Best off-the-shelf PC for 3delight rendering.

Hey, guys.

I'm not the most tech-savvy person on the planet, and need someone more knowledgable than me to steer me in the right direction.  I've been rendering in 3delight for about a year now, and am looking to upgrade my PC to something more suitable for the job.

I'm not going to be able to put the machine together myself, so what off-the-shelf PC would you guys recommend for someone who renders in 3delight every day and wants to get high quality stuff out in good time? 

Thanks so much for listening.

Comments

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,013

As you used the B-word, the first question is what is your budget?

• PerttiA said:

As you used the B-word, the first question is what is your budget?

Under $3,000 would be great.

• UHFUHF Posts: 512

I would like to point out that you can get an official 3DL single node license for like free I think.  Maybe get a friend to get you another for your main PC.  That way you can offload some rendering from your main PC.

I used to do this back PC wheezing was considered quiet, so I set my old PC up in the basement.

It can also be handy if you want to crank up the detail\resolution on hair and let it run for hours...

• I'm in the process of getting a new rig built (being very lucky to have a techy son). It has a 10th gen i5, 128gb ram, water-cooled, and will keep my old 1030 gpu. I would have got an i7 but my son had just purchased the i5 and found it and the mobo would not run his multiple m.2 ssds so he passed them on to me...free is good, right?! As my favourite thing to do in DS is world build I went for the most ram I could fit on the board, and I'm hoping (fingers crossed) that the six core i5 is a lot faster at rendering than my decade old 4 core i7 and also that the water cooler keeps temps below 75C. As I seldom to never use iray I'm not fussed on a super dooper gpu though I'll be getting Shannon's 1050ti when he upgrades. He also had an extra m.2 ssd that he's given me for a c drive...I already have my content library on an external ssd. The only thing I detest about the whole upgrade is being forced onto W10 through a lack of drivers for w7...that sucks! if I were you I'd get the most powerful cpu and the most ram you can afford, good cooling and ssds for your c and content library.