all hair. If you should buy a hair that will not work, unless it was part of some special sale deal - it can be returned {speaking as a customer} {store credit is the faster way to go} within 30 days of purchase. Read the product pages, some vendors are kind enough to share a warning if their hair is too much for some systems.

When rendering, when it gets to the stage where it looks good, stop the render. Also if it gets to the point where nothing seems to be happening, stop the render. Save the results. If it totally zaps the memory, the program will crash and the render would be lost.

Keep in mind that while Iray rendering is fun, 3Delight also works well - just need to apply 3Delight shader presets and adjust the lighting for 3Delight.

Post edited by Catherine3678ab on
  • HylasHylas Posts: 4,905

Sometimes it helps to turn smoothing off until you're ready to render.

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,722

Bottom line is, and this applies to all products, every PA develops differently and all products are made differently, some heavy on resources, others not.